• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Annual Pass

Dano1182

DIS Veteran
We always travel to WDW for Eater this year and next Easter will occur in the same 365 priod.
I am thinking of buying annual passes.
The catch is we go to the parks less and less
so when does the DVC discount make it worth while?
Has any one had experience getting good discounts on rooms during this period.
Does it make any sense to buy one ann pass to use for discounts and just pay for the parkdays as we go?
Whatr advice do you have in this area?

I would not advise buying an AP just for discount. They are not guaranteed, and there are many times AP room discounts are not available.

If, over a one year period, you will have 9 or more park days it usually makes sense to gat an AP.

I think 8 days is the break even point. We always use APs, even if we are only traveling the way you are. Of course, we tend to go to the parks EVERY day, so it makes lots of sense for us.

I think 8 days is the break even point. We always use APs, even if we are only traveling the way you are. Of course, we tend to go to the parks EVERY day, so it makes lots of sense for us.
I think 8 days used to be the break-even point, but with the new Magic Your Way passes a 10-day expiring hopper is only $14 more than a 4-day expiring hopper.

First, let's compare a DVC AP with a 10-day non-expiry pass:
A Regular DVC AP is $355.
A 10-Day non-expiring PH with no pluses is $435.
AP wins.

Next, let's divide the cost if the AP by two to compare the cost of each trip:
$355/2 = $177
A 2-Day expiring PH with no pluses is $188.
AP wins.

The DVC discount makes the AP very attractive! I agree that the OP should not count on room-only discounts, especially that time of year. But in this case, the ticket savings alone is worth it. I think the OP should buy the AP!

BTW: Here are the other benefits/discounts available for AP holders:
http://www.allearsnet.com/pl/apass.htm#2007

I particularly like the Disney Dining Experience card. It saves us 20% off of table service restaurants, including alcohol. We broke even after one meal for 4 people at V&A's.

We try to plan 2 vacations 11 months apart every time we purchase APs. This way we maximize the value. We used the current passes for 15 days in Dec, and plan another 15 this coming october. In addition, we purchase the DDE Card and make use of it the same way.

The next trip after that will be Dec 2008 and we'll do the same thing so that each set of APs and DDE will net us 2 vacations. :thumbsup2

The discounts we get from the APs are just a bonus.

We try to plan 2 vacations 11 months apart every time we purchase APs. This way we maximize the value. We used the current passes for 15 days in Dec, and plan another 15 this coming october. In addition, we purchase the DDE Card and make use of it the same way.

The next trip after that will be Dec 2008 and we'll do the same thing so that each set of APs and DDE will net us 2 vacations. :thumbsup2

The discounts we get from the APs are just a bonus.

That was our tactic for 8 years! Now with the DVC discounted APs, we tend to not wait as long though, so we are getting new APs just 6 months after they expire. Either way, it's a saving.

Dano, even if you don't spend as much time in the parks these days, APs are a wonderful way to go. You can pop in a park for a couple of hours in the morning when it's not busy and leave without guilt by lunch. Or just go into Epcot at night for dinner and Illuminations. Visit the MK on your first evening even if you only have time for Casey's and Wishes.

BTW AP rooms discounts are usually not offered the two weeks around Easter and the week between Christmas and NY.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter