Another luau question… or a few

ozliz

DIS Veteran
I’m starting a fresh post for some new questions on the luau and really want up to date (ie post covid) info. Here goes…

1. If choosing between Aulani and Paradise Cove, which luau is better and why? Is Aulani worth the extra cost?
2. If you’ve dined recently with special dietary requirements, which luau handled them best? I’m particularly keen on personal experience as I know some people who’ve never dealt with this don’t realise how hard it can be sometimes to get a half decent meal (especially when your dietary requirements don’t really match the traditional Hawaiian food).
3. With the bento box style service at Aulani, is the only real benefit of the VIP ticket the better seating? At some luaus the more expensive tickets include more drinks but for Aulani it looks like drinks, including alcoholic cocktails and spirits that are often not included in other situations (not a beer or wine drinker) might be included in all the tickets.

We did paradise cove only because Aulani had no availability when we were there two weeks ago. We loved it. The walk was very easy and nice. Lots of people from the resort were walking over as well. we didn’t RUSH over right when doors opened and had no wait to check in or even do any of the little activities available. My kids LOVED spending their cove cards at the store and even their photo op there was really beautiful with the beach in the back and was only $20 (compared to the dole plantation which wanted $35! For the same amount of photos with a field in the background. Clearly we passed on dole pics 😂). My family loved the food and did the orchid seating and had great seats. We don’t do buffets really so my kids LOVED the idea of a buffet and getting as what they wanted and as much as their little hearts desired 😂. Show was phenomenal IMO. Best fire dancers I’ve seen at any luau.

With the bento box style service at Aulani, is the only real benefit of the VIP ticket the better seating? At some luaus the more expensive tickets include more drinks but for Aulani it looks like drinks, including alcoholic cocktails and spirits that are often not included in other situations (not a beer or wine drinker) might be included in all the tickets.
Better seats, early entry, and the photo is included.

We recently did the Aulani Luau, so I can only speak to that, but I have a lot of food allergies specific to a lot of the types of foods they serve at a luau. There was a lot on the regular menu that I could not eat, and they were great about accommodating and substituting what I needed. While the food isn't WOW, it is plentiful and you shouldn't leave hungry. We chose to go for the overall experience. The service was fantastic! The servers were so on top of things, kind and personable. We did do VIP seating, because it was just my husband and I and it was great, but I wouldn't spend the money if we had a family with us. I feel like it would be just as good seated anywhere. What we loved about the Luau at Aulani (the show was good), was that we just got ready and walked there from our room, it was so nice not to have to really go anywhere. That was the most relaxing part of it~ we had been busy touring so much, it was so nice to just stay on property.

We did paradise cove only because Aulani had no availability when we were there two weeks ago. We loved it. The walk was very easy and nice. Lots of people from the resort were walking over as well. we didn’t RUSH over right when doors opened and had no wait to check in or even do any of the little activities available. My kids LOVED spending their cove cards at the store and even their photo op there was really beautiful with the beach in the back and was only $20 (compared to the dole plantation which wanted $35! For the same amount of photos with a field in the background. Clearly we passed on dole pics 😂). My family loved the food and did the orchid seating and had great seats. We don’t do buffets really so my kids LOVED the idea of a buffet and getting as what they wanted and as much as their little hearts desired 😂. Show was phenomenal IMO. Best fire dancers I’ve seen at any luau.
Thanks for taking the time to write this great review. I did Aulani 3 years ago but the rest of my party have not so I was torn about the Disney experience, but all these great PC review are steering me towards PC.

We recently did the Aulani Luau, so I can only speak to that, but I have a lot of food allergies specific to a lot of the types of foods they serve at a luau. There was a lot on the regular menu that I could not eat, and they were great about accommodating and substituting what I needed. While the food isn't WOW, it is plentiful and you shouldn't leave hungry. We chose to go for the overall experience. The service was fantastic! The servers were so on top of things, kind and personable. We did do VIP seating, because it was just my husband and I and it was great, but I wouldn't spend the money if we had a family with us. I feel like it would be just as good seated anywhere. What we loved about the Luau at Aulani (the show was good), was that we just got ready and walked there from our room, it was so nice not to have to really go anywhere. That was the most relaxing part of it~ we had been busy touring so much, it was so nice to just stay on property.
That is very helpful thanks.

Loved Paradise Cove. Also need to give a shout out to their shops. We didn't opt for the admission tier that included fresh leis and were able to buy them for $7 at the gift shop. They also had the best prices for quality aloha shirts--we stocked up on them for gifts for relatives back home. They still wear them all the time!

Unfortunately it appears that the Chiefs Luau only does transfers from Waikiki (no plans for a rental car).
Not that I have been,,,going to Aulani for 1st time this summer,,,but looking at maps Chiefs is a very short ride to get to,,,should be a cheap uber if you dont have a car.

1. We did the deluxe version at both last time and much preferred Paradise Cove. We are two adults with no children, so I could see Aulani having advantages if you have children, but for us PC won on most counts (service, entertainment, and seating).
2. My husband has a shellfish allergy which was handled well at both. It was still self serve at Aulani back then so they told him which dishes to avoid.
3. We actually didn't find the seating better for deluxe at Aulani! We were right at the front but completely to the side so my back was to everything. We were so close together that it was very difficult and uncomfortable to turn. I believe the table set up is completely different since covid, but I would have preferred a table further back so I could see what was happening! At Paradise Cove we picked the seating at the back. It was nice to be raised up slightly and there was also a fan which I appreciated.
At Aulani I believe it was 'unlimited' drinks whereas Paradise Cove gave us a gift card for drinks. As these were only served at certain times (not during the show) we had the same number of drinks at both.

Better seats, early entry, and the photo is included.

The photo wasn't included when we went! We actually found it rude that they tried to sell it to us while we were eating and as soon as I took the picture to look at they asked if I was charging to my room or paying on card! At Paradise Cove they presented us with the picture at the end along with a gift of a small cool bag. Unfortunately, I hadn't smiled for the picture as I thought they would try to charge us for it again! :)

The photo wasn't included when we went! We actually found it rude that they tried to sell it to us while we were eating and as soon as I took the picture to look at they asked if I was charging to my room or paying on card! At Paradise Cove they presented us with the picture at the end along with a gift of a small cool bag. Unfortunately, I hadn't smiled for the picture as I thought they would try to charge us for it again! :)
When was this? Current process is that you get a photopass card with unlimited rights to the digital photo.

Not that I have been,,,going to Aulani for 1st time this summer,,,but looking at maps Chiefs is a very short ride to get to,,,should be a cheap uber if you dont have a car.
Yes, Chief's is about a 5 minutes drive from Aulani so should be very convenient with an Uber (we drove). I highly recommend it as a luau.

We're going to Aulani for the first time in May. I'm honestly behind on planning for this trip, and just checking now, their luau looks booked through August!?! Does anyone know if they save some tickets for sale on site?

Shame on me, but I honestly didn't think I'd need to be booking far out for the luau. Anything else I should be booking immediately?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter