Another ??? about airfare and losing $$$

Mom3girls

DIS Veteran
Long story.... We have a trip scheduled for August. My husbands contract at his company is up in August, so there's a potential of going on strike. If that is the case we will be cancelling trip all together.:sad1: I realize that since it is past the 45 day mark we will lose approx $200 to Disney unless we rebook for a later date.

I'm more worried about losing the $$ for the airfare. I think Southwest will give us a credit for our flights that will be good for one whole year. Am I right?? I think that is the only airline that does that...Am I right about that??

It would totally stink to lose $1000-$1500 in airfare just to get cheaper flights from say Spirit or Airtran.

WWYD???????

I think most airlines have some level of change protection/insurance you can buy. Maybe you could look into that before you book - you could potentially still get a cheaper flight and have a money-back guarantee.

Good luck to you and your hubby!

If we stood the possibility of losing $1000-$1500 on airfare we would still be going on that vacation -- strike or not, but that is just us.

I do believe that Southwest would give you a credit that you can use within one year of your original booking date, not within one year of your original travel date. Other airlines do change a cancellation fee but give you a credit for the remaining balance.

Another possibility - could you plan on driving? That way if you do cancel you don't have to worry about the air fare.

I am not typically an advocate for trip insurance on trips within the US, but in a situation like this I would suggest looking into trip insurance that includes "Cancel for Any Reason" protection (it's an add on to some policies). Also look into "Cancel for Work Reasons" coverage - I don't know if that typically covers strikes or not.

Insuremytrip.com is a good place to research different policies. Watch the percentage the insurance plans pay out for the Cancel for Any Reason coverage - some pay 50%, some pay 75%, some may pay other amounts. And should you decide to buy, be sure to read the complete policy to see all of the restrictions, etc.

Long story.... We have a trip scheduled for August. My husbands contract at his company is up in August, so there's a potential of going on strike. If that is the case we will be cancelling trip all together.:sad1: I realize that since it is past the 45 day mark we will lose approx $200 to Disney unless we rebook for a later date.

I'm more worried about losing the $$ for the airfare. I think Southwest will give us a credit for our flights that will be good for one whole year. Am I right?? I think that is the only airline that does that...Am I right about that??

It would totally stink to lose $1000-$1500 in airfare just to get cheaper flights from say Spirit or Airtran.

WWYD???????
All airlines sell refundable tickets. You will pay a lot more for them but you are guaranteed to get your money back if you have to cancel.

SWA will issue a credit for you if you cancel. They have changed their rules and the credits are no longer transferrable. The same people will have to use the credits that the original tickets were issued for.

If we stood the possibility of losing $1000-$1500 on airfare we would still be going on that vacation -- strike or not, but that is just us.

I do believe that Southwest would give you a credit that you can use within one year of your original booking date, not within one year of your original travel date. Other airlines do change a cancellation fee but give you a credit for the remaining balance.

Another possibility - could you plan on driving? That way if you do cancel you don't have to worry about the air fare.

We technically wouldn't lose the $1000-$1500. We would just put the trip off til later in the year.

Don't think we could possibly drive from NJ without going nuts before we get there. Besides with gas prices I'd never even consider that.

Southwest will give you a credit to use BUT it is a credit from the DAY OF PURCHASE, not the day of your flight, so be aware.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter