Any word on 2016 Marathon Course

Looks like Western Way has a grass median, so will make for an interesting turn around if the weather is/has been wet.

Looks like Western Way has a grass median, so will make for an interesting turn around if the weather is/has been wet.

Didn't the course cross a grassy median as you were coming out of the Speedway? I seem to recall it did in 2014 and I believe they put down some wood chips?

Didn't the course cross a grassy median as you were coming out of the Speedway? I seem to recall it did in 2014 and I believe they put down some wood chips?
I do remember a grass section there. I don't remember wood chips though.

I was looking at the map again trying to do the course on MapMyRun and noticed what might be another slight change. In the Magic Kingdom it appears the course makes a right turn just after the Magic Tea Party and then goes around 7DMT. When I ran in 2014 the course turned left just after the Magic Tea Party and went in between Winnie the Pooh and 7DMT. The maps appear to be different, but the resolution is so bad its hard to tell. Anyway, maybe someone can check and see what they think.

I think you are right. Someone in another thread commented on the addition of the run through new fantasyland.

We're running our first WDW Marathon in January & are very excited! As part of the Marathon resort package, do they offer any sort of late check out? We are checking out the day of the Marathon & relocating to a different resort. I'm wondering if I need to have everything packed up & ready to go at 3 am before we race and if I can come back there to shower or if I need to come up with another plan. Thanks! :)

We're running our first WDW Marathon in January & are very excited! As part of the Marathon resort package, do they offer any sort of late check out? We are checking out the day of the Marathon & relocating to a different resort. I'm wondering if I need to have everything packed up & ready to go at 3 am before we race and if I can come back there to shower or if I need to come up with another plan. Thanks! :)

We have never gotten a late checkout. Usually get back to the room before 10:30 on marathon day and gives me time to shower rest and finish packing, usually leave closer to 11:30-12 for an 'unofficial' late checkout and no one has ever said anything. Staying at Swan this year and have a 1:00pm checkout so no feeling guilty over staying in the room late.

We have never gotten a late checkout. Usually get back to the room before 10:30 on marathon day and gives me time to shower rest and finish packing, usually leave closer to 11:30-12 for an 'unofficial' late checkout and no one has ever said anything. Staying at Swan this year and have a 1:00pm checkout so no feeling guilty over staying in the room late.

Great, thanks! I'm just worried we won't make it back to the room by the 11 am checkout & we wont' be able to access our room, LOL We're switching to a studio at the Polynesian - there wasn't availability over the marathon weekend. My parents will be at FW with my girls, so I can always send a bag with my showering stuff with them if I have to. Thanks :)

Another question - in the guide I see it mentions 5 "food stops" - what do these consist of? Just Gu's or energy bars? I see the mention of bananas at 2 stops, clif bar products at 2 stops & candy at the last. I'd love to hear from anyone that's run before about what may be available there. :)

Another question - in the guide I see it mentions 5 "food stops" - what do these consist of? Just Gu's or energy bars? I see the mention of bananas at 2 stops, clif bar products at 2 stops & candy at the last. I'd love to hear from anyone that's run before about what may be available there. :)

Bananas and Clif bar products are pretty much self explanatory. I am pretty sure the Clif bar products are just gels, but I could be mistaken. The candy stop is just as you are entering DHS and has been miniature chocolates and fruit snacks in the past. I haven't taken the chocolate (a little messy for my liking), but I think they are generally the little Hershey's miniatures. I imagine they'll probably stick to the same type stuff.

It would depend on how fast of a runner you are and allowing for transportation back to the resort. If you are fast and drove yourself, you will still have to deal with road closure delays. I am on the rather slow side. My corral went off around 6:30 and I finished around 1pm.

I hope to be this quick some day.

Last year I remember the bananas were at mile 15 & 19. I don't remember where the cliff stuff was as I brought my own. Yes the chocolate was at 23.

Bananas and Clif bar products are pretty much self explanatory. I am pretty sure the Clif bar products are just gels, but I could be mistaken. The candy stop is just as you are entering DHS and has been miniature chocolates and fruit snacks in the past. I haven't taken the chocolate (a little messy for my liking), but I think they are generally the little Hershey's miniatures. I imagine they'll probably stick to the same type stuff.

You didn't have to worry about the chocolate. I ate your share of it. :lmao: That was a nice surprise. Just the boost I needed. Love Dark Chocolate.

The Clif stops are usually many different flavors of Clif gels. The tables will be on either side of the road with a flag at each table showing you which flavor is at that table. They might have had actual Clif bars, but I've never noticed them.

So, now that someone found an advance copy of the certified course (still not published on the USATF website), I think we can summarize the various changes from last year's course:

Reduced Distance
  • Removed the speedway loop
Added Distance
  • Magic Kingdom: now go around the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
  • Magic Kingdom: have a small out-and-back toward Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
  • Between Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom: out-and-back on Western Way
  • Animal Kingdom: now enter further west through Africa gate (instead of heading east to Asia gate)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter