• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Annual dues to rise dramatically?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MouseOfCards

Finally jumped in . . .
Interesting article:

https://*******.com/dvc-annual-dues-going-rise-dramatically/
Are DVC Annual Dues going to rise dramatically?

Main info/points:

- Property taxes are a large portion of annual dues

- In the past, differences in opinion over assessed valuation have been resolved through negotiations. The prior Orange County Appraiser, Bill Donegan, favored negotiated settlements.

- Rick Singh, the current appraiser, said that the real issue here isn’t how high he values them now, but how low they were assessed before he took office. Of prior appraisers, he said "This office has been functioning in a level of what I consider to be unconscious incompetence." His new method includes using hotel income.

- Walt Disney Parks and Resorts are suing over their property tax assessments from 2016, calling them “excessive.” Disney filed nearly a dozen lawsuits at the end of last month in Orange Circuit Court.

- Singh vowed to fight them in court at the time, saying, “We hold their feet to the fire.”

- The annual dues for Disney's newest resort, Disney’s Copper Creek Villas & Cabins, have the highest taxes per point of all the other resorts.

Will this result in significantly higher annual dues? Thoughts?

Last edited:
Rick Singh has been in office since 2012 and DVC taxes have been increasing steadily over most of that time. The rising costs are nothing new.

Outcome of the suit is going to determine what happens going forward. Singh is applying new methodology to the valuations and believes it is justified. Disney and others disagree and want the old methodology restored. That's why we have courts.

Unconscious incompetence refers to the stages of expertise:

https://examinedexistence.com/the-four-states-of-competence-explained/

It's the least experienced. "You don't know that you don't know what you're doing."

It's a high insult and almost certainly untrue.

His predecessor had a different philosophy for dealing with the county's largest taxpayer. Just because his prior office holder had a different philosophy didn't make him incompetent.

In fact, antagonizing your largest taxpayers into deep pocketed legal action is probably going to ultimately prove to be the more incompetent move.

Property taxes are going up everywhere it seems. One thing is for sure, if a DVC resort goes up, owners will pay.

I find it interesting that Disney is suing RCID a Disney run board.

:earsboy: Bill

I've been involved in local political fights and the reason why you don't pick a fight with your largest taxpayer (employer, tourism generator, sales tax creator, etc.) is that Disney is big enough to donate to enough political campaigns to fight this battle at the state level.

What's this hot shot assessor gonna do after he forces Disney's hand and finds himself hogtied by a new state law that either limits his ability to tax theme parks or shunts more of WDW's tax liabilty to RCID and much less to Orange County?

The assessor said his predecessor was incompetent. His predecessor didn't pick a fight that can be fought far above his head and out of his control.

The Courts aren't the only tool in Disney's tool belt.

Last edited:
Interesting article:

https://*******.com/dvc-annual-dues-going-rise-dramatically/
Are DVC Annual Dues going to rise dramatically?

Main info/points:

- Property taxes are a large portion of annual dues

- In the past, differences in opinion over assessed valuation have been resolved through negotiations. The prior Orange County Appraiser, Bill Donegan, favored negotiated settlements.

- Rick Singh, the current appraiser, said that the real issue here isn’t how high he values them now, but how low they were assessed before he took office. Of prior appraisers, he said "This office has been functioning in a level of what I consider to be unconscious incompetence." His new method includes using hotel income.

- Walt Disney Parks and Resorts are suing over their property tax assessments from 2016, calling them “excessive.” Disney filed nearly a dozen lawsuits at the end of last month in Orange Circuit Court.

- Singh vowed to fight them in court at the time, saying, “We hold their feet to the fire.”

- The annual dues for Disney's newest resort, Disney’s Copper Creek Villas & Cabins, have the highest taxes per point of all the other resorts.

Will this result in significantly higher annual dues? Thoughts?
My thoughts:

Who wrote the article me and why? What is that author’s dog in this fight…

Businesses sue counties daily it is how you get what you want. It is actually the whole reason we have courts to keep the other to branches of government in check.

If my taxes go up I’ll pay the bill if not 🤷‍♂️

This thread is 5 Years old. Rick Singh is no longer the Orange County assessor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter