Anyone cut their kids hair? Need clipper recommendation...

higleytownheros

Mouseketeer
In an effort to save money, I was thinking about starting to cut DS 2.5 and DS 5 hair at home. Does anyone else do this, and what clippers / trimmers do you use? I don't have any haircutting experience ... so I would need to use something that's easy to start with. Any want to share some of their haircutting tips as well?

Thanks!

I buzz the boys and DH. I got a decent set at Target that included all the guards, scissors, cleaning tools, hair clips (to hold the hair out of the way), and a case to hold it all.

I think the set cost less than $20 and since DH needs a haircut every 2weeks it has long since paid for itself.

I got a similar set at KMart--for about the same price. I think its a Wahl.

Its really very easy--and boy's hair grows so quickly that if you mess up, its just a week or so til its long enough to try again.

I used to use a #2 clipper for my son, and a #1 for my DH (who is balding--poor guy). Now DS13 wants a buzz, so we have switched to a #1....that's the shortest cut you can get. I think, though, for a newbie and for the most professional looking cut, you might want to start with a #2 or maybe even a #3.

both my boys want their hair trimmed every 2 - 3 weeks--I can't even imagine how much money I have saved over the years doing this myself. Plus--the boys always look neat and clean. I LOVE a man with a good, short haircut! :lovestruc

My DH cuts ds (3) and ds (6)'s hair at home. They have very thick coarse hair. We have bought a few clippers and had to immediately return them because they did not cut their hair. The only ones we have found that work great are Wahl.

I cut my 2 ds's hair with the Wahl clippers also! DH cuts his own with them as well. Been using Wahl for about 12yrs. I tried a cheaper sunbeam or something once and it was worthless after a couple of trims!

I have cut my boys (6 & 8), DH and my dad and step-mom's hair for several years now. I typically buy a set of Wahl clippers at Wal-Mart every 9 months (I don't bother with trying to sharpen/oil them.) It is very easy to cut all of their hair. For my dad and the boys, I use one size guide and just buzz their entire heads. For my DH and step-mom, I use a shorter guide on the back and sides and then the next step up in size guide for the top.

If you are unsure on how to do it, get a set of clippers with the instructional dvd. It really is easy and saves alot of money. I wouldn't do it if they have complex hair cuts. I'm sure the boys will want to choose their own styles in a few years and when they do I will take them to a professional. Until then the buzz cuts they get now are just fine.

We actually use dog clippers. They are great!

I agree with the Wahl set. Got mine at WalMart for $15. I tried another brand first and it didn't cut all the hairs; it always missed some.

I cut both of my boys hair. I had no clue what I was doing when I first started, but I just went for it, and I have to say I do a pretty good job. They like their hair a little longer so I used a #6 or #7 on the sides and back, and then scissor cut the top. If your children have wavy hair it's a little more forgiving. My older son has stick-straight hair so I have to be VERY careful because every little 'mistake' shows up. But it really not too hard!!! On the last haircut I took my kids to before doing it myself, I just watched what the girl did and I sat there thinking, "Yeah, I could do that." And I did! :) Just cut DS5's hair today and it looks really cute. Another $12 saved!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter