Another Jury Duty thread

$15 a day here plus mileage OR a free public transit pass to and from your house. If you drive, they have a free parking lot here for jurors
The pay was bumped up per state law. There was no parking lot per se for my county’s biggest superior court. We just got to park on the street. The last time I went for jury duty I found a place that I could park all day but had to walk a few blocks.

Before, our jury summons also contained a parking pass. It allowed jurors and prospective jurors to park in some areas that normally had time limits. When I served on one jury, our bailiff said that if we couldn’t find a space and were in a hurry, we could even park in a metered space and she could get any parking ticket fixed.

I have been called 5 times and did serve on grand jury 17 years ago. I really enjoy the jury process. I was called 2 years ago and made it into the final selection and then was excused. I was actually disappointed. I badly wanted to serve and thought why didn't they pick me. I am sure I will be called again as I find that teachers are called more then other professions around my area. My DH and my father have not been called in 20 years.

Meh - sat on a jury once. This whole 'jury of your peers' concept isn't what it's cracked up to be. Many of my 'peers' suck. :p

Grand jury would be interesting to me.

I got called for grand jury and they explained the time commitment which is difficult when working full time. Ours was 3 half days per week for 3 months. In our pool they got enough volunteers to let the rest of us go. It looked like mainly the retired folks or the unemployed folks were the ones who volunteered.

Hmm-just got a jury summons in the mail yesterday! Yep, it's been approx 18 months since the last time I was called. For that one I actually had to report to the courthouse downtown. Thankfully my husband had the day off and just dropped me off. I didn't want to deal with the one way streets and finding the parking garage. I had to stay there all day and sat as alternate until the lawyers starting dismissing people. Then you were required to go back downstairs and check in while they tried to see if another trial room needed someone. I don't remember getting paid anything. Maybe they mean only if you serve? The previous times I've gotten the summons(have lost count on the number of times) my group has been dismissed and I've claimed hardship when my kids were younger and I needed to be at home.

I'm definitely going to delay or claim hardship on this one, especially in light of covid. They address this situation on the form-"The court is concerned about your health and safety while serving as a juror during the Covid 19 outbreak. Therefore, please wear a face mask at all times in the courthouse, create 3 feet of distance between you and others and frequently use the hand sanitizer stations provided in the courthouse." Nope, not happening- "Creating" 3 feet of distance in a crowded courthouse is impossible.

The other two times, the instructions said that you were supposed to call a number after 5pm the night before you were supposed to appear. They would tell you whether you needed to report the next day or not. I called the number and every night it said that potential jurors did NOT need to appear, so I never even set foot in the courthouse.
That one I don't understand how people work with it. Jobs need coverage and waiting for the evening is too late to find coverage or the other way, coverage is made but then you're out a day's work because your coverage is made but you're not going to jury duty.

That one I don't understand how people work with it. Jobs need coverage and waiting for the evening is too late to find coverage or the other way, coverage is made but then you're out a day's work because your coverage is made but you're not going to jury duty.
That's how it is in Sacramento too. You are on standby for a week until your group is called or dismissed. You have to call the night before each day to see if you've been summoned. If not, you may have to call at 8am the next morning to possibly report at 1pm to the courthouse. So they have both morning and afternoon groups. I find that absolutely ridiculous. I am unemployed but I don't know how working people are able to manage that.

Is it wrong that I am excited I got a notice in the mail today?

I think this is my first time getting called by the county, only once before having been called for Federal jury duty that never happened since it was the week of the 4th of July and the Federal courts were closed the entire week.
I, too, got called for jury duty the week for July 4. The county had only one week before extended the moratorium of trials so I didn't get to serve.
Fingers crossed I actually get on a jury!
I'm with you. I've served twice and it was a great experience.

Yeah... it sucks. And to make matter worse, my current county doesn't do it for a week. Apparently they only seat juries on Wednesday so you're on the hook for six consecutive Wednesdays. If you're picked for a jury then you have to stay till the case is finished. Otherwise, you're off the hook till the next Wednesday. How do you plan for THAT? You basically can't plan anything firm for 6-8 weeks because you "might" be on a jury (although, as I said, I've never even had to report.) And for six consecutive weeks you're telling your boss "I might be here tomorrow, or I might not be. I might be back on Thursday or I might be out indefinitely. I'll let you know as soon as I know."

The last time I got called, my employer made me send in my summons letter because I think they thought I was trying to pull something over on them!

I am 4 for 4! Been called 4 times and served all 4 times!

The most interesting was a 6 week Federal trial in Denver that was overseen by Judge Matsch, the judge who presided over the Timothy McVeigh (Oklahoma Bombing) trial. He was so sharp, and so respected. The trial involved Coors suing Jacobs Engineering for millions. We found for Coors on only 1 of (I believe ) 4 counts and because we were required to award a monetary award, they received $1.00. I think they thought they had a slam dunk case, and the case had been litigated for years before it even came to trial.

I have so many thoughts on jury duty. Over all, I am really grateful for the experience. I found it interesting and enjoyed it.

However, my biggest piece of advice (that frustrated me with fellow jury members in the criminal cases - mostly drunk driving, felony menacing, drug possession) is re-read the jury instructions during deliberations. Read the counts, and decide on what is being asked of you - not what you think the law should be. Oh, and how defense lawyers try to plant "reasonable doubt" during voir dire in their questions to potential jury members.

That's how it is in Sacramento too. You are on standby for a week until your group is called or dismissed. You have to call the night before each day to see if you've been summoned. If not, you may have to call at 8am the next morning to possibly report at 1pm to the courthouse. So they have both morning and afternoon groups. I find that absolutely ridiculous. I am unemployed but I don't know how working people are able to manage that.

For my county, the summons is in the form of a postcard now. There's no definite end to the commitment here, but they do have a "one-day/one-trial" policy. When one finally shows up, there's generally a one-day commitment unless selected for a jury. However, there's always the possibility that someone isn't excused the first day and they ask for prospective jurors to return the next day. Or they could just excuse anyone not selected and continue with a new jury pool the next day.

They'll have a recorded message or a check on the website for reporting instructions the night before. Often the new instructions are to check back the next day. My dad was asking for help and found out that there was no need to report.

Selection is always random. A lot of times the reporting date doesn't necessarily match up with the need for a jury.

Also - I'm wondering what local policies are on being excused for jury duty based on having served in a jury. In my county, it's one year, but only if actually selected and sworn in as a juror. Having reported for jury duty doesn't form an excuse. The one federal jury summons I received, I had actually served on a jury in the past year, and that court had a one year excuse for anyone having served as a juror anywhere. I understand that the time differs depending on which federal court.

Yeah... it sucks. And to make matter worse, my current county doesn't do it for a week. Apparently they only seat juries on Wednesday so you're on the hook for six consecutive Wednesdays. If you're picked for a jury then you have to stay till the case is finished. Otherwise, you're off the hook till the next Wednesday. How do you plan for THAT? You basically can't plan anything firm for 6-8 weeks because you "might" be on a jury (although, as I said, I've never even had to report.) And for six consecutive weeks you're telling your boss "I might be here tomorrow, or I might not be. I might be back on Thursday or I might be out indefinitely. I'll let you know as soon as I know."

The last time I got called, my employer made me send in my summons letter because I think they thought I was trying to pull something over on them!
That stinks.

I am on the hook for one day or one trial.

I call in the night before and if asked to report and not picked for a jury that day, I am done.

If I am picked for a jury then I serve until the trial is over.

Their goal is to seat any juries needed for trials for that week by Tuesday end of day.

So if not asked to report Monday or Tuesday, odds are that you will not have to report at all that week.

If I have to report or get picked for a jury I get paid my normal salary plus I get to keep the $50 a day juror pay.

I got summoned recently for a state I haven’t lived in in almost 20 years. I got excused from that one.

I had Jury Duty a few weeks ago. Was in the Jury Box and was questioned. Passed the “for cause” screening. But then was kicked by the defense.

I was called a few times in my life, but always got excused. I am at the age now that I do not have to serve. I probably would never have been accepted because I believe that our trial system is highly flawed so no attorney would want me on a jury.

I was called a few times in my life, but always got excused. I am at the age now that I do not have to serve. I probably would never have been accepted because I believe that our trial system is highly flawed so no attorney would want me on a jury.
No age limit in California for Jury Duty. However, after age 70 you can claim a medical reason to be excused without providing a Doctor's note. However you still have to report and the Judge still has to decide if your medical issue is reason enough to excuse you.
Just checked my County's Jury Website, they will provide open captioning or a sign language interpreter for hearing impaired jurors, and a wheel chair and staff to help those with mobility issues. If they really want you on a Jury, I guess you're stuck.

No age limit in California for Jury Duty. However, after age 70 you can claim a medical reason to be excused without providing a Doctor's note. However you still have to report and the Judge still has to decide if your medical issue is reason enough to excuse you.

That must vary by county. My county you just check the 70+ box and mail it back in. No need to appear.

That must vary by county. My county you just check the 70+ box and mail it back in. No need to appear.
I have seen a lot of "sure fire" ways to get out Jury Duty get rejected by Judges. The only case where I was seated as a Jury, the Plaintiffs Attorney had worked with my MIL and was at my wedding. That was disclosed and he, both the Defense Attorneys and the Judge didn't kick me off the panel. And we had two Attorneys on our panel. Both worked for state agencies and did not deal with the courts. Funny thing is, when we were deliberating the case, they were the two holdouts because "they" did not agree with the Judge's instructions on what laws applied to the case. It was a Civil case.

I've been called three times, but only actually had to show up once (the other two, the call-in number told me I wasn't needed). I was in college and it was right before finals week. After a couple of other students asked to be dismissed, they told the entire group of us that anyone who was in school was excused. I would have liked to serve, but it was awful timing, so I'm glad we were excused.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter