Any other pressed penny collectors out there?

mdoll4

Mouseketeer
I've been collecting pressed coins for several years now, but I have to say, I love my Disney collection the most. Partly because I love Disney, and partly because there's a machine around every corner in the parks! Every time I go, I bring a handful of quarters and pre-1982 pennies.

Anyone else share the joy of cranking these wonderful 51 cent souvenirs?

I've been collecting pressed coins for several years now, but I have to say, I love my Disney collection the most. Partly because I love Disney, and partly because there's a machine around every corner in the parks! Every time I go, I bring a handful of quarters and pre-1982 pennies.

Anyone else share the joy of cranking these wonderful 51 cent souvenirs?

OMG yes - so much fun!
I have about a dozen Disney books filled, but I usually get the new shinney pennies :)

I used to use the shiniest pennies I could find, and I remember trying desperately to clean off that silver-y stuff that was on them, not knowing for the longest time that it was actually in the composition of the penny!

features_101_l.jpg

(Post-1982 zinc based penny vs. Pre-1982 full copper penny - Quite a difference)

Now before trips I dunk my old pennies in a mixture of vinegar and salt, and it shines them right up! Maybe I'm just a nerd, but I have a little box next to my desk that I keep my old pennies in when I find them. They're kind of hard to come by nowadays, but I think they look so much better when they're rolled.

I used to use the shiniest pennies I could find, and I remember trying desperately to clean off that silver-y stuff that was on them, not knowing for the longest time that it was actually in the composition of the penny!

features_101_l.jpg

(Post-1982 zinc based penny vs. Pre-1982 full copper penny - Quite a difference)

Now before trips I dunk my old pennies in a mixture of vinegar and salt, and it shines them right up! Maybe I'm just a nerd, but I have a little box next to my desk that I keep my old pennies in when I find them. They're kind of hard to come by nowadays, but I think they look so much better when they're rolled.

Hmmm - will have to go through my banks for my next smoohing :)
TY

Yep! As a matter of fact, I just finished printing out the checklists for WDW for my trip at the end of October. Have plenty of <1982 pennies and am ready to roll! The weekend before Thanksgiving, I may get down to Disneyland and get to update that collection. I have all that were current there as of my last visit 2 years ago and then I had a friend pick a few new ones up for me last year.

Hmmm - will have to go through my banks for my next smoohing :)
TY

I buy rolls of pre 1982 pennies on ebay. Sometimes you can get a decent deal on them. I have enough to last me a loooooong time currently. LOL!

features_101_l.jpg

I use CLR to polish ours. It works great and fast to!

I buy rolls of pre 1982 pennies on ebay. Sometimes you can get a decent deal on them. I have enough to last me a loooooong time currently. LOL!

That's a great idea! I'll have to look into it. :D

I used to collect Pressed Pennies with my ex husband… I don’t know what to do with the books I have and the extra pennies. We have 2 books full. One even has pressed quarters! I have about 24 Pre 1982 pennies also we had saved… Any ideas? Does anyone want them?

I used to collect Pressed Pennies with my ex husband… I don’t know what to do with the books I have and the extra pennies. We have 2 books full. One even has pressed quarters! I have about 24 Pre 1982 pennies also we had saved… Any ideas? Does anyone want them?

You can try listing the squished pennies on ebay. Unless the ones you haven't pressed are uncirculated, you may as well just put them back into your change jar!

My son got into it on our last trip. I had never paid attention to them and had no idea there were so many. We meet some collectors who told us to pick up the official list at each park. We had a blast:goodvibes, and I know when DH and I go alone this Oct., my son will give me a list and I'll have to get a few more if I see some other neat ones. Silly ?, but what makes the 1982 pennies better?

Yep! As a matter of fact, I just finished printing out the checklists for WDW for my trip at the end of October. Have plenty of <1982 pennies and am ready to roll! The weekend before Thanksgiving, I may get down to Disneyland and get to update that collection. I have all that were current there as of my last visit 2 years ago and then I had a friend pick a few new ones up for me last year.

Just got back smashed so many pennies...i got my 4 year old hooked...its awesome.....you can go to GS at any park and they will give you the list of locations where all the machines are...pennies quarters and the special dime machine!!!!!!

...I do! I'd be willing to do some sort of online auction, if you're actually interested in getting rid of them. :)

My son got into it on our last trip. I had never paid attention to them and had no idea there were so many. We meet some collectors who told us to pick up the official list at each park. We had a blast:goodvibes, and I know when DH and I go alone this Oct., my son will give me a list and I'll have to get a few more if I see some other neat ones. Silly ?, but what makes the 1982 pennies better?

Pennies minted before 1982 well full copper pennies. After 1982 they started putting zinc in the middle (cheaper to produce), so when you roll them, the zinc shows through and it can look pretty bad.

Good to know. I guess I'll be on the hunt for some older pennies to bring with in October.

I'm the dork in our family that loves the pressed pennies! I always take pennies from the year we go. I've done a few quarters and would love to do the dimes next time I get there! If I don't get myself anything else as a souvenir, at least I have my pennies!:goodvibes

I started collecting pressed pennies just back in April 2008 at Disney. I have 2 full books already. Recently I've started collecting them from other places as well. My dad just brought me home one from London last night!!! I :love: pressed pennies!

My ambition was always to collect one of each of the monorail resort pennies and mount them in a custom designed wood plaque (sort of bas relief version of a typical resort map). I didn't get around to collecting the pennies last trip and I instantly regretted it.

Anybody know how Canadian pennies come out? Better, worse than modern US ones?

Pressed pennies are my favorite souvenir from any vacation. I take old prescription bottles (take off the labels) and put layers of two quarters and then a penny. Then when I find a penny machine I just shake out the quarters and penny. It saves so much time searching.

My ambition was always to collect one of each of the monorail resort pennies and mount them in a custom designed wood plaque (sort of bas relief version of a typical resort map). I didn't get around to collecting the pennies last trip and I instantly regretted it.

Anybody know how Canadian pennies come out? Better, worse than modern US ones?

Canadian pennies are better than newer US pennies, but about on par with the old US pennies. I brought a few with me to Epcot and used them for the Canada pavilion pennies. I felt like such a nerd, but they turned out really well!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter