Any tips on how to sell sterling silver?

magickingdomprincess

DIS Veteran
My mom has a set of of Wallace Sterling Silver Grand Baroque flatware that she would like me to help her sell. Any tips on the best place to go to sell it? Local jewelers? Ebay? I really know nothing about silver or selling it so any suggestions would be appreciated! :goodvibes

Unfortunately, I don’t think it will be worth much. Silver prices are very low now. Something like $14 an ounce. Gold on the other hand is selling for about $1200 an ounce.

Maybe an antique shop would be able to help.

Good luck to you!

Unfortunately, I don’t think it will be worth much. Silver prices are very low now. Something like $14 an ounce. Gold on the other hand is selling for about $1200 an ounce.

Maybe an antique shop would be able to help.

Good luck to you!

I'm hoping whoever we sell it to wouldn't use it just for the silver. Seems like such a waste! Thank you for the suggestion on the antique shop though!

I have used Antique Cupboard and Chairish. Good luck!
I saw Antique Cupboard come up in a search and looked on their website a little. Good to hear someone used them. I'll check out Chairish too. Thank you!

REPLACEMENTS, LTD
Thanks, I'll check into them too!

It really depends on the pieces you have. Replacements is super picky about the condition of items so you are at their mercy. You pay to ship it to them and if you don't agree with their valuation then you also pay for return shipping. If you have the time and patience you will, by in large, get the best value by selling on your own via ebay. This takes a lot of time on your part but if you are about maximizing your $$$ then that is almost always the better option. Getting the best value selling yourself also require selling it piece by piece. Most people arent looking to but a service for 8 they are looking to replace lost or damaged pieces. The other big seller are serving pieces. A good compromise is to sell the typical place settings to Replacements.com and then sell the specialty and serving pieces on your own.

As someone who own service for 24 :rolleyes1 I know a bit about sterling silver as I had it valued for insurance purposes. I have crazy pieces like fish forks, tomato servers, iced tea spoons and poultry shears so I know way too much about this topic.

It really depends on the pieces you have. Replacements is super picky about the condition of items so you are at their mercy. You pay to ship it to them and if you don't agree with their valuation then you also pay for return shipping. If you have the time and patience you will, by in large, get the best value by selling on your own via ebay. This takes a lot of time on your part but if you are about maximizing your $$$ then that is almost always the better option. Getting the best value selling yourself also require selling it piece by piece. Most people arent looking to but a service for 8 they are looking to replace lost or damaged pieces. The other big seller are serving pieces. A good compromise is to sell the typical place settings to Replacements.com and then sell the specialty and serving pieces on your own.

As someone who own service for 24 :rolleyes1 I know a bit about sterling silver as I had it valued for insurance purposes. I have crazy pieces like fish forks, tomato servers, iced tea spoons and poultry shears so I know way too much about this topic.

Thank you for the info! Wow, selling it a piece at a time would be difficult, not just time wise but mentally it just seems wrong to break up the set. I can understand it might be the best profit wise though. I don't like the thought of paying for shipping both ways either...I'll have to think on this some more. Thank you for the input! Wow, service for 24! Do you have a lot of dinner parties?!?

Thank you for the info! Wow, selling it a piece at a time would be difficult, not just time wise but mentally it just seems wrong to break up the set. I can understand it might be the best profit wise though. I don't like the thought of paying for shipping both ways either...I'll have to think on this some more. Thank you for the input! Wow, service for 24! Do you have a lot of dinner parties?!?
If you want the easiest then replacements is certainly the easiest but profit wise you won't get nearly what you think. I would not be sentimental about breaking up a set. Very few people are looking for a whole set so you will likely get even less. Grand Baroque is one of the classics it is also a very "busy" pattern and really requires someone with very specific taste. If you want to figure out what you may get for it on ebay then look for what people have sold it for, not just what it is listed for. Look for the prices in green.

Selling in the next few months will likely net you the best prices since people are looking to fill in missing pieces or additional place settings for the upcoming holidays of Thanksgiving and Christmas. Yes, I do host dinner parties but service was all passed down from family. I didn't ever intend to own this much and I don't think anyone in the family would want to inherit it. Maybe one day I will sell it but for now I will just enjoy it.

I had a set that was my grandmothers and my sister actually got it first. Neither one of us wanted it. I had a rummage sale and actually begged a guy to take the set for $5.00. I just did not want to deal with it or store it any longer. I had another set a few years back an I got it appraised and was told old $35. It is like my China set, no one uses it or wants it any longer.

Yes, it's hard to reconcile breaking up a set. We actually had a whole set of China, which was surprising given every other set was missing a piece. But few people want a full set of anything, most are looking to replace pieces of an existing set. So even though it was complete it was sold in a couple chunks at the auction like the rest. (and most people at the auction were resellers themselves so they didn't care either about not getting a complete set) And fetched a slightly better price that way than the full sets of similar ones I've seen sold.

We have silver too but fortunately that's missing pieces so it's always been the plan to sell that separately.

You could mention in the listings that it is part of a complete set, so if the buyer is interested they can view the other listings. I haven't sold on eBay in a long while but there was a way before to combine sales for a buyer or link listings together or something like that.

I had a set that was my grandmothers and my sister actually got it first. Neither one of us wanted it. I had a rummage sale and actually begged a guy to take the set for $5.00. I just did not want to deal with it or store it any longer. I had another set a few years back an I got it appraised and was told old $35. It is like my China set, no one uses it or wants it any longer.
Silver plate does not sell. If it were sterling silver you could have gotten a whole lot more.

If you aren't in a hurry to sell, you could wait for the price of silver to go up and then go to one those places that buy gold/silver would be an option. There are usually a number of those types of stores around, depending where you live. Basically, they weigh the item and do a calculation based on metal content. We sold some old gold jewelry that was useless to us but worth selling when the price of gold was fairly high a few years ago. As mentioned above, only sterling silver has value for the metal content. Plated flatware doesn't have enough silver content and places who buy gold/silver won't bother with it. Plated flatware is probably best sold at a garage sale.

Jewelry stores are generally not interested in buying such items. Their only interest might be the silver content if they plan to melt it down. If it isn't something they regularly do might also be more of a hassle to them.

Replacements Ltd is a good choice to check prices. However, if you don't live near them, the back and forth shipping can be a hassle and you won't actually get to meet anyone in person to discuss the value.

Never used ebay, but I think your best local alternative is one of those stores who buy gold/silver. You can go there and immediately know the value of the metal content even if you decide to not sell it. Selling it in bits and pieces online would be a hassle and probably won't get anymore for it that way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter