Any of you ever gone with just ONE of your kids?

DisneyMama27

Mouseketeer
My sweet DH is too excited to wait until Jan for our surprise family trip! He found cheap airfare and wants to go BAD! I can't take off work right now, even for long weekend, so he is taking our DD7 Nov 11-13. We also have DS9 and DD5 and have promised them solo trips too -soon! DD9 has been taken skiing and camping, etc. DD7 never does anything first, and DD5 is too little, IMO, tho she was most upset. Got over it quickly and they are all talking about what they will get to do on "their" trip.

Anyone else do something like this? A weekend is just too hard for all 5 of us to get much in (not to mention the packing for 5) and takes up more points. With 2 they can get a studio - plus we have APs so the only expense is air and food. He is so excited and loving being COOL DAD!

My kids are older, but yes I've done that. When oldest DD started college, I went with the 2 who were in high school. When I had 2 in college, I went with the one who was still in high school. Two weeks ago, I went with just the oldest. It's so much fun when we're all together, but those one on one short trips are great, too!!

Youngest DS is still at home, so he's been on many trips just with us, even a cruise (Boy were the older ones jealous about that!) DD23 has chosen a Disney trip with just Mom for her graduation present. I am so looking forward to that -- we're in a one bedroom at OKW. She's never stayed there, and I think she'll really enjoy all the space.

My DD4 has been to DW 3 times and my DD2 has not yet been. We are going in 4 weeks and this will be her 1st time. It's good for kids to have some one-on-one time with a parent. Don't feel bad about it.

Our DS is 20 and lives at college. Our DD is 17 and still at home. We went in early May of this year. DS couldn't go (exams). We're going March '07. DS can't go (midterms). I always ask if he wants to go, even though I know Disney is not his cup of tea at this particular moment in his life. I have this guilty feeling though when he is left behind. I have to think of something we can do with him when it's convenient for him. For some reason, our timing is always off !! :guilty:

I have always wanted to see WDW during the holidays, and that is the worst time of year for my DH to travel (he is in retail.) So I am taking my 2 sons ages 5 & 13 to WDW between XMas & NY's all by myself! I am nervous and excited at the same time!

DH took me to WDW for the first time 17 years ago (we have been going at least once a year ever since), and I have never been there without him. So this is going to be an adventure for all!

I take one child at a quite often and have a MARVELOUS time! The two of us do whatever we want...if that means Winnie the Pooh 6 times in a row so be it. It's really special time for each child - the one left home knows that their turn will come and there is some reason (usually school or activity related) that they can't go this trip.

My sister and two nieces live with me . I started taking the oldest by herslef when she was 4. At the time my sister couldn't get the time off from work , later cause my other niece was born and sorry but I was NOT taking an infant and 5 year old . This summer right before she turned 11 it was her and I for the week at BWV and we had yet another fantastic time.

And like DVCforme says the other kids know their time is/will come that there are reasons for them to stay home now and they'll be reasons later why they get to go without their sibling.

I went with just my 2 year old son in March - some friends were traveling at the same time and at the last minute we decided to tag along. My ds7 had been fairly recently and needed to stay in school and DH needed to stay at work, but my other son and I were just going to be home doing "home" things. My older son was a little disappointed, but got some special fun time with his dad (and time away from the 2 year old). We also told him, at the same time, that we had bought into DVC, though we weren't using points on that trip, and he'd be able to go for the next 48 years and so that helped a lot too!

Touring with a 2 year old by myself was ok - but I would LOVE to have a solo trip with my 7 year old - it's a good age! I'm sure your DH and DD will have a fun time!

I think it's a great way to spend some alone special time.
Me and DD are early risers so we are at the parks when DW gets up. We also hit the beach sometimes as well. Just keep track so no one feels slited.

Yes I have done it before and we are planning another "one" child trip. In July, 2005, I offered to take both DSs to VWL. My oldest then 16 wanted to stay home instead, so I took our youngest DS 15. We had a blast. My mom went too and my mother in law drove up from south Florida and met us. We spoiled my DS that trip.

We are planning a Disneyland trip for this June with again, our youngest DS. Now before you think he is the favorite or anything ;) ;), our oldest DS will be in Europe at the same time with the German Club!!!!

Karen

We have started a tradition in our family of taking our dd's to WDW on their b-day when they turn 16. It's a Mom and daughter trip. Two years ago I took our oldest. We had a blast and she wanted to do it again. So for her 18th b-day we're going again. We weren't there on her actual b-day because it's in September and she's in college. So, we're going in December.

Next year our middle daughter is turning 16. I have already booked Boardwalk view for her b-day. We will actually be there on her birthday because it's in August. She is very excited.

Everyone knows they will get their turn. And we always have the family trip so it's not like they will not be there at all that year. It's a different kind of trip with only 2 people and it's great fun.

I was just thinking of doing this too. We just bought into DVC and are waiting to close and we have 2005 points to use. My wife will not go back to Disney until fall of 2007 so I want to take our 5 year old DS for long weekend in late nov or early dec. I think it would be great, just waiting out details and seeing if I can pull this off.

Yes I have taken my kids on individual trips. It is very special and a great memory. Have a great time.

dw and i happen to have a conference we are attending at disney nov 12-16 (i highly recommend finding ways to get work to pay for air and accomodations when you visit disney!lol) we just went last august with dd7,dd5,dd1 and we go again with everyone in jan. sooooo, we have decided to take our dd19mths with us in november so she can experience some of the magic on her own terms. we are really excited!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter