• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any truth to the "no kids sitting at the bar" rumor?

Boopuff

DIS Veteran
I've seen on a few different sites, that Disney is slowly cracking down on kids sitting at the bar. No kids on a barstool, or lingering at the physical bar. Not sure if this is true. Anyone have any insight?

When DD was 12 they were able to sit at the bar at Tambu. I know kids could sit at the bar at Geyser Point a year ago.

I would say it's up to the Cast Member that is at the restaurant when you go. I doubt this is a resort wide rule though. I've seen kids sitting at bars in restaurants in Florida and in other southern states all the time. On my last trip in May I saw kids sitting at every bar I visited.

Being In the bar is different that At the bar on a stool. I just think of RFC and kids love the silly stools, as do the adults. I think with so much geared towards kids, it’s be nice to be able to relax on a bar stool instead of watching a little having a coke, lol. Doubt Disney will “ bar” kids… it’s all about the $$$ and kids sitting means mom n dad buying more drinks while kid is occupied🤣

I've seen on a few different sites, that Disney is slowly cracking down on kids sitting at the bar.

I don't know what sites you're on, but there's no "cracking down" unless Florida changed their law. Their law allows for minors to sit at the bar, so they allow them to sit at the bar. In my state, minors are NOT allowed to sit right there at the bar, so they don't.

Minors lingering at the bar, if alone, is likely to be an issue. When we've been seated at the bar at Raglan Road it seems obvious that we are being seated as a family. If my son just walked in he likely wouldn't be allowed to sit there.

I've ready different reports over the years about WDW on the issue of kids at the bar, best word is inconsistent. Generally speaking sitting at the bar is where you may run into issues, no issues sitting at a table for the most part. People posted the FL laws and sitting in the bar is not against any laws in FL nor is sitting at the Bar. But that doesn't mean Disney condones it in all cases and it could be up to each bar tender I suppose. I saw this at Trader Sam's when a couple kids wanted sit down from us at the bar, but another couple gave up a table and moved to the bar. I believe Jellyrolls and Atlantic Dance Hall were 21+ only as well as the bar at the Edison after 10 and Trader Sam's after 8.

I remember being yelled at when I was 15 or 16 for sitting at the bar at 50s Prime Time. At first we thought they were kidding, then we realized they weren't.

Strange, if true. Such a rule seems to carry the implication that people seated at the bar are expected to order only alcoholic beverages.

WDW seems to be inconsistent.

DL it is enforced. I was at Trader Sam's and they initially seated what I assume was a dad and daughter (but who knows) at the bar but then were moved because she was under 21 - and that was discovered when she was carded simply for sitting at the bar.

The Rose and Crown enforces it when it is busy.
I didn’t think that the R&C had any bar seating. I remember both regular height tables with chairs (that were sometimes removed when they expected a larger than usual crowd, like St. Patrick’s Day) and high top tables for standees, along with standees at the bar itself. Has this changed post-Covid, since we were last there pre-Covid.

WDW seems to be inconsistent.

DL it is enforced. I was at Trader Sam's and they initially seated what I assume was a dad and daughter (but who knows) at the bar but then were moved because she was under 21 - and that was discovered when she was carded simply for sitting at the bar.
DL is subject to the quite restrictive California law. No minors in bars, even at bars attached to restaurants. See https://www.calrest.org/sites/main/...-the-basics-one-pager-20200116.pdf?1609806444 for a summary.

My guess, if this is indeed going to happen, is that they’ll restrict kids sitting at the bar itself. I’m sure bartenders hate to see a family roll in and take up real estate only ordering pop. cuts into alcohol sales and nice tips. Honestly, I hope it’s true.

Also depends on state law. California has a state law. FL does not. We live in Colorado where there is no law. DD sits at the bar with us quite frequently. If I had more than one child I would not take up bar seats.

It's not against the law in Florida so it is probably up to the particular restaurant. for it to be Disney-wide it would have been Disney's rule. I have not heard of it happening at more than one restaurant, maybe two, so it is probably an individual thing.

Rose & Crown does not have at the bar seating, you stand there. They have a few chairs opposite the bar. They have no rules as to who can sit there. when they are expecting to be very busy, they take out the chairs and don't let anybody hang around, they have some CMs waiting to usher you out when you get your drink. Nothing to do with whether there are kids in the party or not.

I have no idea what sites the OP is talking about, or where those sites get their information.

I haven’t seen any kids kicked out of the bar area at Disney. Most recently the bar at Space 220 I saw 3 kids sitting at it with their parents and they also had a baby with them.

Only time I ever had someone question my age to be at a bar was when I was in Vegas ordering a water lol. And I was 27

I take my son (12) to Disney bars/lounges often... whether grabbing something to go or sitting and enjoying a cocktail/mocktail beverage (eg, Tambu Lounge) or meal (eg, bar at California Grill) - that's how we roll. Never the slightest of issues.

However back in either June or July we were denied seating at the Citrico's bar - which was a first as we've dined there several times since reopening. They would let us do the lounge, but not sit at the bar. It was right at 5pm when they opened and had no other bar/lounge patrons, so not like a busy time. Frankly I was a little annoyed as it is much easier to eat a meal at the bar than hunched over at the lounge tables... plus often the bar is just more fun... get to talk to CMs, maybe fellow guests, etc. And in the hour+ we sat at the lounge not a single person sat at the bar. But whatever, Mouse house, Mouse rules. :-)

Not sure whether a new CM making up things or in fact a new or newly enforced Citrico's rule....but FWIW.

I have a 7-year-old.

On our recent trip, the hostess at Space 220 asked if she could seat us at the bar. We had Lounge reservations but there was not an available table for us. I declined.

We also went to Oga's Cantina (which I realize is a bar) and we were at the bar itself as opposed to a standing table or table with seats. The bar there is standing only. My kid couldn't even reach his drink (but we were just there to briefly experience it and I knew it wasn't the kid-friendliest Disney location).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter