Another Newbie Pop-Up Question

labdogs42

DIS Veteran
Hi all! DIS-ing from my campsite again on the maiden voyage with our pop-up! Walking around the campground this morning, we noticed a camper with those lego-type leveling blocks under the leveling jacks of their camper. The guy at the camper dealer told us those were supposed to go under the wheels. We didn't buy the lego thingys yet, but we were thinking about getting some. So, are they a good thing and where do you put them -- under the jacks or the wheels? Thanks!

We have 2 sets, I put them under the wheels to level the TT side to side, if needed. I do put the rest under the jacks because our trailer is very high because of the slides. If you put 6" of blocks under each jack, then the jack is closer too trailer and "wobbles" less, and when you are my size, the family tends to get a little sea sick if I walk and it wobbles.... LOL

If you look behind the mickey lamp, you can see my blocks.

fort1%20023.jpg

They are handy. We put them under the hitch, jacks, wheels and if you have a flat on a 2 axle RV you can make a ramp for the good tire to change the flat tire. I've also seen people use them to make a pitch for their sewer hoses.

The only reason to put levelling blocks under the jacks is if they can't reach the ground or if the ground is soft and the footprint of the jack so small that it might sink into the ground.

I put two stick-on bubble levels on my popup (like upside down smiles one on the side and one on the rear bumper) so that I know setting up how level I am front-to-back and side-to-side. Technically you should only have to level one wheel (the lower side) by using the lego boards or something else (I had a piece of 1x8 that I cut up and stack on top of). The upper side we chock front and back of the wheel. When using no levellers we use 4 chocks.

Our favorite campground at the beach gets the asphalt pretty warm in the summer so one time I put the wheel on the front post and it sunk in about an inch during our visit. So I use a piece of board to put under the wheel to distribute the load (or I just don't even bother with the wheel when popped up-I just drop the post on the board.

Keeping your popup level keeps it easy to raise and lower the roof (a tilt puts a strain on the mechanics) and helps water drain out of sinks or showers the way it's supposed to. The Fort's pads, I have found on my three visits with our popup, are pretty good and I haven't had to level side-to-side.

Bama ED

Cool -- thanks, guys! Is there a good place to buy these things online? I was thinking they might be less expensive than what I saw at the RV dealership (at least that's what the parts guy said -- he said to buy them somewhere else!!).

I have seen them at Wal-Mart, if not probably Camping World on sale.

Aren't you at Disney right now? For some reason, at least I think you are. There is a camping world about 5 miles away on rt 192 I think. That is where we get ours, when they have them on sale, they are really cheap.

Wally world has a set for 29 bucks. I always use blocks of treated lumber under the stabilizers and the jack on the hitch.

Aren't you at Disney right now? For some reason, at least I think you are. There is a camping world about 5 miles away on rt 192 I think. That is where we get ours, when they have them on sale, they are really cheap.

No, the maiden voyage of the pop-up was only to a local campground here in PA (Delaware Water Gap KOA to be specific). Someday we hope to make it to the fort!

I'll keep an eye out for them at Wally World or Camping World. Thanks!

Ok, never mind, my bad.... LOL, you can always get them online from camping world, I got both sets of mine for $19 ea.

No, the maiden voyage of the pop-up was only to a local campground here in PA (Delaware Water Gap KOA to be specific). Someday we hope to make it to the fort!

I'll keep an eye out for them at Wally World or Camping World. Thanks!

Hey, I was just there the beginning of August. I liked the campground, except there was no sewer hookup, but I guess that doesn't matter in a pop up. Where the heck are you? I live near Allentown.

Hey, I was just there the beginning of August. I liked the campground, except there was no sewer hookup, but I guess that doesn't matter in a pop up. Where the heck are you? I live near Allentown.

Oh yeah, I'm in Coplay. Pretty near Allentown, too!

You wouldn't be happening to be talking about the Lynx Levelers?

index_levelers.jpg

Yep, that's what I'm talking about! Gotta get some of them!

I wonder if they have them in Trexlertown, too? I hate the WalMart in Whitehall , but I may have to brave it for this!! Thanks!!

Yeah, I hear ya. That place is disgusting. I just hate driving out to Trexlertown. I have been going to Kmart lately - cleaner. I just happened to be in there this weekend 'cause Lowes didn't have the light bulbs I needed but Wally World did. I can ride my scooter there, so it works.

Yeah, I hear ya. That place is disgusting. I just hate driving out to Trexlertown. I have been going to Kmart lately - cleaner. I just happened to be in there this weekend 'cause Lowes didn't have the light bulbs I needed but Wally World did. I can ride my scooter there, so it works.

Funny. I went to KMart the other day to buy plastic bins for the camper for the same reason. I"ll do anything to avoid that WalMart! I better not tell my DH that you have a scooter -- he wants one of those, too!!

100 mpg baby. I just filled up with premium and it cost me 2.75. That's one whole month of running my errands and some joy rides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter