• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Animal Kingdom Lodge food

bentopher

DIS Veteran
Some background...
Trip is May 15-22
The first 4 nights we have dining plan (staying at POP), and the last 3 nights we don`t because of the split stay (staying at CBR).

I`ve heard that when you eat at AKL that you can also go outside to view the animals, or perhaps you can see outside from the restaurant. I guess I`m not really sure which.

I already have the ADRs that we want to do for the first part of our first. The second part of the trip will mainly be QS meals just to help keep the cost down. However, Im wondering about AKL. I wanted to check out the resort and thought it would be nice if we could see animals too. I was thinking about just eating a breakfast or lunch at Mara (instead of Boma or Sanaa).

Any info or input would be great so I can figure things out on my end :)

Thanks bunches! :thumbsup2

You don't need to eat at AKL to see the animals! The resort is really great, worth the time to visit. By all means, feel free to have a meal there. The Mara is a nice QS, and then visit the animals and all AKL has to offer all visitors.

Ok great! Thanks :) And Yes, you`re right, we don`t have to eat there! LOL I guess I wasn`t sure if you could only see the animals if you were in the restaurant. I don`t generally go and check out other resorts, but I thought this one is unique and offers a different experience for my boys while we are on vacation. Yes, I know they can see animals at AK but in my head I just thought it might be something different we can do towards the end of our trip. We are there 7 nights and 8 full days. And shopping is sooo NOT their thing. LOL Unless it`s to the Lego store. hahahaha

Absolutely! The Mara has lots of yummy choices - then you can spend as much time as you want checking out the resort - there are many animal viewing areas (one of the best it right outside the back of the lobby) - there is also a flamingo area near the pool and some nice viewing areas there as well. The lobby is amazing and they have a great gift shop worth checking out. Have fun! :goodvibes

Sanaa, over at AKL-Kidani Village, is the restaurant from which you can see animals from inside. It's a 1TS restaurant, and is open for lunch and dinner. They do some excellent food over there, and the bread service is especially good. It's a restaurant where the location and the food are both great.

You cannot see the animals while eating at Mara, nor can you at Boma (I know you said you weren't going to eat there, but thought you might want to know). Mara and Boma are both at AKL Jambo house, the main lodge. The view from Mara is the pool area if I recall correctly (maybe just sidewalks/foliage??), so there really aren't any animals to be seen while eating.You can see the animals at the restaurant Sanaa which is over at Kidani Village.

If you do go to AKL to eat at Mara, there are several viewing locations to see the animals before/after you eat though. Although AK is a wonderful experience for animal lovers, you can get even closer to many of the animals at AKL (to us anyway). There are guides from South Africa at each of the viewing locations that can give you information about the animals. It really is a great experience!

The only AKL restaurant where you can see the animals while you eat is Sanaa over at Kidani, but it would have to be during daylight hours and at a table where you can see them.

Mara, Boma and Jiko are at Jambo and face away from the main animal viewing areas, but there are walkways and overlooks where anyone visiting/staying at AKL can see the animals so you can go before or after dining. There are CMs who have a lot of information about the animals that you can talk to while you're outside.

Oh goodie! This sounds exciting. I will definitely factor it in!
Thanks for the input everyone!!

While on the topic, any other hotels that are REALLY worth seeing with 2 boys that are 5 and 6 years old? We stayed at ASSports last time and doing a split this time between POP and CBR (we will walk over and check out AoA).

I would check out WL. Love the geyser and you can go back to Ft Wilderness and see the petting zoo and horses.

Jill in CO

I think this resort is great just to visit. There are plenty of places you can go outside of the lobby to view the animals all having comfortable rocking chairs. My favorite restaurant is Sanaa. If you decide to go here make sure to try the bread with accompiaments! If you wanted to go for breakfast I have heard that Boma has a wonderful breakfast buffet and I have tried breakfast at the Mara and it is delicious. But I would definatley suggest going to visit here. It is a very unique and fun place!

We always make a trip out to Kidani and have the bread service at Sanaa lodge(along with a nice South African wine)then spend time wandering the resort.

I would choose Sanaa for lunch over the Mara. The food is fantastic and it's really not much more than eating CS. I think $12 for a table service where you can sit and watch the animals roam is a great deal. But you definitely don't have to eat at AKL to enjoy all it has to offer.

But if you did want to get something to eat at Animal Kingdom Lodge, we thought the Mara pizza was pretty darn good. Boys ages 5 and 6 probably like a good pizza and it would be a nice break. There's also a pond near the Mara that encourages throwing change into it and the proceeds go to the Wildlife Foundation so you might want to make sure you have some pennies with you for that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter