• between 200K and 250K

Votes: 34 11.4%
  • more than 250K

Votes: 22 7.4%

• Total voters

DizBelle

DIS Veteran
It's anonymous so 'fess up.

Somewhere on the internet (DH found it) it says that an income of 34k to 102k is considered "middle class".

How many of us are middle class.

I'm just curious.

I kinda have to make what I do because I have all book smarts and little common, besides fiscal, sense. I literally had to hire someone to replace an expensive light fixture in my house when I screwed in a lightbulb wrong and then broke it and shorted out the light fixture. I figure the universe knows I'm not that gifted with a lot of things so gives me resources to handle them.

The majority of people on this board who go to Disney on a regular basis are more than likely making more than the average for their area.

Middle class income #'s also depend on where you live. We live in what is consistently the wealthiest county in the US and the median household income is $125,000 as of 2016. But, then, you can't find a single family home under $400,000 in most of the county unless it's old and small. So, everything is relative. DH and I are in our 50's so our income is quite a bit higher than the median since age makes a difference too.

I assume this is the article (I read it today too): https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/heres-much-earn-considered-middle-174020565.html

The ranges do vary depending on the number of people in the household. I would assume the wide range is to try to account for the vast regional and local differences in cost of living.

I read that article earlier and really disagree with the low ends of their ranges. A two-person household making $34,000 isn't what I would consider "middle class", unless you live somewhere with a VERY low COL.

I live in a low COL area. I owe less on my mortgage than I earn in a year and I bought my house about 3.5 years ago. That makes me feel financially secure even though I could make more money in the private sector than the government job I currently have and love.

People and their finances always intrigue me. I tend to look at what other people buy and say, what were they thinking, but then I have relatives who look at what we have spent over the years at WDW and likely are saying the same thing. A long time ago, we made it a priority to have little or no debt, and that allows for a greater amount of disposable income. So though our income level may be average, we keep more of it to spend.

$34,000 - $102,000? If that's split between two earners it seems like there's a lot of people working pretty hard for fairly meagre wages and at the low end would be closer to just barely scraping by than being middle-class. Could a single person even house, feed and clothe themselves on that kind of pre-tax money, let alone a family? :confused:

The majority of people on this board who go to Disney on a regular basis are more than likely making more than the average for their area.

Middle class income #'s also depend on where you live. We live in what is consistently the wealthiest county in the US and the median household income is $125,000 as of 2016. But, then, you can't find a single family home under $400,000 in most of the county unless it's old and small. So, everything is relative. DH and I are in our 50's so our income is quite a bit higher than the median since age makes a difference too.
Where you live certainly makes a HUGE difference. However, according to the U.S. Census the median price of a BRAND NEW home in 2016 ranged from $291,000 to $323,000, so $400,000 probably is still an upper income home for most U.S. residents. https://www.census.gov/construction/nrs/pdf/uspricemon.pdf
I love watching shows like Love It or List it. So often they are looking at folks in $700,000 homes looking to move up to $850,000 homes, but the past few days they have been running shows from North Carolina where the existing home is worth $230,000 to $260,000 and the people have a budget of around $325,000 for the new home and old David is finding brand new 2500 square foot homes with granite counter tops and high end finishes for under $350,000.

By objective, government standards, I am dirt poor. My income is right in line with the average income in this county, which is one of the poorest counties in Missouri (and that's saying something). HOWEVER, I live in a very nice, if modest, house. My needs are met. I have satellite TV, a World of Warcraft account, high-speed internet access, a fridge full of food...

Being on the low end of the spectrum just means my WDW trips are fewer and further between.

I read that article earlier and really disagree with the low ends of their ranges. A two-person household making $34,000 isn't what I would consider "middle class", unless you live somewhere with a VERY low COL.

I agree, I thought that low end was pretty low for 'middle class' as well.

I can't imagine surviving on $34k a year for a single person, let along a family. My kids are all in their mid twenties and they are all well over that and two are double or more. We and they also live in a very average cost of living area.

I do have quite a few people who work for me who only make around $35k and I know they do struggle.

I wish there were a way to do an anonymous how much do you make AND what occupation do you have poll. I'm very curious about that, especially on the high end people. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter