Any geocachers on board? :)

mootmoot

Mouseketeer
If there are, I can plan to bring some trackables to swap! I'm going to a huge geocaching event tomorrow here in Washington state (Geowoodstock VIII, GC1QM7K) and I'm hoping there will be some Disney geocoins, too!

Mimi

I've never done it before- but I think it sounds like a really cool thing to do!
I'm sure you'll find a few in our huge group of Podcast Cruisers. :thumbsup2

Okay I admit it I had no idea what a Geocacher was so I looked it up. Thats a really fun idea!

If there are, I can plan to bring some trackables to swap! I'm going to a huge geocaching event tomorrow here in Washington state (Geowoodstock VIII, GC1QM7K) and I'm hoping there will be some Disney geocoins, too!

Mimi

DS scout troop does geocaching.

Geocaching is SO much fun! It's like treasure hunting with your GPS. We love finding interesting places - both at home and when we travel - that we would never have found otherwise. The website is www (dot) geocaching (dot) com

We especially love coming across trackables, which are items or coins with a special code that you log in to track that item's travels. Geocachers pick up and drop off trackables, post pictures of their adventures, etc etc. Many trackables have "missions" that they hope to accomplish, such as "reach the Bahamas" or "go to State parks". We always bring trackables with us when we travel cross-country (we travel a lot between VA - FL - WA) to help the items rack up "mileage".

I love geocaching although I am rusty since having kids. Trying to get back into it by caching in parks with the kids, but I'm not good at micros.
Alas I'm not going on the podcast cruise unless we win the lottery.

Is there's anything hidden on Castaway Cay? That would be so cool!

Is there's anything hidden on Castaway Cay? That would be so cool!

BRILLIANT!!! I just looked it up and there IS one!! GCRFBJ "King Billys" Disney Cruise Castaway Cay Cache"

There are lots of travel bugs in it right now, and looks like a pretty active cache! Anyone interested to find it with me is more than welcome to!!

:yay:

BRILLIANT!!! I just looked it up and there IS one!! GCRFBJ "King Billys" Disney Cruise Castaway Cay Cache"

There are lots of travel bugs in it right now, and looks like a pretty active cache! Anyone interested to find it with me is more than welcome to!!

:yay:

I've heard of this but never done it! I think it would be cool to see what this is all about, would you mind if I tagged along to see what is involved?

We geocache a bit. Our GPS is ancient and unreliable, so that limits our treks. (no iPhone, either. We are so retro!) There is a series of Forrest Gump micros in our area that we have been working on for a while. Very cool!

We'd love to check out the CC cache with you guys!

--Hillary

It's something I've wanted to check out for a while, but haven't ever made the time to do it. I don't think I ever would have thought about geocaching on vacation, but I think it's a great idea.

If we wanted to give this a try on Cataway Cay- tell us what we should do/bring/expect. :confused3
Or can we just all hang out together and watch what you do? :cool1:

Cool! Here is info on the cache that is currently on the island:

This cache is located in the beautiful BAHAMAS! It can be found on Castaway Cay, the small Disney owned island accessable by the Disney cruise ships.

The cache is a small glass bottle that resides inside of a bigger mystery container....Hmmm??? It is located at the far end of the island and can be reached by bike or trolly and some walking. There is a very wide dirt road/trail that leads back to the area of the cache. Along the trail, there are water coolers and restrooms. There are also lots of photo opportunities, especially from the viewpoint of the cache. The vista is gorgeous!

I highly recommend renting a bike. It makes the process much easier and in my opinion FUN. There are bikes availavble for rent for both adults and kids. The adults can even get bikes with babyseats.

Interested? Anyone who is up for renting a bicycle and riding out together is more than welcome to join in. I think it will take about an hour, and I'll try to schedule it after the 5K and other things going on that day. Just leave a note on this thread if interested and I'll put more details together as we get closer. :)

If there is a more experienced geocacher on board - PLEASE speak up. It sounds like for the view and for the ride, it is worth the trip, but I'd still hate to lead a group of people out there and not find the cache!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter