• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any DVC teachers do this?

TheWho

DIS Veteran'
(Or anyone else for that matter) Since my wife is a teacher and we go to WDW once a year. (usually in the summer) Does anyone go in August, buy AP's, and then go in July the next year and use the same AP's. Then go in August the next year and start the cycle over.

Dave

We certainly time our trips to get more than one vacation out of our APs. When I bought my first AP, I was just thinking I would get my $$ worth by going into the park 12 days on one trip. But then the "AP mentality" hit me, and I managed to squeeze in two more trips (another 11 days in the parks!) before that one expired. My current AP has been used on four trips with another planned in 2 weeks! I love having an AP!

My wife and I are teachers and we have done the "buy an AP in July, go for spring break and go again in June" routine. It's great because you never feel like you have to squeeze in too much in one day.

That is the best way to do it....since they changed the way you can renew it is best to visit Aug one year....June the next....let the AP lapse and buy a new one the following year. I know a renewal saves you a few $$$ but if you don't use it to the following summer you are not getting the most for your money..

I find that as a teacher when you have the AP you end up spending more time at Disney...Always trying to squeeze in those long weekends!!

:)

:smooth:

I'm not a teacher however my wife is a professor and we do buy annual passes and get two trips in before it expires. The break even point I believe is about 8 visits.

Ed
DVC 1994

WE do the same thing, only we travel September, December or January. This past year we went first week of January ( we were there for the big New Years celebration 12/31/99-01/01/00). We were there another week in September, and another 12 days in early December. In the past we would have renewed our pass in December and then held it for a year before using it again, but they changed the rules on renewal, so now we have to buy vouchers and use them when we go down next. We bought the vouchers in Jaunuary before the price increase, and will not use them until next January.

hi: we've been ap holders since 93, and have sometimes been fortunate enough to squeeze 3 one week trips in on our aps before they expire.

Last year we purchased an AP because it was the first year we had to prior to that we had passes included.
We bought passes in August and sayed 21 days then we were on a cruise in April and becuase of the AP deceided to go and were there for 5days and then finally we are going in July for another 8days. I believe it works out to about $8.00 per day.
What a deal!!!
Go for it/

ABSOLUTELY. I teach also and we do the Aug/July AP's all the time. Once in a while we even squeeze in a quick trip on April vacation while the passes are good. This time we purchased Ap's last August and stayed for 17 nights. We went again for 6 nights on April vacation this year and we'll be returning for 18 nights in July/August leaving just before our AP's run out. Then we'll wait until next August and start again. Definitely the way to get the most out of Ap's.;)

I'm not a teacher YET..(half way through school :bounce: ), but once I do become one, I think this will be the way to go! With the AP and using DVC points, it seems like the second vacation will be practically free!!!

Thanks for the idea!
Karen

We plan our trips to get at least 2 trips on our AP's. In fact if not for AP's we may not have bought into DVC. In 1996 we had planned a trip for the 1st 2 weeks of Jan. Since the break even is 8 days we had budgeted for AP's. In Sept we were in need of a short little get away and got lucky with air and a great rate at WL. Since we were going in Jan we bought our AP's in Sept. We got 4 days in the parks on that trip, 15 in Jan and 8 the next Jan just before they expired! Oh and BTW, on that little short get away we bought 200 points at OKW!

Terry:smooth:

Hubby is a teacher and we get at least 2 trips a year on our APS. Always go in April and August, during school vacations. We average about 3 weeks a year so they are really worth it. The July/August thing is a good idea if you can do it, my brother has been doing this for years.

Can you buy an annual pass and share it? I've always wondered about this...I know, I know, it's not the right thing to do, but I'm curious. Do they have a photo for ID or something???

AP's used to have photos on them but now they are just like the other passes but with your name printed on them. You do have to put your fingers into a scanner at the gates when you enter the park. I'm not sure if the scanners really check any info or if they just use this to try to keep people honest. I've never tried to "mix up" the passes and see if they still work. All the Disney lovers we know use AP's anyway. I'd be afraid to share mine, then get caught and lose the pass.

Since we were early buyers at OKW, we only had to start dealing with passes in 2000. Usually, we can't make enough trips in a year to make APs finanially worthwhile. :( But this year, DH & I are doing a no-kids anniversary trip, in addition to our annual March trip w/ DSs. So DH & I got APs. We always do our March trip during DSs' school vacation. Luckily, this year's vacation was late in March and next year's vacation is early in March. so we covered all of this year's March trip, all of our Oct. anniversary trip and about half of next year's March trip. Boy do I miss those free OKW passes!!!!!!!!!

Diane--

so glad to see you post that you bought a voucher and saved for a year before turning in for the actual AP. I have asked several times if an AP voucher has an expiration or not and I get confllicting information. I have a voucher (not AP) that will knock another $50 off the AP price for me and I want to go ahead and do this, but will not need the AP for quite some time as I have other tickets with expiration dates that I need to use up first. Was hoping to lock int he AP at the existing cost.

I'm a teacher and we have been doing the AP for 6 years. Most of the time we have been lucky enough to do two trips during the year. Sometimes we have even done three. July or August, Christmas or Easter and then again in June. We have even convinced friends to purchase AP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter