Animal sightings at The Fort....

On a happier note, here are a few pics of some of the creatures from the Fort I've seen.

100_0274.jpg

Water fowl on the 300 loop canal.

100_0454.jpg
Bay Lake bird looking for dinner

100_0286.jpg
Babies taking a drink in the 300 loop canal. Mama was just behine watching carefully.

I have seen deer on all of my trips since last May- on the dirt path from the Lodge to the Fort, and on the paved exercise trail (four deer that time- momma, a small buck, and two babies). In late June we saw two deer near the meadow swimming pool, and in December we encountered a mother deer and a baby near the 2000 loop and cabins, at 3 AM (couldn't sleep!).

I've also seen armadillos, bunnies, and ducks on just about every visit since we've been going. On the more rare occasions, we have seen the eagle mentioned before, also with a fresh catch. Of course we had to be in a Sea Raycer at the time and I didn't have my camera with me, but it was a shocking and amazing sight all its own. There is also an otter that lives near the dock that I've seen twice- he is an elusive little guy!

I only saw an alligator once, while a family was fishing at sunset near the dam. It was swimming about ten feet from one of the fishermen (who didn't seem phased at all), and he mentioned he thought it had been fed before and was looking for a handout. While looking for videos of the Fort on youtube, I saw a video of a guy feeding a gator there doritos, so I guess he was looking for a handout. A nacho cheesy one. popcorn::

While looking for videos of the Fort on youtube, I saw a video of a guy feeding a gator there doritos, so I guess he was looking for a handout.

:scared1: That just sounds like a really BAAAAAAAAD idea.

We stayed on 300 last month and frequently saw deer on the other side of the canal. We also saw them many times at dusk on the main road leading out to the from (near the hitch/unhitch area)

We had armadillos around our site the whole time we were there. They would come and dig holes around the Cyprus knees. My New Hampshire dogs had NO idea what to make of those! :lmao:

In Feb 2007 in the 1600 loop, a six foot long Black Snake crawled alongside my campsite. It even had on Mickey Mouse ears. ;)

How does Disney do that? :rotfl2:

Best Regards!

They hand them out to all the wildlife when they punch-in for work in the a.m. :lmao:

Holy thread revival, this thing is almost a year and a half old. For a second, I was like woah, where did this thread come from.

Glad to see some of the newer animal pics!

I've seen some really nice turkey at the fort. Maybe I'll get Tungpo to paint my cart camo and use it for a blind. Sure would save me some money going to my hunt camp in GA. The deer between WL and FW are so tame they don't move when you ride by on bikes.

Just an afterthought, I wonder if Disney would give BigKahuna a permit so he too can get a deer too.

I've seen some really nice turkey at the fort. Maybe I'll get Tungpo to paint my cart camo and use it for a blind. Sure would save me some money going to my hunt camp in GA. The deer between WL and FW are so tame they don't move when you ride by on bikes.

A whole new meaning to Disney Dining. :lmao:

We were at the fort in the beginning of December and also saw a gator at the dog walk behind loop 800...We were very surprised to say the least!:scared1: We didn't know weather to report it or not? We also say 3 turtles and a deer the same day! Shoudls we have reported it to someone?:confused3 Kept thinking that it might be hungry and go after a small dog or child?:eek:

We were at the fort in the beginning of December and also saw a gator at the dog walk behind loop 800...We were very surprised to say the least!:scared1: We didn't know weather to report it or not? We also say 3 turtles and a deer the same day! Shoudls we have reported it to someone?:confused3 Kept thinking that it might be hungry and go after a small dog or child?:eek:

In the middle of December we were in site 707 which is where the dog walk goes from the 700 loop over the old railroad bed and along the canal behind the 800 loop. The canal ends there and our site was about 50 ft from that end, if my wife had known there were gators in there, she did mentioned it a few times, she would have gone and looked for them and then not slept a wink.:eek: :scared1: :scared1: :scared1: :scared1: :scared1:

Hi Everyone !

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this ... if so please guide me in that direction.

I was at Disney recently and took the kids for a night out at the Fort and simple fell in love with place.

We decided that our next stay would be here at the Cabins during Sept 09

Call me Crazy and make fun of me if you want ... But all this talk about Gators and Snakes is scaring me to death.

We are from Canada and are used to seeing Rabbits and squirrels and deer which are harmless if left alone.

But considering the humidity in Sept, is it possible to find Snakes in the cabins or a Gator roaming around.

I'm thinking of relocating to another resort, this has really scared me.

Please tell me I'm just over reacting or maybe post your expierences !

Thanks in advance to all !

I've never seen a dangerous animal at the Fort, unless you count the killer peacocks! Even they've been gone for years.

cardiff_castle_peacock_3.jpg

andialyn, no need to worry we have stayed in the cabins 3 times never even seen a snake or gator. We have stayed at the campground part countless times never seen a snake and only once saw a small gator at the very end of the canal and were there to walk the dog otherwise would have never even seen it. As far as coming inside, never heard any reports of that. I assure you you and your family will be safe and have a great time at the cabins.

Some postings on this topic may have been exaggerated in fun and the pix you see are definitely NOT all from The Fort.

Hi Everyone !

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this ... if so please guide me in that direction.

I was at Disney recently and took the kids for a night out at the Fort and simple fell in love with place.

Call me Crazy and make fun of me if you want ... But all this talk about Gators and Snakes is scaring me to death.

We are from Canada and are used to seeing Rabbits and squirrels and deer which are harmless if left alone.

But considering the humidity in Sept, is it possible to find Snakes in the cabins or a Gator roaming around.

Disney goes out of their way to make sure guests are safe. Unless you go wading in one of the canals or tromping through some of the deep woods, you will be just fine. You would have to go out of your way to find a snake or gator.

Here's some of the WILDlife you will find at the Fort....

DSC_0023.jpg

These guys love bread

DSC_0026-1.jpg

He/she came walking up right after the duck

Don't worry, come to the Fort and just enjoy yourself.

I'll throw in my two cents. andialyn , as with any wildlife, just use common sense. I'm a FL native and I don't think twice about seeing gators. In fact, if there is a body of water bigger than a puddle you can be guaranteed there is a gator in it! We hike in our state park quite a bit and there are gators EVERYWHERE and nothing to keep them from approaching you. I have had to even wait while they crossed the road in front of me. I have never had a problem. Now what IS dangerous are the aforementioned posts by BradyBz12 of people feeding gators. Not only is it ILLEGAL but you are handing a gator a death sentence in doing so. The wildlife service with DESTROY it because as someone else said, once they lose their fear, then they become dangerous. With that said, gators stay next to the water and don't "roam" unless it is the rainy season. Then you will find the smaller ones looking for a home. Just keep yourself, your kids, and your dogs away from the waters edge. You have nothing to worry about. As for the snakes, again, just use your common sense. Don't approach them. Unless you leave your cabin door wide open 24hrs a day I don't think you will find one in your cabin. They are more afraid of you and will generally keep their distance if you keep yours. We have had a bobcat that has our property as part of his territory (we live in the woods). He has sat at the edge of the woods and watched us many times. We have never had a problem in the six years we have lived here. He stays on his side I stay on mine.....like good neighbors.:rotfl: You'll be fine!

BradyBz12, I dont blame you for wanting to reel your dog out of the canal! I saw a very sad plaque on a tree at our local state park of a beautiful yellow lab. "in memory of", he had been eaten by a gator while swimming in the river. :sad: That would be the same river where we saw these (that were no more then fifteen feet away from us and baby was down at my feet).

myakkastatepark001.jpg

myakkastatepark002.jpg

myakkastatepark004.jpg

These were just under a bridge we were on:

myakkastatepark014.jpg

myakkastatepark015.jpg

These were taken at Myakka State park (two hour drive from Disney).:)

With that said, I'll get off my soap box now.

Has anyone ever seen any wild boars at FW? I think those and black bears are the only things left people haven't mentioned. :scratchin :upsidedow

Hi Everyone !

I'd go to the one in California. no gators there.

I'd go to the one in California. no gators there.

:rotfl2:
INDIALYN...you are DEFINATELY over reacting...there couldnt be a safer place to camp. They are about all thats left of the wildlife...dont be afraid. Look it up on the web...I'm willing to bet you wont find a single incident of a gator attack at the fort, And the cabins are RAISED off of the ground, so a snake actually entering one is VERY UNLIKELY! Relax, you'll be fine and have nothing to worry about.:)

or go to the one in Paris, none there either.

Hi! Me again

You guys are really nice reassuring me, I am just freaked out over these animals... I must watch too much TV.:happytv:

I just figure with all the humidity the snakes are looking for a cool place ... and to me a cabin with AC seems like the ideal place. OK I did read the Contemporary Incident and i don't know How I'd react other than be petrified.

And I just wanted to know if any animal incidents have happened to people at the Fort.

I also realize alot of it is in Good humour ... so no need to worry there.

I just guess that being in Canada and not a customed to these animals they seem scary and dangerous.

I also realize that Disney would not take any chances and that if something were dangerous they would take of it .... But my fear is saying WHAT IF they missed it.?

Thanks for all your responses ... it is appreciated!
[/SIZE]

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter