• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Annual pass photopass downloads vs memory maker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paigevon

Starchild~☆
I'm a bit confused, and the CM I spoke with didn't really clarify. We're planning to upgrade to annual passes when we're there, but I was considering upgrading just one of us (me) to gold so that it includes the photopass. She said the photopass will require me to be with the party for their pictures to be included, but with memory maker even if we're apart they will be included... is that the only difference? Since we will be together pretty much always (DD is 5) is there any benefit to getting the MM? It's about the same price difference from adding the MM for one trip and having a gold instead of silver annual pass.

I'm a bit confused, and the CM I spoke with didn't really clarify. We're planning to upgrade to annual passes when we're there, but I was considering upgrading just one of us (me) to gold so that it includes the photopass. She said the photopass will require me to be with the party for their pictures to be included, but with memory maker even if we're apart they will be included... is that the only difference? Since we will be together pretty much always (DD is 5) is there any benefit to getting the MM? It's about the same price difference from adding the MM for one trip and having a gold instead of silver annual pass.
You don't all have to be together. You just all have to be linked as Friends and Family on MDE and all choose the option "can view and edit photos" or something like that. Then anyone in your friends and family can scan their band or go on a ride and the picture will show in your account. You however are the only one who can download all the photos.

You don't all have to be together. You just all have to be linked as Friends and Family on MDE and all choose the option "can view and edit photos" or something like that. Then anyone in your friends and family can scan their band or go on a ride and the picture will show in your account. You however are the only one who can download all the photos.
For the Memory Maker, Photopass, or both?

Whoever has the upgraded/new AP, they are the only one who can download photos. However, as long as everyone is linked to that persons family and friends list, the upgraded AP holder can download everyone's pictures. You get everyone's ride photos and videos as long as you're all linked together. Therefore, you don't even need to be in the same park or even Orlando to be able to get your family and friends photos.

So just upgrade one person to the new AP instead of buying memory maker

Whoever has the upgraded/new AP, they are the only one who can download photos. However, as long as everyone is linked to that persons family and friends list, the upgraded AP holder can download everyone's pictures. You get everyone's ride photos and videos as long as you're all linked together. Therefore, you don't even need to be in the same park or even Orlando to be able to get your family and friends photos.

So just upgrade one person to the new AP instead of buying memory maker
When I asked the CM about doing this, she made it sound like there was some fundamental difference that made MM better than PP as I described. So this isn't so? I already bought the MM as part of a package, so should I have it removed (still owe some toward the package) and then just upgrade to AP when we arrive? Will we get access to having our photos saved and accessible that day?

When I asked the CM about doing this, she made it sound like there was some fundamental difference that made MM better than PP as I described. So this isn't so? I already bought the MM as part of a package, so should I have it removed (still owe some toward the package) and then just upgrade to AP when we arrive? Will we get access to having our photos saved and accessible that day?

Last November I upgraded to AP and it is exactly the same as MM except your pictures stay for a year after taken which is a nice benefit. So instead of being worse than MM it is actually better. No issues getting people's photos when I wasn't on the ride.

Last November I upgraded to AP and it is exactly the same as MM except your pictures stay for a year after taken which is a nice benefit. So instead of being worse than MM it is actually better. No issues getting people's photos when I wasn't on the ride.
Geez, okay it definitely sounds like I need to drop the MM!

Sorry to repeat the same questions, just want to be absolutely sure...

If I have a gold pass, my husband and daughter have silver passes, then even if they say rode a ride without me, it would still show up for me to download, because they're listed under my friends and family under MyDisneyExperience site?

My MIL and FIL are also listed under MDE, but are purchasing fl resident tickets. If I have a gold pass and they only have tickets, but are under my MDE family list, will I get to download pictures they may have had taken by themselves? Does this apply only if we're at the park with them, or if they were there completely without us, could I still download their photos?

Thanks!

Geez, okay it definitely sounds like I need to drop the MM!

Sorry to repeat the same questions, just want to be absolutely sure...

1. If I have a gold pass, my husband and daughter have silver passes, then even if they say rode a ride without me, it would still show up for me to download, because they're listed under my friends and family under MyDisneyExperience site?

2. My MIL and FIL are also listed under MDE, but are purchasing fl resident tickets. If I have a gold pass and they only have tickets, but are under my MDE family list, will I get to download pictures they may have had taken by themselves?

3. Does this apply only if we're at the park with them,

4. or if they were there completely without us, could I still download their photos?

Thanks!

1. Yes.

2. Yes.

3. No.

4. Yes.

I was told that friends and family will not be available for annual pass download. And I think that's right. My parents went with us but don't have annual passes. I just looked and for Mine Train there are only two copies of the photo even though three people were riding (my kids with AP and a grandparent w/o AP). The pic I would have expected for my "family and friend" didn't show up in the Photopass account at all. Similarly, my son rode Space Mountain with Grandpa's magic band for FP+ and his own band in his pocket. Only one copy of the picture showed up, presumably from the band in his pocket.

Bottom line: I would have all photos scanned on the AP band. And if the AP person isn't riding Mine Train, still have the AP's band in your pocket.

I was told that friends and family will not be available for annual pass download. And I think that's right. My parents went with us but don't have annual passes. I just looked and for Mine Train there are only two copies of the photo even though three people were riding (my kids with AP and a grandparent w/o AP). The pic I would have expected for my "family and friend" didn't show up in the Photopass account at all. Similarly, my son rode Space Mountain with Grandpa's magic band for FP+ and his own band in his pocket. Only one copy of the picture showed up, presumably from the band in his pocket.

Bottom line: I would have all photos scanned on the AP band. And if the AP person isn't riding Mine Train, still have the AP's band in your pocket.
Ah, that conflicts with siskaren.. I was hoping only to get the AP with photopass for myself..

I don't have any situations where my "friends and family" tried to get pictures without us at all, because I had asked here about AP Photopass before going (I had been concerned because I didn't see a Memory Maker entitlement in my account and here on the board folks explained that I didn't actually have MM and hence wouldn't have an entitlement). So, I didn't take any chances. My anecdote isn't 100% evidence, but it certainly makes me believe that advice was correct and makes me happy I didn't take chances.

Now if you have a spare Magic Band connected to the AP holder in MDE (maybe from a previous visit) then you can give that Magic Band to the other members of the party. All MBs from the AP holder will point back to the AP so you could have two bands floating around in the park at the same time and the AP could "be" in two parts of the park for photos.

As for your in-laws, they can get a card for the posed photos and you can enter the # into your account instead of theirs. But for ride photos I think they'd still need a MB attached to the gold AP.

To be fair, this isn't clearly stated anywhere at all. So I could be totally paranoid and siskaren is right. I'm just glad I didn't take chances.

The Photopass help does seem to indicate that you can download Family & Friends stuff, but I'm wondering if the distinction is in the ride photos. It says something about the AP Guest will be able to download content shared by the Family and Friends (for some reason I can't copy the text to paste here, but read the section about "Terms and Conditions for Disney PhotoPass Benefit for Select Annual Passes).

https://mydisneyphotopass.disney.go.com/help-and-support/policies#1

So, the policy implies you can get friends and family, but my experience suggests not. Your guess is as good as mine.

I have no problem downloading photos and ride photos of my DD who is still in WDW doing the DCP while I, the AP holder, am home in Massachusetts. Everyone has to go into their Friends and Family list and make sure you check off "Jane can view and purchase your Photopass Photos". The AP holder has to do this and the family member has to do this on their account as well, giving the AP holder permission to view and purchase photos. Once we got everyone to give access, we got all the pictures.

Fantastic! No need for MM then. :)

Now just need to figure out how to upgrade Florida resident tickets to AP prior to our pre-park opening breakfast ADR so I'll have the photopass perk....

Fantastic! No need for MM then. :)

Now just need to figure out how to upgrade Florida resident tickets to AP prior to our pre-park opening breakfast ADR so I'll have the photopass perk....

You can do it at Disney Springs the day before if you're in town. If not, then just do it at the park your going to before your ADR. CM's will be there and able to do it

Was their pictures showing up in each individual persons MDE's? If so then there might be an issue where their connected to your friends and family. Double check and make sure everything's checked that all you guys are fully linked. If you still are all good to go, then if that happens again go see the CM's in the park and have them look up your ride photos.

As long as everyone's fully linked, everyone will receive each other's photos whether everyone's together or not. Only the AP will be able to download, everyone else will have watermarks, but everyone linked will receive all the photos

As long as they are linked in MDE with the annual pass holder you should get the ride photos (we scanned our magic bands for the rides to be safe). We had no issues with this.

Was their pictures showing up in each individual persons MDE's? If so then there might be an issue where their connected to your friends and family. Double check and make sure everything's checked that all you guys are fully linked. If you still are all good to go, then if that happens again go see the CM's in the park and have them look up your ride photos.

As long as everyone's fully linked, everyone will receive each other's photos whether everyone's together or not. Only the AP will be able to download, everyone else will have watermarks, but everyone linked will receive all the photos

I have no idea if the photos were in their MDE. Interesting question and an angle I didn't consider. We're done with this trip and because I was very cautious I have everything. But I should take a look now to prepare for the next shared trip we take.

In my MDE it does say "can view and purchase your PhotoPass photos" for my family members. I'll have to look in their account to see if there's the same message for us.

Sounds like it's actually working for people, so I'd trust that way more than just what's written in the FAQs (you know Disney's website reliability, or lack thereof). Since the FAQs and real experience match, it seems I must have some additional/different issue. Wish me luck in figuring it out before the next trip.

The holder of the AP with photopass benefits does not have to be there
DD has the upgraded AP, DH and I have the older ones
DH and I went on a trip with DD and all our photos, including our ride photos
She was 800 miles away

I think the FAQ are right in how Disney intended it to work. It just doesn't work that way

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter