Annual passes for 2021 Better or Worse?

FortheLoveofDisneyMagic

Earning My Ears
We do not live in Florida but are planning to go to WDW at least 3 times in 2021/2022. Do you think an annual pass is the way to go or with our "new normal" there will be some great deals to get through packages?

APs have been pummeled with the current reopening plans. As long as the reservation system is no longer in place, you'll be fine. Currently we can only make 3 park day reservations at a time and have very limited availability for the next 2 months. We have several week long trips planned in the next year, including a week in July and one at Thanksgiving, but will only get 3 park days on the first trip and likely the same in Nov. I would gladly pay twice as much for week-long tickets so we could actually visit the parks.

I was in your position in 2019. My wife and I bought AP's in late 2018. We went four times in 2019 (work and other plans prevented us from going a fifth time). It's a day's drive for us so we flew twice and drove twice. One of the trips was for the Dreams Unlimited Travel 20th Anniversary at the Contemporary. One other was a spur of the moment trip to see July 4 fireworks. The July trip was a "sun & fun room" only offer which, I think, was better than the existing AP rate.

We found the cost worth it. That was before the AP price increase though. You asked "will be some great deals to get through packages." That's impossible to say. if you have an AP, it normally doesn't pay to book a "package" to use the term of art. We found some good room only discounts and took full advantage of the discounts on special events (Disney After Hours, Desert parties, and even some of our meals (e.g., Biergarten) had AP discounts)

Except for the Dreams 20th, we were able to find some very good AP discounts on room only rates. We stayed twice at Pop and once at AoA. As I said, four nights in July preferred view at Pop was $670 but that wasn't AP.

A week in March at AoA was a little more than $800. We had booked five nights standard view in the Tower at Coronado Springs for the second week of December 2019 for $259 a night (I was most upset, at the time, to have to cancel that).

We had booked 4 nights in January at Pop on a "Gift of Magic" room only rate but after purchasing AP's we converted that stay to AP rates and saved $45 on the room and taxes. The group rate at the Contemporary was a good bit better than any special or AP rate I could find.

It was worth it for us but I'm glad we didn't renew them. We wanted to do other trips and the additional cost of an AP put it beyond what we could justify in late 2019. That's not to say we won't get an AP in the future.

To make the APs worth while, we decided to make several trips to WDW in 2019 (instead of going somewhere else in the area). We booked events and ate in Disney restaurants to take advantage of the AP rates, and used the AP to get discounts on merchandise whenever possible. At the same time, knowing we could return meant that we didn't have to endure the heat of the day to feel we got our money's worth. We often went to the parks shortly before sundown and stayed until closing.

As much as I hated to cancel the December 2019 trip, by September, I found myself suffering from a mild case of "Disney again?" fatigue (brought on largely by the heat during our trips in July and August).

You should do the math. It happened to work out for us in 2019. That's not to say it will for you in 2020/21.

Our March 2020 trip was cancelled with my AP expiring on April 12. Even with the extension, it wouldn’t cover our November 2020 or March 2021 trips. I went ahead and got a new AP (not renewal) and am glad I did. I have been able to book park admission for the entire Nov and March trips. I am waiting to book an October 50th anniversary trip as soon as I can using my AP for the parks. We are not that concerned with the parks as much as eating at our favorite restaurants!! For, that we will still have to wait to book.

We renewed ours. Our plan is to visit around Christmas and then over spring break (Easter). We have park reservations for both visits.

I think it remains to be seen. _I_ am having a hard time seeing the value in an AP if park reservations have to be set months in advance and don't include hopping. My current AP is good thru March 2021.....

In a post-pandemic world, with the cost of a Platinum out of state AP around $1200 now my calculations say you will need to spend at least 14-15 days in the parks. The discounts are good and with that many nights at Disney, Tables in Wonderland should save you money as well. As mentioned, we purchase room only discounted stays, never package.

If restrictions continue into your scheduled visits then I would say no to the AP.

We (family of 4 Disney adults) priced out AP for 2/3 trips per year and didn't see the value back before the big price hike and so after the big jump in AP cost prior to SWGE, it was an even bigger no. The only gray area was if only one of us got the AP for the discounts, but the cost difference in still having to purchase tix for the rest of the family so the "savings" just weren't there. I think when I priced it all out, and I did a ton of calculations and even used some sample calculations, we hit breakeven after trip 5. Do keep in mind length of your trips and where you would stay. We do 4/5 day max trips and we almost always stay on site, we drive to Orlando, never fly. Those are factors to consider. Also, all the changes with COVID-19, I would definitely not buy an AP if WDW is still using the park pass system much into 2021. That really defeats the whole purpose of an annual pass.

We do not live in Florida but are planning to go to WDW at least 3 times in 2021/2022. Do you think an annual pass is the way to go or with our "new normal" there will be some great deals to get through packages?
You'll lose a lot of the value of a platinum AP (no hopping, shorter hours, no water parks, reservations required) due to Covid restrictions, which aren't going anywhere in the foreseeable future.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter