Another look at DHS "super crowds"

We did HS twice in our trip, 1 day for the star wars stuff 1 day for the rest.
HUGE anxiety for me related to ROTR and almost a failure to get on due to my app not working. The morning in HS sucked, wall to wall people. Even rope droping smugglers run was a long wait. This was mid Feb 8 AM open. Was better in the evening when we came back for ROTR

We went back a few days later skipping rope drop, got there around 10 something doing SDD fast pass, 45 min wait for Saucers, a few shows and toy story mania, had an enjoyable day, but still wall to wall crowds.

I'd concentrate your FPs, do a show or 2 and get out. waiting 90+ for a ride in HS is a miserable experience, some 180+, its just not worth doing.

we're considering planning our next trip. IMHO HS is back to a half day park, I don't think I could stand spending a full day there.

I'm looking forward to going next Wednesday on MMRR grand opening day. The weather is supposed to mid to upper 80's. I've got our FP's, but doing RotR isn't a must do.

Note to self: Eat/drink outside HS when possible as I'm not standing 45 minutes for quick serve.
We will be there opening day as well-we have MFSR, TSMM, and split FP's between ToT and RnRC-was too late to get MMRR so will queue up at rope drop and hope for the best. Our first FP is at 1015. We will try for a boarding pass for two of the four of us-but won't be heartbroken if we don't get one, but be thrilled to get one. We also have a table service reservations for both lunch and dinner, and Oga's reservations. The dinner is Mama Melrose Fantasmic dining package so we should be able to get seats for Fantasmic. We think we can manage, but I am still concerned. We will try to do a few shows and maybe try to ride Alien Saucers in stand-by, but that is the only ride we are thinking we can possibly ride without a FP. I read on these boards shows are still fairly easy to get a seat in-we shall see. My biggest concern is keeping three adults and one 3-year-old together moving through the teaming masses!

Our trip isn't until August, so we have a bit of time for things to calm down. Still, we aren't 100% confident that will happen.
We've done GE and MFSR last trip, and RotR would be fun to do, but it isn't a must-do for this trip.
How realistic would it be to get a FP+ for MMRR, RD RnRC then ToT, have lunch at Sci-Fi, then beat it for a swim at the resort and dinner at DS?
I would be happy if we could at least do that.
You can get FP for all three and avoid trying to have to RD anything (maybe get breakfast instead).

This is all going to change soon when RotR goes FP+. Except for the fact that people will have to RD the Tier 1 attractions that they could not get a FP for.

I agree which is why I am thankful for Boarding Groups. When RotR goes FP+ you will need to be staying multiple onsite days to get one. Right now I actually have a "chance" to ride it. To me no ride is worth more that 45ish minutes in standby.

This is all going to change soon when RotR goes FP+. Except for the fact that people will have to RD the Tier 1 attractions that they could not get a FP for.

I still have to laugh that 3 years ago people were skipping DHS when they planned their weeks. What a difference new development makes.
Where's your evidence that this will be "soon"? I have seen nothing to indicate that being true

Where's your evidence that this will be "soon"? I have seen nothing to indicate that being true

6 months for MFSR to start using FP+. 6 months from Dec is June. So I expect either in April or May for them to open the ride to FP+ reservations for the Summer months.

I am a Star Wars Nut, so much I flew from the East Coast to the West Coast end of last summer just to experience Galaxies Edge. That being said I am going to be at the World next Monday and Tuesday (surprising my wife with a quick overnight trip) and have no plans to go to Hollywood Studios. if I could guarantee a spot of Rise of the Resistance I might but I don't want to waste one of our two days with the crowd levels as they are.

Last edited:
I am a Star Wars Nut, so much I flew from the East Coast to the West Coast end of last summer just to experience Galaxies Edge. That being said I going to be at World next Monday and Tuesday (surprising my wife with a quick overnight trip) and have no plans to go to Hollywood Studios. if I could guarantee a spot of Rise of the Resistance I might but I don't want to waste one of our two days with the crowd levels as they are.

Monday 6/10 at DHS according to TP. The lowest in a while if that prediction can be trusted.

I think another factor here is that HS is the only park open from 8-9 a.m. If all four parks were open at 8, it might disperse crowds a little as people would have to choose. As it stands, people can show up at HS, grab a boarding pass for ROTR, RD a ride or two and still get to another park for its opening.

I agree about getting there for a BG, but there's no way anyone is getting on a ride or two, and making it anywhere by 9. With the lines like they are, many people are not even though their RD ride by 9. And then Disney transportation gums up the works even more.

The only way this would work is if someone tapped in to register him/herself as "there" in the park, left immediately, and got right on a bus for AK or MK and tried for a BG while in transit. Epcot you've got a bit more wiggle room due to proximity, but you're still not going to be able to ride much of anything before you have to leave DHS. Maybe if you have your first FP for DHS and you walk onto that rather than try to RD a standby line, it would be okay.

If people were able to reliably RD even one ride (not even two) by 9am, we probably wouldn't be having this discussion here.

Last edited:

I still have to laugh that 3 years ago people were skipping DHS when they planned their weeks. What a difference new development makes.

Given the lack of reliability of the ride (or even trends in the right direction), I lack your confidence that RotR is going FP any time “soon.”

Really hoping MMRR eats up capacity without driving additional crowds, so *maybe* the park is somewhat bearable for our Spring Break trip.

I’m setting pretty low expectations with the kids
(long lines, crowded, etc) even though SDD and RotR are the only rides we’re very interested in that we don’t have a FP for (planning 1.5 HS days).

We will be there opening day as well-we have MFSR, TSMM, and split FP's between ToT and RnRC-was too late to get MMRR so will queue up at rope drop and hope for the best. Our first FP is at 1015. We will try for a boarding pass for two of the four of us-but won't be heartbroken if we don't get one, but be thrilled to get one. We also have a table service reservations for both lunch and dinner, and Oga's reservations. The dinner is Mama Melrose Fantasmic dining package so we should be able to get seats for Fantasmic. We think we can manage, but I am still concerned. We will try to do a few shows and maybe try to ride Alien Saucers in stand-by, but that is the only ride we are thinking we can possibly ride without a FP. I read on these boards shows are still fairly easy to get a seat in-we shall see. My biggest concern is keeping three adults and one 3-year-old together moving through the teaming masses!

I think all the standbys will be 60 minutes+ (except shows). We're local to WDW, so it's not a make or break situation at all. We just want to experience an opening day event (we aren't anticipating riding MMRR or RotR). We have our FP (they gave us 5 each for the 2 of us!) for Fantasmic, but we've seen it many times and isn't a must do; it's just a placeholder for us.

Our biggest concern is taking Disney transportation (staying onsite for a staycation) or drive over to HS.

Monday 6/10 at DHS according to TP. The lowest in a while if that prediction can be trusted.

LOL, We arrive at around 11am on Monday and as we didn't get a park hopper I don't want to risk my Tuesday on the off chance and be stuck in crowded park.......

DHS has always been a favorite park for me, even when people complained there was nothing to do. I have so much nostalgia (back when it was "MGM" and brand new to little me), and love the theming and atmosphere there so much. I would never skip it but this situation is what ultimately pushed us to getting the CL FPs for our May trip. When we booked last year, we could never have foreseen that DHS situation would be so crazy...we figured FP would be active by the time we went and things would settle into a bit more of a predictable pattern. We were prepared for crowds being huge SW geeks that wanted to be there specifically for May the 4th. Not quite prepared for the current state of things.

At the end of the day we have to use every tool and advantage we can, so we pulled the trigger. We are fortunate enough that we can, as a DINK family going just the two of us. I just feel really sorry for families with little kids having to navigate all this.

Current crowd level is (no complaining) ....castmembers are finally getting a preview for an attraction that is castmember only. So this week crowding is deserved They have been blocked from HS for forever .
So guests be kind you might be standing next to a group of excited college interns and they need to party!

Does anybody know why bus drivers might be on Mandatory work schedule for next Friday at MK and Epcot & HS? What is going on except for final Villain party and start of Spring Breaks and Food and Wine Garden at Epcot ? Expect crowds too

When we booked last year, we could never have foreseen that DHS situation would be so crazy...we figured FP would be active by the time we went and things would settle into a bit more of a predictable pattern. We were prepared for crowds being huge SW geeks that wanted to be there specifically for May the 4th. Not quite prepared for the current state of things.

The number of people on the coronavirus thread stating that they are cancelling their trips is not zero. So maybe that will help with the overcrowding at some point?

6 months for MFSR to start using FP+. 6 months from Dec is June. So I expect either in April or May for them to open the ride to FP+ reservations for the Summer months.
MFSR was in a much better place reliability wise fromThe get go and standby lines were reasonable. I’m not confident that RotR is going to get there that soon and demand is definitely going to remain higher than MFSR.

It the rare situations like this when WDW's "blessing of size" is more of a curse. When I go experience Rise of the Resistance, I think I'm going to be far better off doing it at Disneyland.
I completely get this! We are taking my adult daughter in June to see how crowded it actually is, but we are planning a trip to Disneyland with my sons who are in the spectrum in October because I think they will be able to handle the crowds there better. Even having a DAS pass doesn’t help just get through the crush of people.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter