Annual pass question and help

dolphinsfan203

Earning My Ears
So my annual pass is set to expire. We are planning on not renewing since we've planned some other vacations to the carribbean so we won't be able to get from PA down as much as last year. However we know we'd like to take 1 trip atleast down during the summer. Am I able to book a pass holder discounted room even if my pass will be expired at the time of travel.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

I only tried this once and the room would not book so I am assuming the system was tracking the AP's expiration date.

In short, you need an AP to book the AP rate.

It has always been the case that you had to have an AP to book online with AP rate, but it also used to be possible to book an AP rate via phone before actually buying, but then you had to show the AP at check-in/within24hours of arriving or else your booking would revert to full rack rate. I don't know if WDW still makes that allowance, because it is now easy to buy an AP online.

One thing you may want to consider is buying just ONE AP to get the room and other discounts. The lead guest - the person who books the hotel has to have an AP, but the rest of your family can have regular park tickets. Only the AP holder gets the extra perks, but if you stay together that's no big deal as long as AP holder buys everything.

Also, it might make sense to let current AP expire, then buy an all new AP for your trip. It would cost full price, but then your new AP would extend a full year from first use, and be worthwhile if you plan to visit about once a year, AND can manage to book a 2nd trip just before that AP expires.

Get the Disney visa credit card. That offers a similar level of savings in resort stays with no annual fee.

And summer is a good time to go with the 4x4 park passes for $400

I don’t know for sure, but I believe to receive any benefits from the annual pass, it must be valid at the time of receipt of such benefits. However, I find it pointless and a waste of money to renew the AP if you are only going to visit Disney World only one time for the that entire year, especially since you can buy multi day tickets for much cheaper than the AP. You may be able find other discounts (Sometimes you can get a big discount if you are a Disney+ subscriber and the subscription can still be used anywhere). The Annual Pass is well worth it if you live not too far from Disney (within a two hour drive or less) or if you are a digital nomad, or retired (such as full time RVer who works remotely or retired) or a snowbird staying the winter near Disney World who goes to Disney World several times a year. I have seen times where Disney+ subscribers can get as much as 25% off the nightly room rates at certain hotels on the Disney property.

However, if you have a friend or family member traveling who has an annual pass, you may be able to get a discount on the room, however, the reservation must be in the passholder’s name and on the passholder’s credit card and the passholder needs to be present to present their pass, driver’s license, and credit card to check in. I am a Disney+ subscriber and I would use my subscription to get a discount if it is offered at the time I visit Disney World to rent an RV site at Fort Wilderness and take my motorhome (with my truck in flat tow) and enjoy watching Disney movies on Disney+ in my motorhome when I turn in tor the night. In fact, there are times where Disney+ subscribers could get a free dining plan as well (huge money saver) if they book a four night non discounted stay with the Walt Disney Travel Company at select Disney hotels and with purchase of theme park tickets.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter