Antarctica!

OK, medical forms are in. Now I just need to work out the timeline for (1) the PCR test for entry into Argentina, (2) registering for travel to Argentina (which requires upload of the PCR test) and receiving the travel certificate, and (3) getting the family set up in VeriFly for the return trip to the US.

Since we arrive before the official “ABD Arrival Day””, we will need to work out the ABD health assessment and vaccination card uploads in Buenos Aires.

BTW, I spoke with ABD last week regarding the testing for the cruise. At that time, they said 4 tests total (all administered by ABD)—one at the hotel on arrival day, one at the port prior to embarkation, one on Day 2 of the cruise, and one at the end of the trip before flying home.
Which is different then what they told me when I spoke to them last week. My question concerned the fact that the 4 days previous to the expedition cruise starting how would all the tests be handled because the two were different trips according to the ABD (although you have to be continuing to Antarctica if you are going to Buenos Aires first). What I was ultimately told was that I was responsible for any test before our arrival in Argentina and after that ABD would be in charge since we are under their bubble at that point :) I haven't fully read Argentina's requests at this point beyond needing a PCR 72 hours prior to arrival and then the site said you get tested again when you get to the airport - It will probably evolve again before the end of January which is when we are going.

I haven't fully read Argentina's requests at this point beyond needing a PCR 72 hours prior to arrival and then the site said you get tested again when you get to the airport - It will probably evolve again before the end of January which is when we are going.
Hi - would you please share a link to the site where you found this information? I’m not seeing this on the webpage from the US Embassy in Argentina re Covid information and entry/ exit requirements. Thanks!

https://ar.usembassy.gov/covid-19/

Which is different then what they told me when I spoke to them last week. My question concerned the fact that the 4 days previous to the expedition cruise starting how would all the tests be handled because the two were different trips according to the ABD (although you have to be continuing to Antarctica if you are going to Buenos Aires first). What I was ultimately told was that I was responsible for any test before our arrival in Argentina and after that ABD would be in charge since we are under their bubble at that point :) I haven't fully read Argentina's requests at this point beyond needing a PCR 72 hours prior to arrival and then the site said you get tested again when you get to the airport - It will probably evolve again before the end of January which is when we are going.
It all begs the question: what happens if you test positive? Travel won't get fully underway until tour companies accept only those who are vaccinated and stop testing. The fear of being removed from a trip or placed in quarantine is big deterrent for me, as it is likely being fully vaccinated--with booster-- will contain covid to minor symptoms (or block it completely). Anyone lying about having the vaccine assumes the risk.

We can't assume business as usual until hospitals are within decent capacity again. As tempting as it is to just say "the risk is on you" the risk is on everyone while capacity is down. I have a family friend that needs several important surgeries that can't get them because too many Covid patients are taxing the system. If I get in a car wreck tomorrow, I might end up in another whole state.

Yes, not to belabor the point, but a local man died a few months ago from his gallstones. It is a simple surgery, but there were no recovery beds available for him for after the surgery, which became more critical the longer it took to find a bed and he got sicker. By the time they found a hospital with space, 9 hours later, he was septic and died shortly after. From gallstones. This was during the summer surge.

Got the email today make sure Covid related diseases were part of our insurance. Not knowing for sure, even after reading the entire document whether it was or not. Called the insurance agency and they added an additional page to the COB that indicated that Covid related diseases were included as part of the insurance. You might want to check what you bought to insure you are covered as well. For my insurance there was no additional charge.

Today’s email from ABD… we need another COVID test no more than 72 hours before boarding the ship. My fabulous Dreams TA Tracey contacted ABD for us to clarify. Since we are on the Buenos Aires Escape ABD will facilitate us getting the test in BA.

I just want to get there and put all the hoops we’re jumping through away. I know it will all be worth it but right now it’s a little stressful.

In other news, our Antarctica box arrived today! It’s the biggest ABD box I’ve ever received and has some very useful items. 😁

So - I still haven't received the medical forms - and we are now (at least tomorrow) 45 days out. However, I did download that ones that were attached in an earlier and got the forms completed and signed (at least I signed mine my husband didn't so I will send his off tomorrow). I am not surprised the ABD will help with the additional test (I did call and ask how that was going to work) and they were hesitant to give a straight answer. Can't wait to see my box but I suspect it won't be until the first of the year.

Today’s email from ABD… we need another COVID test no more than 72 hours before boarding the ship. My fabulous Dreams TA Tracey contacted ABD for us to clarify. Since we are on the Buenos Aires Escape ABD will facilitate us getting the test in BA.

I just want to get there and put all the hoops we’re jumping through away. I know it will all be worth it but right now it’s a little stressful.

In other news, our Antarctica box arrived today! It’s the biggest ABD box I’ve ever received and has some very useful items. 😁

I feel you... we're going through the same thing for a non-ABD trip next month. We need a PCR for the first flight to get into Ecuador, then our flight from there to the Galapagos is more than 72 hours from when we could do it for the first flight and get our results by a mere two hours, so we'll have to test again. If we weren't boarding the yacht right away we'd need another one for that! Plus we need to do the same on the way home unless the US drops that requirement (unlikely). We went from not having to test at all to having to test at least 3 times in less than two weeks. Being vaccinated ultimately hasn't saved us any hassle on this trip (I'd still much rather have it than not mind you).

We are arriving on Saturday in Buenos Aires (but not for the Escape ABD), and Tracey confirmed that our PCR test will be administered when we arrive at the ABD hotel on Monday. Hopefully the Q-tip has a Mickey on the end to take the sting off :(. (Also, agree on the Antarctica box--the combination backpack/dry bag is super-nice!)

We are arriving on Saturday in Buenos Aires (but not for the Escape ABD), and Tracey confirmed that our PCR test will be administered when we arrive at the ABD hotel on Monday. Hopefully the Q-tip has a Mickey on the end to take the sting off :(. (Also, agree on the Antarctica box--the combination backpack/dry bag is super-nice!)
How big is the combination backpack/drybag? Thanks!

The December adventure start date is today! I’ve not seen that it was cancelled…
ABD just posted this on fb:

"Bon Voyage from the southernmost city in the world! Our Inaugural Antarctica & Patagonia Expedition Cruise has set sail!
🛳
"

So it looks like they are off and running!

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!