Any eBay sellers stop accepting Paypal?

I buy on E-Bay every now and then, generally only from people with lots of good feedback, or people I know (animal shelters who use auctions as fund raisers) and won't bid on anything I can pay by Pay Pal. I jsut can't be bothered to go and find a place to buy a money order, wait in line for it, then mail it.

Anne

If I sold something on Ebay again, I'd never take Paypal - too many horror stories. There is a guy who sells chocodiles who it looks like only takes credit cards through Paypal - I might use that (in that instance), unless I can find out if he accepts checks. I do not trust Paypal.

I used to sell a lot more on Ebay (years ago, back when it seemed that nearly everyone was being honest) and it was better back then - Paypal too.

I've only bought one thing by M.O. on ebay and that was by mistake. I didn't read the payment terms. I completed the sale as specified. But it was a lesson learned for me. Too much trouble! Now, I won't even look at an item that is M.O. only.

I don't like M.O. as a buyer or a seller. It's very inconvenient as a buyer (to me). And as a seller, I've had problems with people telling me they have sent a M.O., when in fact they have not. And then you get the, "I'll resend the M.O.". More b.s.. I don't like that kind of waiting game. That was my experience.

I like Paypal.

I will not bid on something without paypal- I have had to use their services in the past and have never had a issue. so it takes a few days to transfer over oh well. I also always offer it with my auctions. its so much easier.

I'm very surprised at what I am reading about Paypal! We use it for ebay and love it. There have been several times that we have had fees refunded due to nonpaying bidders or purchase price refunded as we've had a one or two cases where our purchased item didn't ship. Also, people tend to overpay on shipping with us ... alot. Paypal is the easiest way to refund their overpayment as it is instantaneous.

I hate to use our CC and frequently use the Paypal CC (as there is always money in our account) to purchase through online stores, not ebay, without a problem. And, DH simply electronically transfers money from our Paypal account to our savings account several times per week so I am confused as to how one wouldn't be able to access their money.

Let me make sure I understand this all correctly.....if a buyer claims the item was not as described or not received, paypal takes the money from your account and gives it to them? What it there is no money in your account?

That's not exactly how it works. You are talking about 2 separate issues, an item not received claim and an item significantly not as described claim.

All sellers need to follow the Seller Protection policy, which requires items be shipped with an online verifiable delivery confirmation. If you are shipping via USPS, that means sending items with delivery confirmation and signature required for any item with a value of $250 or more. If a buyer files a claim for an item not received and you can prove delivery, you will win every time.

NEVER accept PayPal for a local pick up. Even if you have a signed receipt that the item was picked up and the buyer files a not received claim, you will lose. Ridiculous, right?

An item not as described is different. Not all sellers are eligible to provide this coverage (based on feedback rating). If PayPal rules against a seller in this type of claim, or a not received claim, they do take the money from your PayPal account and refund the buyer.

If there is not money in your account, you will owe PayPal. You can rest assured that they will pursue you for this if you do not pay them.

I've never used a money order to pay for anything. If I used my debit card to purchase the money order, would I have any protection? (Our DC is through Wachovia & gives us the same protection as a CC.) If not, I wouldn't purchase anything with a MO. If so, I don't see why purchasing an expensive item would be a problem. Please, enlighten me. :)

A MO can be purchased with cash, debit card, or traveler's check only.
I don't really know the answer to having any extra protection if you purchased with a debit card, but I don't think so. Maybe yours is different though. :confused3

Some money order services may have the option to stop payment if problems arise before the payment is cashed, but after it is cashed you are tough out of luck.

If I'm buying something from someone who has been a long time e-bayer and they have a lot of positive feedback, I might feel a bit more secure, but with all the threads about people's accounts being hi-jacked lately, maybe I shouldn't.
I just don't think you have much recourse if you pay with a MO and then never receive your item or have problems with it. Thus why I would never use a MO for a big ticket item.

Good information on Paypal protection lost*in*cyberspace!

I had no idea about the local pick-up thing. I have a couple of auctions for event tickets up right now where I offered a pick-up option to save the buyer shipping costs. I will be sure to specify that paypal cannot be used if they choose to pick-up. Thank you!

nbodyhome said:
There is a guy who sells chocodiles.

Chocodiles, you mean the hostess snack cake chocodiles? OMG. I used to love those as a kid. Would buy them on eBay but that it too funny.

cats mom said:
A MO can be purchased with cash, debit card, or traveler's check only.
I don't really know the answer to having any extra protection if you purchased with a debit card, but I don't think so. Maybe yours is different though. :confused3

Thanks for the info. :) Our Wachovia debit card does have buyer protection. We've had to dispute a couple more expensive purchases. One was considered fraud, because the company charged us an additional $1200 for an item w/o our approval. Obviously, they wouldn't have gotten approval, if they'd asked. The other was for an item that never arrived, & no tracking info. was provided. After reporting it, our money was refunded on both in less than a week. It may be different, when purchasing MOs though.

ETA: I apologize to the OP. I don't mean to hijack your thread. Hopefully, this info will help others who have questions about paying with or receiving MOs.

As a seller, I only accept PayPal. I stopped taking personal checks a long time ago after several bounced. Money orders have too long a turnaround time.

As I buyer I prefer to use PayPal especially for larger items so I can use my CC. I've had a couple of incidents in the past where I never received my item and I was able to get my $$ back by filing a chargeback.

Anyone who uses a Credit card check the CC terms of your company. If you file a chargeback with Washington Mutal that item must have been purchased within 100 miles of your home or be one of their credit cards in order for you to dispute the charge. Good thing the CC I used was the PayPal CC (not the debit card where the funds come from your PayPal account). Washington Mutal is the bank for the PayPal CC. Otherwise.......I would have been stuck for $100!!

I did file a chargeback and then filed fraud charges with the sellers State Attourney General. They literally called her and told her to pay me back or they were going to take her to court. Since I was granted the chargeback, she paid PayPal. Sh claimed PayPal and ebay never notified her about the dispute. Yeah right.

Now I use my AMEX for every purchase and pay through PayPal.

Speaking as mainly a buyer, I will most usually not even consider buying from a seller that doesn't take Paypal. I might buy from someone that takes a personal check, but only if it is something that is hard to find and infrequently listed on Ebay. Buying a money order and sending it in the mail is both a hassle and extra cost to me....price of money order, gas to drive and buy it, stamp to send it.

I don't like that Paypal is essentially a monopoly and eats away at seller's profits, the cost of which is often passed on to me the buyer. However, I see it as a necessary evil for the sake of convenience and the fact that I am protected when I pay via credit card.

MosMom said:
Plantlady,

Do you find only accepting MO's limits your sales or do you have no problem?

I buy and sell and I will not bid on a MO auction if similar items are up for auction from sellers that are.

I have had more problems buying good products then selling (todate). But I do think Paypal is convenient.

didn't read the entire thread, but wanted to chime in as a frequent Ebay buyer (very little selling) and I won't buy from a seller if they don't use Paypal, for the convenience purposes only.

I think that if you are uncomfortable then don't use it, but you may be turning off some buyers. It's so hard these days with Ebay and all the fees in order to make a buck, that's why I don't sell much. It's mainly due to all the companies and the stores, it's no longer a "mom and pop" type of auction house, it's all about making the bucks for ebay. I long for the days when it was just regular people like us buying and selling.

Nynaeve said:
...and it annoys us that we don't have the cash after selling to buy things in stores here, it's stuck in the paypal account instead.

PayPal now has a very convenient debt card. You have to be a member for three months, but I believe that is the only requirement.

You can then use it to get cash at an ATM (PayPal charges $1, in addition to any fees the ATM takes), but if you use it as a MasterCard (i.e. use it to pay for purchases at the store and signing your name instead of using the PIN) you get 1% cash back instantly.

Last month I used it to pay the cable bill - $100/mo - and it was nice to get that 1% credited back instantly.

NED

I've had such middling experiences on eBay, and have heard such horror stories, that I won't consider bidding on any auction where the sellers doesn't directly accept credit cards -- forget about PayPal. The buyers protection is just too valuable to give up.

Well, PayPal actually offers limited protection because of certain restrictions.

I still offer payment via PayPal, USPS money order, checks, and BidPay (Western Union). 90% of my business is with PayPal.

I accept only USPS money orders because I cash them in right at the post office - no wait, no fuss.

I would never buy from someone that doesn't take paypal. There are scams out there, but be careful and use common sense, even then I know things can go wrong, but thats how life is.

If a seller doesnt have paypal I do not have the time to go to the bank, when its open, and get a money order. I don't own cheques and the hassle of getting money orders then mailing them is too much. It may seem lazy but my time is more valuable than that.

Ive used it to sell as well, i never found the fees too much. It just gets worked into the price really.

What I meant is that PayPal won't reverse a charge within 180 days of the charge, if I'm dissatisfied for any reason. PayPal is beholden first to the seller; credit cards place a lot more priority on satisfying card holders.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter