Animal Kingdom!

Patsydust

Disney Addict
So I have a WDW trip coming up in January! I have never been to Animal Kingdom, but this time we're making it happen! Does anyone have any advice? A "must do"? Or something worth the splurge of cash? Thanks!!

DINOSAUR.
You must do Dinosaur. It is one of the most underrated attractions in all of Disney World.

It's one of the few attractions that still scares me. Scares me in the sense that the ride is extremely dark and loud and I feel like I'm in a dangerous place. It creates the illusion you are in this huge massive space, when you're probably in a very tiny area.

It's essentially a car on a track of sorts, if you wanted to know what kind of ride it is.

I agree with prior posters: Festival of the Lion King, Dinosaur, Expedition Everest, Mahararaja Jungle Trek, Pangani Forest Trail, and Kilmanjaro Safari are not to be missed. I also agree that if you want a Table Service try Yak and Yeti or Tusker House....if you want quick service I like Flame Tree BBQ; however, I am hearing good things about the Hamrabe Market place that recently opened.

Kilimanjaro Safari, Expedition Everest & Primeval Whirl. If you are looking for a quick service lunch or dinner, I would choose "Flame Tree BBQ".

if you have kids under 10, I be careful of both Dinosaur and Tough to be a Bug. Festival of the Lion King show is our favourite show on property. Tusker House is our favourite character meal!

Do the Panagani Forest trail and watch the gorillas, more entertaining than some of the shows ;-) The Maharajah Trek is good for seeing the tigers too.

Of course you have to do Kilamanjaro Safari and Expedition Everest as well as watch Lion King, Flights of Wonder is better than you expect it to be too. If you have kids Dinosaur and Tough to be a Bug may be scary, but I've read good things about the Wilderness Explorers badge quests too.

Remember there isn't a lot of indoor attractions so it is a hot day (should be OK in January though), but Lion King and Nemo shows are air-conditioned.

Basically you will fill a whole day no matter what!

So I have a WDW trip coming up in January! I have never been to Animal Kingdom, but this time we're making it happen! Does anyone have any advice? A "must do"? Or something worth the splurge of cash? Thanks!!
Kilimanjaro Safari, Expedition Everest, Dinosaur are the rides.
Flights of Wonder, Lion King, and Nemo are three excellent, and very different shows.
It's Tough to be a Bug is the best 3D movie at Disney.

If by spending money you mean guided tours and such? You can walk a bridge over live crocodiles……

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/animal-kingdom/wild-africa-trek/

There is a nighttime version as well.

If it is your first time to AK, I wouldn't look to do any tours or anything. You are better off just enjoying and exploring the park on your own, unless you plan on spending more than a day there.

With that said, we always make it a point to hop a train over to the Rafiki's Planet Watch, home of the Conservation Station, an air conditioned building that usually has a M&G or 2 and if your timing is good you might get to see them do a procedure on an animal from the animal hospital while they explain what they are doing and why and the Affection Section which is a little petting zoo.

Also, either on your way in to the park or just before you leave, spend some time walking through The Oasis.

If it is your first time to AK, I wouldn't look to do any tours or anything. You are better off just enjoying and exploring the park on your own, unless you plan on spending more than a day there.

With that said, we always make it a point to hop a train over to the Rafiki's Planet Watch, home of the Conservation Station, an air conditioned building that usually has a M&G or 2 and if your timing is good you might get to see them do a procedure on an animal from the animal hospital while they explain what they are doing and why and the Affection Section which is a little petting zoo.

Also, either on your way in to the park or just before you leave, spend some time walking through The Oasis.

Thanks so much! I've got plenty of time, but just so excited I want to lay everything out!! :yay:

Btw condolences on your lack of a ticker! But a hilarious and unfortunate replacement!

Thanks so much everyone!!!!! Wow! So many great posts!! And it looks like there are consistent favorites!!!! Can't wait to get to AK!!! I'm also glad to see its some peoples favorite park! I never hear much about it, but now I'm uber excited!!! :love::tongue::yay::thanks:

We enjoy most of animal kingdom but that afternoon sun can be killer there (and the animals are a little less active). This is the only park that we rope drop so we can hide from the noon sun.

It's my favorite park, too! And Expedition Everest is my favorite ride in WDW! I recommend riding Kilimanjaro Safari earlier in the day as a lot of the animals are more active. Same with the trails. As the day gets hotter, the animals laze about more. We've done a couple of tours that have happened right before or after rope drop and I've been so surprised at how active the animals have been compared to later in the day. Though in January, maybe this won't be a problem and you'll have active animals all day!

I also second Flights of Wonder. Fun show!

Kilimanjaro safari. We rode this twice in a day, once first thing and once in the afternoon. The ride is great and worth doing twice.
Meet Safari Mickey and Minnie! Early morning the wait was so short. It was a great meet and greet! Very funny interaction.
Flights of Wonder was better than I expected.
Foodwise, there is a place across from the Yak & Yeti counter. It has a blue sign. Something-something Tea Company. You must get the frozen mango slush. SO SO good! I was thrilled to see a Joffrey's counter on the way out of the park (outside the entrance) that also had the frozen mango drink. Yay! Frozen mango for the trip back. Yum.
The Yak & Yeti counter is also very good for lunch. Delicious.

I would suggest that you list out all of the attractions, shows, rides, meet-and-greet options, etc., available at DAK and then plan your attack -- do not wait until you get there and try to wing it (even if you have your three FP reservations in advance). Last summer, we decided we were going to make a full day of AK for the first time, and we ended up running out of time. The handful of shows at AK occur several times each day, but they occur at very specific times, so you may want to figure out what show times you want to attend and then plan the rest of your day around those.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter