Animal Kingdom Villas through RCI- any options?

1153rsmith

DIS Veteran
Hey everyone,

We are staying at Animal Kingdom Villas for the first time in May 2010 and booked the exchange through RCI. I'm assuming it will be a standard room.. don't know for sure, the reservation at RCI doesn't say. Does anyone have experience with upgrading an RCI reservation to a Savanah view or Club level?

Just wondering what I might could do differently. Also, any idea on price for upgrade?

Thanks,

Randy

You should post your question on the DVC boards -- lots more people there that know about RCI exchanges and DVC.

I traded through RCI for a 2br villa at AKV. The reservation says "2BDRSTD" - so it's a standard room. I called Disney's DVC number to see if we could pay to upgrade to a Club level and she said the villas are at Kidani and there is no club level, so no, we could not upgrade (she was really nice, just unable to help). She also said we couldn't upgrade to a Savannah room - we "might" get lucky at check in, but I'm not holding my breath on that. We go in 17 days. I'm really just excited we were able to do the exchange, so I'm not as concerned with the room view (although it would have been nice to upgrade).

I traded through RCI for a 2br villa at AKV. The reservation says "2BDRSTD" - so it's a standard room. I called Disney's DVC number to see if we could pay to upgrade to a Club level and she said the villas are at Kidani and there is no club level, so no, we could not upgrade (she was really nice, just unable to help). She also said we couldn't upgrade to a Savannah room - we "might" get lucky at check in, but I'm not holding my breath on that. We go in 17 days. I'm really just excited we were able to do the exchange, so I'm not as concerned with the room view (although it would have been nice to upgrade).

I'll be honest, I'm just like you. I'm just tickled to be able to exchange. When DVC properties started showing up in RCI last year, I about flipped. We exchanged in to OKW this past September and had a blast. During that trip, we stayed at OKW and a timeshare off property. I VERY MUCH prefer being on Disney Property. Their customer service just can't be beat.

Let us know what you end up with.
:cool1:

Chances of getting an "upgrade" to savannah view are slim. Why would the bump you up for free when they can charge DVC members a premium for a savannah view or rent it out for cash? Animal Kingdom Villa is quite popular with DVC members. I've currently got a savannah view villa in Jambo booked. I've been on the waiting list for a villa in Kidani for months.

For RCI, you get the same points status as DVC members. So the savanna view room requires more points than the standard room. The value room requires the least and is smaller than the other categories. The concierge rooms require the most points, but there are only five two bedroom lockoffs and they go very quickly at 11 months out to the members.

No upgrades on DVC unless the villa category and location you reserved is unavailable (could be because of maintenance issues) and there are no other in the category to give you.

For RCI, you get the same points status as DVC members. So the savanna view room requires more points than the standard room. The value room requires the least and is smaller than the other categories. The concierge rooms require the most points, but there are only five two bedroom lockoffs and they go very quickly at 11 months out to the members.

No upgrades on DVC unless the villa category and location you reserved is unavailable (could be because of maintenance issues) and there are no other in the category to give you.

I figured the points would be different, but so far when I have booked online at RCI, the only points differences I've noticed were either time of year or room size. I haven't seen anything yet about location/views, etc. It may be because they are only offering one type room when I've looked.

Either way, I can't wait to get there.

Wondering if those of you that were able to use RCI points at WDW own your original time share in Orlando? Someone told me on these boards you could only use your RCI points at WDW if you didn't own a timeshare originating in Orlando. My sis has a bunch of RCI point she is going to loose (and I am dying to use them:lmao:) but her original timeshare is in Orlando. Hope this makes sense.

The original timeshare I swapped is in Myrtle Beach. I think there is some rule that if you own in Kissimmee or that area, you can't trade for Disney. We don't have points, we use weeks, but I think it's the same rule for both.

I'll definitely let you know what view we get. The CM said it could either be pool or parking lot, but she also said Kidani doesn't really have a parking lot "view" so I have no idea what we'll see. We'll just wander around to the common areas to see the animals. In a way, that's probably best - my 3 yr old would never sleep if he could see the animals from his room! :laughing:

Wondering if those of you that were able to use RCI points at WDW own your original time share in Orlando? Someone told me on these boards you could only use your RCI points at WDW if you didn't own a timeshare originating in Orlando. My sis has a bunch of RCI point she is going to loose (and I am dying to use them:lmao:) but her original timeshare is in Orlando. Hope this makes sense.

My timeshare is in Tennessee, so it is not an issue, but I think I have read somewhere that you can't exchange if your timeshare is in the Orlando Area. Right now, I can't confirm that, but your sis could probably confirm by contacting RCI.

I would sure hate to lose points. Them points is money. :eek:

That true about owning a timeshare located in Orlando. Can't trade into WDW.

The original timeshare I swapped is in Myrtle Beach. I think there is some rule that if you own in Kissimmee or that area, you can't trade for Disney. We don't have points, we use weeks, but I think it's the same rule for both.

I'll definitely let you know what view we get. The CM said it could either be pool or parking lot, but she also said Kidani doesn't really have a parking lot "view" so I have no idea what we'll see. We'll just wander around to the common areas to see the animals. In a way, that's probably best - my 3 yr old would never sleep if he could see the animals from his room! :laughing:

My timeshare is in Tennessee, so it is not an issue, but I think I have read somewhere that you can't exchange if your timeshare is in the Orlando Area. Right now, I can't confirm that, but your sis could probably confirm by contacting RCI.

I would sure hate to lose points. Them points is money. :eek:

That true about owning a timeshare located in Orlando. Can't trade into WDW.

:sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::thanks:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter