Another 3 weeks at Bonnet Creek-Live TR

Portugal1000

DIS Veteran
So I am a bit late starting this post as tonight is our 5th night at Bonnet Creek. We are staying from 11th August to 1st September. I'll go my best to catch up.

Day 1
We had used twilight check in at Gatwick on 10th as we only live 10 minutes away. We got to airport about 9 for the 11.15 flight and were relieved to see everything was on time. We went to gate as soon as gate number went up and were surprised to see flight already boarding. We were upstairs in economy. My husband had front row extra legroom and our 14 year old son and I had back row as son wasn't allowed front row. We thought the seats were great as we could recline and not upset anyone behind us. Great flight. Food so much better than last time we flew Virgin. Drinks seem to be offered constantly. Good selection of films but as I usually see two a week at cinema then nothing I hadn't seen.
Arrived at MCO early and that's where fun started. chaos in the immigration hall. Lots of flights arrived at same time. We were one of the first off the flight and we still waited over 90 minutes. It would have been a lot longer but we were selected to use the electronic scanners but then still had to go to a booth. I felt sorry for the people in front of us as they would have been another hour Atleast. There were hardly any booths open. Crazy. People did start to complain and I heard one guy pleading for his wife to be able to go to the front of the queue because she couldn't stand anymore. Not good. On the plus side our luggage was already there so were out of terminal quickly. Picked up the Sixt Car Rental shuttle. Was a bit worried but ended up being so much quicker than the other times I have got a car at the airport as no queues and they bring the car to you. Much easier getting onto 528 too so all good.
Checked into Wyndham Bonnet Creek by 6pm. Great room as always. Why do people stay anywhere else? We have a 2 bedroom deluxe. One king room with jacuzzi bath and walk in shower. Another bedroom with two doubles and another bathroom. Huge kitchen, living area, laundry. Everything you need.
Then headed to DTD (5 minutes away) to the lego shop, a bit of a tradition. DTD still a bit chaotic, so much building going on. Parked in multi-story for first time, easy. Then off to Lonestar for dinner, not as good as previous years but still nice. Although was so tired by this time I probably didn't appreciate it. So back to BC. Our son went straight to bed without even checking the I pad, he must have been tired! Also his 15th birthday the next day so wanted to be up early for presents.

Checked into WBC today, we are in Tower 4.
Not stopped raining since we arrived, we should have stayed in Key West over 90F every day and constant sunshine.

Checked into WBC today, we are in Tower 4.
Not stopped raining since we arrived, we should have stayed in Key West over 90F every day and constant sunshine.

We are in Tower 4 too. Our favourite location. Yes weather not great but it's been glorious in the mornings. Last two days it has rained non stop since about 5. More rain in 5 days than we have had in our entire last two trips. Last year was too hot so I don't mind Aslong as we have a few hours of sun everyday. Enjoy WBC. I'll say hello if I see you around.

Day 2
Our sons 15th birthday today so lots of presents then off to Toojays which is a great little Deli in Dr Phillips. We never go anywhere else for breakfast, great menu and great service. Then to Baskin Robins to buy our first ever ice cream birthday cake which was really good.
Back to DTD to spend birthday money in lego shop ( Big Bang Theory, scooby doo and the camper van). Then back to WBC for a long swim in one of the five pools. Weather was glorious, just right, not too hot. Went to Typhoon Lagoon around 5 and although it was still quite busy we didn't really have to queue for any rides and of course the waves were the main draw for our son. He loves them and we have to drag him out.
Had a lovely meal at Longhornes as always, were seated within two minutes despite being told 30 minute wait, think because there were only three of us.
So a great first day.

Day 3 -13th Aug
Another glorious morning so spent a lot of time by the pool and then an early lunch at steak and shake. We found this place last year and the burgers are really good. A meal is $4. Not the fanciest place but good service, great milk shakes. $22 for the three of us. Then back to WBC for the pop quiz. They have a really good resident singer here and we always go to the pool where he is performing. Alot of people always turn up for the quiz and it's a lot of fun. Unfortunately we didn't win!
In the evening we went over to I drive 360. Had free tickets for the three attractions and went into Madam Tussauds. Haven't been to the one in London for years. This was great as no queues and hardly anyone in there so took loads of photos. Still have tickets for the Eye and Sealife so will go back. The Eye is huge and not sure I will be brave enough to ride! The whole area is pretty nice and lots of restaurants. Free parking too.
Back to WBC for more swimming. The pools are nice at night too. They have entertainment usually at one pool, usually kids activities going on. All very pleasant.
Only problem is I am always so tired that I never quite manage to stay up late. This holiday meant to be more relaxing. We don't have tickets to main Disney parks for first time but have annual passes for water parks. So don't have too many days when we have to get up early.

We did immigration in Dublin again this time. By far the best way to do it.
When we arrived in JFK rather than rushing to immigration we had 2hr 30mins in the lounge. (our connection should have been 2hr 30 but turned out to be 3 hrs as we arrived 30 mins early)
The Immigration officer in Dublin was the friendliest we have ever had.

So I am a bit late starting this post as tonight is our 5th night at Bonnet Creek. We are staying from 11th August to 1st September. I'll go my best to catch up.

Day 1
We had used twilight check in at Gatwick on 10th as we only live 10 minutes away. We got to airport about 9 for the 11.15 flight and were relieved to see everything was on time. We went to gate as soon as gate number went up and were surprised to see flight already boarding. We were upstairs in economy. My husband had front row extra legroom and our 14 year old son and I had back row as son wasn't allowed front row. We thought the seats were great as we could recline and not upset anyone behind us. Great flight. Food so much better than last time we flew Virgin. Drinks seem to be offered constantly. Good selection of films but as I usually see two a week at cinema then nothing I hadn't seen.
Arrived at MCO early and that's where fun started. chaos in the immigration hall. Lots of flights arrived at same time. We were one of the first off the flight and we still waited over 90 minutes. It would have been a lot longer but we were selected to use the electronic scanners but then still had to go to a booth. I felt sorry for the people in front of us as they would have been another hour Atleast. There were hardly any booths open. Crazy. People did start to complain and I heard one guy pleading for his wife to be able to go to the front of the queue because she couldn't stand anymore. Not good. On the plus side our luggage was already there so were out of terminal quickly. Picked up the Sixt Car Rental shuttle. Was a bit worried but ended up being so much quicker than the other times I have got a car at the airport as no queues and they bring the car to you. Much easier getting onto 528 too so all good.
Checked into Wyndham Bonnet Creek by 6pm. Great room as always. Why do people stay anywhere else? We have a 2 bedroom deluxe. One king room with jacuzzi bath and walk in shower. Another bedroom with two doubles and another bathroom. Huge kitchen, living area, laundry. Everything you need.
Then headed to DTD (5 minutes away) to the lego shop, a bit of a tradition. DTD still a bit chaotic, so much building going on. Parked in multi-story for first time, easy. Then off to Lonestar for dinner, not as good as previous years but still nice. Although was so tired by this time I probably didn't appreciate it. So back to BC. Our son went straight to bed without even checking the I pad, he must have been tired! Also his 15th birthday the next day so wanted to be up early for presents.

Have to say as much as I want to stay at bonnet Creek, as a family of five disney adults,we like the ddp and as long as it's free,and our boys want to do character meals and we don't enjoy the signatures as much then it's better for us to stay onsite,
I don't enjoy eating in the off site restaurants as much as I used to do 3 monthly trips in the US until I was 16 . And I certainly don't want to cook on holiday.
If I could get the ddp I'd definitely stay here.
Now once they out price us and the boys are happy to eat qs meals more I'll be at there.

We never cook despite having the big kitchen. Well maybe a hotdog occasionally and we will probably use the BBQ Atleast once. You see some families bringing in huge amounts of good go I guess a lot of people do cook here. There are some lovely offsite places and some not do good ones.

Day 4
Into a nice routine now. Husband and I up early every day to swim in tower 4 pool, good one for lengths. Then when son gets up we goto main pool. Today we were there for 4 hours as our favourite singer was on again. Really nice just sitting and listening to him.
Today we planned on an afternoon at Universal. When we got there took the boat to Portifino Bay as staying there next week, so wanted to look round, looks lovely.
I had a $50 gift card for Bubba Gump so had a late lunch there. It was very good. Nice waitress who asked lots of Forrest Gump trivia questions. By the time we got into Universial Studios it was starting to rain so we went into beetle juice. Only ever did this once and it was ok, well ok to shelter from the rain! We ended up being stuck there longer than we wanted as the heavens really opened. Finally made a dash to HP and walked straight on single rider. No queue. It's a great ride. Normal wait only 30 minutes. Rain worse when we got off so were stranded, worst places you can be stranded! So off for frozen butter beer then back on single rider and were all sat together which was good.
Still a good atmosphere on ride, everyone cheering and clapping. Rain didn't let up so went to the train and walked straight on again. Probably my favourite ride in the park. Got off and straight back on again. No queues, must have been the rain. By this time it was around 7.30. The finally the rain was a little less so walked to MIB. Single Rider, no queue and were all sat together in front row. I would say 80% of time whenever we choose single rider that we end up together. Our son loves this ride and could go round and round but my limit is twice before I start to feel ill. Went on Disaster which was really funny and also Simpsons. Again no Queues. Beginning to think there was no need to spend £150 on a room for one night at PBH!
So a great time at Universal even if we were a little wet. It's actually nice walking round the park and not being baking hot.
Stopped off at Toojays o the way home just before they closed to buy some cheesecake and bagels. They have a great takeout menu.

Have to say as much as I want to stay at bonnet Creek, as a family of five disney adults,we like the ddp and as long as it's free,and our boys want to do character meals and we don't enjoy the signatures as much then it's better for us to stay onsite,
I don't enjoy eating in the off site restaurants as much as I used to do 3 monthly trips in the US until I was 16 . And I certainly don't want to cook on holiday.
If I could get the ddp I'd definitely stay here.
Now once they out price us and the boys are happy to eat qs meals more I'll be at there.

This year WBC cost us £1950 for 21 nights in a two bedroom. We priced up SSR and it was £8100 ( not including tickets but including free dining) obviously would have to pay extra for tickets. So we would have to spend £6150 on food at Disney to break even. Guess what I am saying is that we can eat at as many Disney restaurant as as we like and still be a lot better off at WBC. Its good actually as we get the best of both worlds as we can go to our favourite offsite and on site. We stayed three times at SSR and did love the free dining but that's when it was a lot cheaper. In fact it was a great deal back then. However, if it ca,e down to it I would stay at WBC every time. Just love it here. Not for everyone but definitely for us.

Day 3 -13th Aug
Another glorious morning so spent a lot of time by the pool and then an early lunch at steak and shake. We found this place last year and the burgers are really good. A meal is $4. Not the fanciest place but good service, great milk shakes. $22 for the three of us. Then back to WBC for the pop quiz. They have a really good resident singer here and we always go to the pool where he is performing. Alot of people always turn up for the quiz and it's a lot of fun. Unfortunately we didn't win!
In the evening we went over to I drive 360. Had free tickets for the three attractions and went into Madam Tussauds. Haven't been to the one in London for years. This was great as no queues and hardly anyone in there so took loads of photos. Still have tickets for the Eye and Sealife so will go back. The Eye is huge and not sure I will be brave enough to ride! The whole area is pretty nice and lots of restaurants. Free parking too.
Back to WBC for more swimming. The pools are nice at night too. They have entertainment usually at one pool, usually kids activities going on. All very pleasant.
Only problem is I am always so tired that I never quite manage to stay up late. This holiday meant to be more relaxing. We don't have tickets to main Disney parks for first time but have annual passes for water parks. So don't have too many days when we have to get up early.
We went on the eye last week and it was fab-just sit on the middle seat until you get your confidence up then you'll be fine-def worth it. Also enjoyed Tussauds and like you say no real ques so took our time

We went on the eye last week and it was fab-just sit on the middle seat until you get your confidence up then you'll be fine-def worth it. Also enjoyed Tussauds and like you say no real ques so took our time
I wish I could have a couple of hlasses of wine beforehand but my husband doesn't drive so I can never drink when we go out. I very rarely drink do after two glasses I really wouldn't care!! I think I might be ok Aslong as it's dark.

Day 5 - A very lazy rainy day
Another morning at the pool which was nice.
Went for lunch at sweet tomatoes which was good. Still excellent value but my husband did declare that he would rather go to Toojays in future for lunch as about the same price. I think he was suffering from carb overload as he ate about 10 slices of garlic bread and regretted it. I was sad to see the chocolate muffins weren't on offer but if that's the worse thing to happen on this holiday then I can live with it. Finally got to Target to pick up a few treats for the room. Cheesecake Factory 12 piece selection, Ghiradelli caramel chocolates, beer ( not for me) you get the idea!
We then planned to go Blizzard Beach and were really looking forward to it but OMG the heavens opened and lightening so that was the end of that which was a real shame. So the two of us went to the 6pm trivia quiz which was fun especially as we managed to win. Was particularly pleased as questions were definitely aimed at an American audience. Nice little prize, 5 draft beers or soft drinks at the bar.
The rain didn't let off so back to room where son and I watched Point Break, one of his birthday DVDs. We are a big film fans and I am happy that he is starting to watch all the old stuff. I heard him tell his friend the other day that his favourite film is The Godfather!
Anyway built some of the lego camper van, well I sorted the pieces and then another great sleep. I wish I could sleep like this at home. As soon as my head hits the pillow I'm out.
So not a typical Orlando day for us but just nice to be here. Definitely more relaxed this year without the main Disney Parks.

Day 3 -13th Aug
Another glorious morning so spent a lot of time by the pool and then an early lunch at steak and shake. We found this place last year and the burgers are really good. A meal is $4. Not the fanciest place but good service, great milk shakes. $22 for the three of us.
Went to Steak & Shake tonight after reading your post.
No idea if we ordered at the til or we had a server. No staff around so we sat down and got ourselves some menus. After waiting over 10 mins we saw someone being served so we called her over and asked what the system was. She said you will get a server, really offhand. Karen saw red so she shouted someone over and told them we had been there over 10 mins with no service, she went over to someone who replied "its my break" after a few mins a lovely lady came over, apologised and took our order.
All the time we were there people were complaining at the til, storming out annoyed, and staff moaning.
On the plus side the food was very good, $15 for 3 of us, gave the server $5 tip as she was so nice.
We will try it again sometime and give it a second chance.

Thank goodness you liked the food as I would have felt bad for recommending. Just goes to show what a difference good staff make. We have been very lucky there but only ever gone during lunchtime when lots of staff around. Definitely great value. They have lots of coupons online which you probably saw.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter