• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any tips for what is going to be a bittersweet trip?

Welcome to the beautiful state of Oregon! (Orry-gun) :wave: I moved from Australia to the Pacific Northwest to marry my (American) husband and understand how hard it is to leave family behind. My father was afraid to fly after having a heart attack, and I didn't see my parents for many years, as we had our own business and couldn't leave it for an extended period of time. It was hard to justify putting out close to $4,000 for just a week, which would end up only being 5 days because of travel time. My parents were semi -retired and could stay here for a couple of months.

My Dad just bit the bullet one year and did the trip, after that they came every other year. My Dad passed away last year and I am so grateful for all the memories I have of them staying with us. To see them all the time would have been ideal, but it seems like we packed alot into our visits together, always being aware that our time together was precious, nothing was ever taken for granted.

When they were leaving I always focused on their next trip back, and not be sad about the time in between. Your kids will take their cue from you, so always try to be positive in front of them. You haven't mentioned your husbands parents, if they live close by, it will be fun for them to get to know their other grandparents. (Just don't mention that in front of your parents)

Like others have said you will be fairly close to Disneyland, which holds it's own charm for Disney lovers on the West Coast. Good Luck to you.

Hey I'm here at the library checking emails and my DIS thread and it's nice to see so many with encouraging words. I'm trying to by positive for my girls. I only cry when they are not around. But I don't mean to sound like I think this trip is not the end of the world. Now that my DH is in Oregon (and moving our furniture into our new place as I type this) I am anxious to get out there with him. As much as I love my parents, I want to be wherever he is. Sorry if that sounded corny. :love:

littleladykaty: Since I'm here at the library, I'm going to check and see if the Ramona Quimby books are here. I remember reading "Socks" by Beverly Cleary when I was young and loving that book. I will look up "Long Distance Grandma" too since I am here. Thanks lovesmurfs.

I can't find who asked but yes, my in-laws live in Oregon and I will be close to them. My DH's brothers have a business there and they wanted him to come out and help him with it. That's why we are moving. My mil has several grandchildren while my parents have only my two girls. That's one of the reasons why this is so hard on them (and me).

poohluv2u: I know what you mean about pronoucing Oregon correctly. My husband corrected everyone who would ask about "OR-i-GONE". I get that way when people think I live somewhere in "Virginia" (I live in the northern panhandle of West Virginia and am only in Virginia when I'm driving to Florida)

kidsister: My parents are DVC members, owning at OKW. I'm really excited to go. I know we will probably meet up with them there every summer. Maybe we will make Chef Mickeys for breakfast our goodbye tradition.

Thanks again and I will check back when I get back to the library!

Oh good, I hope you can find some Ramona books!!! They start from when she was in pre-school and follow her up to fifth grade I believe, so depending on your girls ages you can pick which book would be most relevent to her life! Beezus and Ramona is the first one and it's more from Beezus' point of view...Ramona the Pest is Ramona in kindergarten...it's one of my very favorites! It's laugh out loud funny...there there is...

Ramona the Brave-1rst grade
Ramona and Her Mother-2nd grade
Ramona and Her Father-3rd grade
Ramona Forever-4th grade--another one of my faves...the girls get to be in a wedding and Mrs. Quimby is going to have a baby!
Ramona's World-5th grade

They are fantastic books...I moved a lot when I was kid and I always found comfort in my books, especially my Ramona books b/c Ramona was always in the same place with her family, getting into trouble and being so real and easy to relate to.

I know how difficult moves like this are, I truly do...I also share your desire to be wherever your husband is. I love my mom and sisters beyond reason, but my fiance is home to me...wherever he is I want to be. I'm guess I'm corny too!!!

You are going to really enjoy Portland, and Oregon in general. Y'all will do GREAT!!! :cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter