Annual pass better than hopper pass for Feb2003/Jan2004 trips?

If you are doing two trips in 12 months, definitely go with the Annual Pass. It isn't that much more expensive than the 7 day park hopper. You may also get a good discount on your room, as well as discounts on other things. We bought APs one year and I have three sisters who have done the same. I would order them through the Disney Store here as it saves you a bit of money.:D

We did this for our last two trips, in Jan and Dec 2001. Our next trip down is going to be on the cruise in September (plus we're staying on-site at USF for a couple of days) but for our next stay at WDW we'll likely do the same thing again if we can arrange 2 trips within 12 months. Be aware there are pros and cons on both sides.

Pros to the Hopper Pass:

1) Cheaper than the annual pass. The breakeven point for the AP is eight days, for the PAP is 10. If you think you'll total fewer days than that in the WDW parks over your two trips, get the Hopper.

2) Not tied to WDW attractions (AKA golden handcuffs :) ) If you are in the Orlando area to do other things: USF, KSFC, Daytona, Tampa, it will feel like a waste of money if you've paid for APs while you're at these other attractions. It's not as bad as the feeling you get with the UPH, but it's there nonetheless. Trust me, I know. ;)

3) Plus features. If you anticipate spending a number of days in the water parks, those are included with the Hopper plusses (a 7-day HP gives you 4 plus admissions). If you buy the AP, you'll need to shell out for the water parks separately or get the premium AP. The difference in cost between the regular AP and PAP is substantial - $100 or so.

Pros to the AP:

1) Room discounts. Not available at every time of year, but if you're going in January and February there should be some discounts available.

2) Freedom to come and go as you please. To me, this is the greatest feature of the APs. When we were down in January 2001, all four of us contracted the most virulent stomach flu I've ever encountered. (Sequentially, of course, not simultaneously.) After our son had recovered (and before I got sick) we went to MGM late in the day to meet the rest of the clan. We rode the Great Movie Ride, and he'd had enough - we headed back to the room. With a Hopper pass, that would have been one park day spent for one ride; with the AP it was no big deal - we could always go back again. And again.

3) Free parking. Not a big deal if you're staying onsite, but the US$6/day adds up pretty quickly if you're offsite.

I'm sure others can come up with other pros as well. As I said earlier, I would get the regular APs again - for us it was the better value.

- Mike

Mike Thank you for such great info! You have listed it so well! Elaine

Good Sunday Morning,

We always use annual passes. If you have younger children it is great. We either go to the parks early in the morning for four or five hours or later in the day. It keeps everyone happy and you don't feel like you've wasted a day at the park. We usually go for two weeks when we go and we hit a park almost everyday. It's great to be able to go to MGM and see Fantasmic when you're not exhausted from being at the parks all day.

When we bought our latest AP's last January they were only $20.00 CDN more than the 7-day hopper deal. (buy one and get one for half price) If you are going in January I'd check to see if the price is going to go up in October (when it traditionally happens) and buy them then. You can buy them here at the Disney Store and can get a Disney Club discount. They give you a voucher which you don't activate until you get there in January. I like buying them early because then the cost of your trip is split up. We bought ours in January and didn't go until May. With the bills coming in now I'm glad I didn't have the extra $1500 as well.

What you save with some of the AP rates that you can get in January and February will more than make up for the extra money you spend on AP's. Annual Passes also give you discounts on food, special lounges at the parks, and if your trip is timed right you can go to Passholder events.

Lots of pros here.. because I love my Annual Pass.

Have a great day!

AP's. Annual Passes also give you discounts on food, special lounges at the parks,

Can you elaborate on this? We're thinking of going the annual pass route as well (and I didn't know about the free parking - that's great for us!).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter