• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any Restaurant that SURPRISED you....

Having dined at the nicer restaurants now and 20 years ago, I think, at least pre-covid, the food and food options were much better now.
In the 90s & early 2000s, the regular restaurants were similar quality to the signature restaurants pre-Covid. You'd have to go back way longer than 20 years to find nothing but greasy burgers & fries. I haven't been to WDW post-Covid, so I can't speak for that.

Cat Cora's was the best suprise, it was amazing:eeyore:.
Y&Y as well, we try to hit it every couple years.

I was surprised by a restaurant but not in a good way... Hollywood Brown Derby is up there with my worst meals at Disney World. Extremely disappointing. I will not return to give them a second chance when Topolino's is a skyliner away from the park. Surprise in a good way would be Ale & Compass breakfast.

We did not like Trattoria Al Forno this time around. It was worse than Olive Garden. I felt ripped off. Be Our Guest was fantastic in 2020 just before COVID hit but was horrendous this time time. We had to wait 45 minutes for our table, it was so loud that the waiter and I were shouting to hear each other and after a very long wait the wrong food and drinks were served at various times. We are never going back there. Don’t get me wrong, we had a few good meals like Skippers Cantina, Garden Grill, Space 220, and Polite Pug, but for the most part meals were not so great this last trip and given how much we paid made it even more unacceptable. After this last trip we decided we are definitely bringing our car next time so we can get off property for better and more reasonably priced eating options.

I would say Mama Melrose in HS. Both food and service was excellent. My 1 1/2 year old daughter has severe food allergies and the server was constantly bringing her out food to try as she can be picky too.
Thanks for sharing this! My children have severe food allergies as well so if you visited Magic Kingdom or EPCOT, I'd love to hear more about your experiences with table or quick service restaurants.

Thanks for sharing this! My children have severe food allergies as well so if you visited Magic Kingdom or EPCOT, I'd love to hear more about your experiences with table or quick service restaurants.
We had 0 issues with her food allergies on the trip. The key was to just tell the servers (and any other staff) about them and they will not only get you a food allergy menu, walk you through it to be safe. My wife was quickly put at ease a day into our trip seeing how thoughtful the cast members are. :)

We had 0 issues with her food allergies on the trip. The key was to just tell the servers (and any other staff) about them and they will not only get you a food allergy menu, walk you through it to be safe. My wife was quickly put at ease a day into our trip seeing how thoughtful the cast members are. :)
Agreed. My mom has a severe red wine allergy and was extremely well accommodated AND she was also able to order in person at many mobile order only spots due to this so her mind was really put at ease

Chef Mickey's dinner was such a surprise for us. We thought the family style dinner was very good. Breakfast not so much. That's still the same bland mediocre food it's always been. But dinner? We're looking forward to going back.

We were happily surprised with Sci-Fi. It was a "must book" for us due to loving the dark, cool atmosphere as a good break from the hot asphalt of HS but we were expecting average at best food (we hadn't been there in over a decade- and the food was fine but not memorable then- it was all about the atmosphere). We really really enjoyed the food this time! My chicken salad sandwich and fries were really delicious, the shakes were good, they were happy to accommodate my picky vegetarian's request (side of fries and a fruit salad for lunch)- everyone devoured their food! And the service was very quick- we were seated after waiting about 5 minutes (and before our actual reservation time) and were back out in just about an hour (without feeling rushed).

I can't help but chime in on Jiko being our surprise "miss." We had shockingly bad service (e.g., asked three times for water refills and never got them) husband's sea food was bland and overcooked; my filet was stringy and overcooked. I full recognize inconsistency is the hallmark of a Disney restaurant, but at signature prices it's not really forgivable to have a bad meal.

Our surprise "hit" is definitely Tony's in MK. We've been several times and never had a bad meal, so don't understand all the hate on the internet. My favorites are the fried mozzarella (so soft and delicious we always order a second plate); shrimp pasta (very good) and tiramisu (excellent). I love the adorable lady and the tramp fountain and think the restaurant overall has a very pretty and nicely themed interior. From all the hate Tony's get, you'd think it was chef boyardee but instead it's a pretty solid italian place.

...that was the case with Whispering Canyon. We had been going there for YEARS. We visited during Christmas Week and it was downright AWFUL. No interactive antics on the part of the server, the food was sparse, and all the meats were pretty much dried out...
Interesting; we went back to WC on our trip in April and I thought it was the best bang for the buck meal we had on our trip. Food quality was better than I remembered it, and it was not expensive, especially considering it’s an AYCTE meal.

Beaches and Cream, on the other hand, was a huge let down. We go every trip and this time the burgers were just bad. Milkshakes were as good as always, but I don’t think we’ll go back. It used to be a favourite of ours, too.

We ate at nine dragons last week for the first time in many years. We just got off Frozen ever after and it was pouring down outside with a big storm. We had been planning to just grab some food and wine items for dinner, but due to the weather decided to look on mde to see what was available. Nine dragons had a table for our party size for about 45 mins later, so we booked it. We waited in the store in Norway, and then ran from Norway to China in the now slightly less monsoon style rain, and had a great meal. They were very accomodating to the teenagers fussiness in our party, and the food was plentiful, delicious and hot. It's on our list as a must do next time!

My biggest SUPRISE was a few years ago we had our first dinner at Il Mulino. Nobody likes to eat Italian at Disney because nowhere is going to be as good as their 'place down the street', at home.

Well, first time I had a Pork Milanese that was fire. The atmosphere is great, the servers always know what they're talking about.

I like having a few different dishes and I love that you can order a 1/2 of all their pastas.

Last time I had a meatball, arancini and a half order of Carbonara and it was awesome.

They are on Open Table and we've always gotten a table when we want one, even same day.

At Disney? The food today is light years better than it was 20 years ago. Back then it was all greasy burgers and fries.
For table service that is patently false. For counter service it is a gross (pun intended) exaggeration.

Crystal Palace surprised us for the better in July 2022. The buffet food was amazing compared to the past. No characters but I enjoyed it so much. Waiter even told us that the chef was allowed to experiment with new dishes since the characters were gone and that "the regular locals" tell him that they hope it the quality of food stays that way when Pooh and Co come back. As for me, the prime rib on the day we went could compare to any 4 (out of 5) star restaurant. (It was July 4th, maybe they had a better cut that day).

Last edited:
Mama Melrose. Food was average, but it was just about the nicest Italian I have ever eaten in; wonderful atmosphere. I love that style.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter