Any alternate route to 75 from Mississauga than via Detroit

The Brechun's

Mouseketeer
Driving down to WDW on Feb 28. Was going to take the 79/77/95 route down but everyone tells me I could run into bad weather at that time of year so it looks like I will probably go down via 75. If I plan on 75 is there another route from Mississauga other than Detroit. I was hoping someone out there might know of a good route via Buffalo

We always cross over at Fort Erie and work our way over to 75. I can't rember off hand how we get there but I could pull up old trip tiks
if you want more info. We prefer this route because the trip to Windsor is so boring.

I'm not sure there really is one. You can go over BUF to 1-95, but we found at Xmas that was one of the worst driving area's due to proximity of Erie, PA to the lake. We got quite a bit of lake effect snow and bad weather coming through there. Plus I think (and I could be wrong) if you went that way and cut across Ohio to get to 75, it might add a few more hours on to your trip.
What is it about 401 to Detroit that you don't like? Have been that way a lot and even though it is boring, it's probably the best way.
I can also let you know where the last Tim Horton's is in Ohio off I-75 - I have it marked on our map!!
Happy driving!

I have to agree with Yzma and Kronk. There is a lot of bad weather on I-90 between Buffalo and Erie. I would take the 401 straight to Windsor and cross there. I also think the London to Windsor stretch of the 401 has to be the most boring in the country. :D

Another option is get off the 401 and take the 402 to Port Huron and go down that way it is apparently only about 10 to 15 minutes in difference but you don't have to cross into Detroit.

I agree with Darren&Lisa, take the 401 to 402 and cross from Sarnia to Port Huron, MI. We find that the driving time to Detroit from London is roughly the same regardless of whether we take that route or the 401 to Windsor.

Once into Michigan, pick up I94 to Detroit and then take I75 south. I94 is a pretty good road, with speed limits at 70mph in some stretches. We've always found crossing at Bluewater much easier than at the Ambassador bridge. We've never had more than a 15 minute wait at Bluewater.

And make sure you have a copy of Dave Hunter's book "Along Interstate 75". It will be invaluable.

- Mike

I also think the London to Windsor stretch of the 401 has to be the most boring in the country.

Just over 1 hour and it's the most boring? You need to try Calgary to Winnipeg!

I drove from Windsor to Toronto every other weekend for 3 years while I went to school in Windsor. It is boring but there have been some changes -- there's no longer a Burger King by London.:p

You don't really drive through Detroit if you are worried about that though because the turn off for I-75 isn't a very long way off the bridge.

I would second getting Dave Hunter's book -- I wouldn't drive to Florida on the I75 (which is the route we usually drive) without it.

Hope you have a good, safe trip regardless of the path. The destination couldn't be better.

Cdnmickeylover

I agree with everyone on the I75 book we buy it every year even if we are not makng the trip that year we still buy it. As for the I75 being a short distance from the bridge that is right it is about maybe 5 minutes away from the point where you get off the bridge. So it isn't like you are driving through anyplace in Detroit for a long period of time we always do the crossing at Windsor and we have never had much of a delay at the border either. Our last trip to WDW we got to the bridge and the longest wait was while the kids went into the duty free to go for a washroom break before crossing. So do not worry about crossing in Detroit there is nothing to worry about at all and most importantly enjo the drive to the greatest place on earth WDW.....

Careful, Gary.

I may live in London now, but I grew up in Regina. Just watch what you're calling boring. :eek:

- Mike

Originally posted by calgarygary
Just over 1 hour and it's the most boring? You need to try Calgary to Winnipeg!

Hey Mike, I've lived in both cities, London for most of my youth and Regina for a year. Let's be honest, the only exciting thing about the drive outside Regina is ????? (leaving?) oops sorry I didn't really mean that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter