Any exceptions to 50% borrowing rule when trying to make a split stay??

KAL918

Earning My Ears
I have a reservation booked at AKL, my home, for Nov. I am trying to do a split stay but with the crazy low inventory, the best way is to make a separate reservation with my 2022 UY points and then shorten my original reservation. I tried to do this today but was blocked because I've already borrowed 29 points from 2022 so it would not let me borrow another 64 due to the 50% rule. I was considering calling MS to see if they'd make an exception for me since I'd be cancelling 2 nights from AKL and putting the points right back into the pool. I'm not able to get through MS. I'm sure the 2 nights I'm looking at will be gone by the time I get through.

Has anyone had luck with MS making an exception for this type of situation?

I have a reservation booked at AKL, my home, for Nov. I am trying to do a split stay but with the crazy low inventory, the best way is to make a separate reservation with my 2022 UY points and then shorten my original reservation. I tried to do this today but was blocked because I've already borrowed 29 points from 2022 so it would not let me borrow another 64 due to the 50% rule. I was considering calling MS to see if they'd make an exception for me since I'd be cancelling 2 nights from AKL and putting the points right back into the pool. I'm not able to get through MS. I'm sure the 2 nights I'm looking at will be gone by the time I get through.

Has anyone had luck with MS making an exception for this type of situation?

You might be able to convince them to split your original reservation and then modify it.

Not read of any exceptions to the rule. Maybe book what you can by borrowing for one night, cancel the night in original and then book again with freed up points?

That is what I have done to avoid having to borrow.

I don’t think it matters that you will bank points forward because it something completely different.

Not read of any exceptions to the rule. Maybe book what you can by borrowing for one night, cancel the night in original and then book again with freed up points?

That is what I have done to avoid having to borrow.

I don’t think it matters that you will bank points forward because it something completely different.
We could do this but I always worry about losing one of the nights if someone swoops in first and grabs it. Seems like the most secure way is using points and if the 50% rule wasn't in effect, then we could do it.

You might be able to convince them to split your original reservation and then modify it.
True but then there is the timing risk again if they cancel one reservation and try to book the other. I think we're just up against too much this year.

True but then there is the timing risk again if they cancel one reservation and try to book the other. I think we're just up against too much this year.

MS has the capability to split a reservation although they tend to not agree to do it. If they did it would be no concern of losing a reservation. And modifying one to a new resort also does not risk losing a reservation.

MS has the capability to split a reservation although they tend to not agree to do it. If they did it would be no concern of losing a reservation. And modifying one to a new resort also does not risk losing a reservation.
Ahh ok now I understand what you're saying. I'll keep this in mind. Thanks!

We could do this but I always worry about losing one of the nights if someone swoops in first and grabs it. Seems like the most secure way is using points and if the 50% rule wasn't in effect, then we could do it.

You don’t cancel first. You book one night and borrow and then cancel that night by modifying the original trip.

Once that trip is modified and the points released you can modify the one night to two nights picking up those points. Then modify again and dropping that second night.

You just keep this up until you end up with your split stay. Like I said you don’t drop anything until it’s booked and of course, this only works if you can pick up nights from beginning or end.

Thank you! Unfortunately, we can only borrow up to 21 points as we’ve already borrowed some for our booked reservation and then the 50% rule comes into play. We only have a 100 point contract so not a whole lot to play with.

Thank you! Unfortunately, we can only borrow up to 21 points as we’ve already borrowed some for our booked reservation and then the 50% rule comes into play. We only have a 100 point contract so not a whole lot to play with.
Can you use OTU points?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter