Any DVCers ever stay at Daytona Beach?

disynut

DIS Veteran
Since we have missed so much school for snow, it looks like our late May trip will have to wait until July. DH is a huge NASCAR fan and wants to time it with the Pepsi 400 race at Daytona. I guess we'll stay at Daytona over the 4th, then move over to WDW. My question is, can anyone give us a good recommendation of a nice place on the beach to stay?

I thought about trying tug.net and renting from someone over there, but I don't know anything about any place. And probably just a regular hotel would be okay for just a few nights.

Also, any tips on getting good seats and getting to the race(I hear traffic can be a bear)?

I hope my post doesn't get moved(please?) because I know that my fellow DVCers know the kind of accommodations I'm used to and know what I'll expect!

Thanks!

Jennifer:p

We stayed at the Adams Mark in October before heading over to WDW. Right on the beach and in the middle of all the action. We were very pleased and are staying there again in August before our next WDW stay. You can make revervations and see the room types on www.adamsmark.com. It's a little more expensive than some other places on the beach, but I believe that you get what you pay for in this life. I would highly recommend it.

Mike

You probably know that you will pay a huge premium for accommodations during a "race week" in Daytona Beach. We love the Daytona Beach area, having visited it almost yearly since the mid-sixties. The one thing that you should know about DB motels is that many are older. You might even be better off staying in the Orlando area and driving over the day of the race...I remember that the 4th race was held at night recently, not sure if that is the case for this year so that would complicate abit. In the old days, we would stay at Daytona and do a "day" trip over to the MK (only park at the time) and stay until midnight (so it was really much more than a day trip) and drive back over to the beach that night. I would look at the official NASCAR sight for ticket info. Haven't been to a race in quite few years (we actually enjoyed NASCAR before it became cool) but they used to send applications for tickets to those who had ordered the previous year asking if they would like to upgrade prior to the general public ordering tickets. With the internet who knows how it is done now. A few very nice places (nice being relative to Daytona and not DVC) that we have stayed have been the Sun Viking Inn and the Palm Plaza. We now stay in the "mom and pop" places that are better for families though abit older. The Tropical Manor Inn is very nice for families. I am afraid that you will find many places are already booked for this time period and, again, very expensive relative to what you need it for ie., a place to sleep. That is why I would consider at this late date driving over the day of the race. Hope this helps.

Thank you for your replies! I actually did want to just get an AP rate(hopefully) at a resort we haven't stayed at before in wdw and drive over--dh was kind of wanting to stay on the beach for a night or two if possible. I've looked into a few places and they are running very high, so we may wind up staying at WDW anyway.

Jennifer

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter