any idea what's in gray areas on Dream? (help choosing stateroom)

carmiedog

needs more kool-aid
I'm looking at deck 8 specifically.

I need to choose between the following and that may depend on what the rooms are next to:

8641 and 8141 (1 deluxe inside and 1 standard inside)

or 2 standard insides on deck 2

(price difference $100)

I like 8641/8141 because there's a bit more space for the 5 of us. Also that it's not adjoining other staterooms so I don't have worry about hushing my brats as much.

However, would there be anything surrounding 8641/8141 that would make it a poor choice? I can't tell from the deck plans, but experienced cruisers might have a better idea. Would you choose deck 8 or deck 2?

bumping in hopes of advice.

someone at work couldn't help me with the gray area on deck 8, but told me I definitely want deck 2 due to rough seas in atlantic :confused:

They're walls/inaccessible/CM area. That's a little corridor there. Looks like a nice spot to me.

Gray areas, are probably "back stage". Near the elevators are usually service elevators. Surrounded by rooms may be structural support for the above decks.

When I just booked my Fantasy cruise I booked a 10a and the system automatically had given me 8643. I asked the CM what was in the gray area because if it was a laundry room then I wanted the deluxe inside on deck 9 midship. She looked it up and confirmed that yes it was a maintenance room on the side and a laundry room on the backside so she quickly moved me over to the 9th floor.

I have concerns about this too. We are also booked into 8643 on the Dream. I hope they soundproof these areas better.

If you look at the deck plans you will see the two cabins you mention are pretty much directly below the aft funnel (the real one). I think it is likely that some of the nearby grey areas are part of the engine casing where all of the exhaust pipes run up into the funnel and this can be quite a noisy place because of all of the ventilation machinery that will be running all the time in there. Who knows though, maybe they will have awesome sound-proofing on board.

Hope you enjoy your cruise.

Found some of the gray areas that are on the Magic class, and probably the Dream class also, are support areas for the ship. Can be anything from elevators to fire supression systems, to server rooms for that area of the ship. I happened to catch a contractor on board the Magic the other day and they had a few of those rooms opened up.

When we cruised for the first time, I also heard to get deck 2..... but we got upgraded to deck 5 and I found it much, much more convenient being in an upper deck. The elevators are small and full alot, so we took stairs almost the whole time. This cruise we chose deck 7 so we would be in the middle, just up or down a few flights of stairs to get to where we wanted. Something to consider if you are looking into which deck. Sorry can't help you on the gray area, we are near one too, but happy to be midship.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter