• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

And Nanny Came Too! Day 14 - Typhoon Lagoon

zummerzet66

Are we there yet?!
Friday 18th April 2008

The Cast:

Me (Matt) 42, though young at heart!
DW (Claire) 41, and ditto
DS11 (Samuel), already a teenager!
DS9 (Tommy), daredevil coaster rider!

We've decided today that we're doing a water park, as the holiday is just about over and the only swimming we've done is in the pool at the villa. We've also got an ADR later at 'Ohana, which we only managed to get because Disney announced some extended opening times at some of their restaurants (it was fully booked when we first tried). We've read LOADS on here about 'Ohana, and are really looking forward to it. We also plan to do some more shopping.

Before ANY of that, we have another ADR. I am so glad to be going back to Boma, as it is easily my favourite of all the breakfasts we've had out here. Kona was very good, and Perkins has been the best of the "off-sites", but Boma is special, and again it does not disappoint. Our server is Dave, and we also bump into a lady DW works with who has been staying at AKL and is flying home today (this is not a surprise like bumping into our neighbours was - DW knew that her work colleague was here). The food is as good as last week, and we leave suitably stuffed.

We still have time to kill before Typhoon Lagoon opens, so we decide to give Lake Buena Vista Outlets a try. DW finds some Gap jeans she likes, and I buy a pair of Fossil sunglasses. Eventually it's time to head off to the water park. We arrive to an already quite full car park, and a rather large queue of people at the entrance. Once we're in, it seems that we must have misunderstood the opening times, because the place is already packed, and the queues for Gangplank Falls, Crush 'n' Gusher etc are all over an hour already, so we decide to just chill out in the water. Chill is the operative word, here, because although the weather is nice, and the water is a lovely temperature, out of the water feels somewhat nippy. We stick it for an hour or so, then decide that we've had enough, and that maybe a water park was not such a good idea. Never mind, we've still got 'Ohana to look forward to.....

As this is is still some time away, we decide to kill time over at Downtown Disney, as we all find just strolling around the shops here almost as enjoyable as the parks. DS9 buys himself a wallet, and "us three men" persuade DW to buy a beautiful pearl necklace. The pearl is one from an oyster that she has picked out herself, and the CM makes it up into a necklace using a white gold mount of DW's choosing. The boys decide that the pearl needs to have a name, and so "Fred" is born!

As it's now 3pm, and our ADR is at 4pm, we decide to head over to the Poly. As with WL and AKL before, we are bowled over by the place, and our opinion is further enhanced by our time spend relaxing at the bar with a cocktail. DW has a Pina Colava, and I have a Lava Smoothie (hey, I'm driving!). This is certainly shaping up to be an impressive meal.....

And then it all goes wrong.

Firstly, we are called forward to our table. We are seated in the smaller area, around the back from the fire pits, so we ask our server if there is any chance of being moved into the main room (it isn't full). He completely ignores us. Oh well, perhaps he didn't hear, so we take our seats and decide we'll enjoy it anyway. As we sit down, we realise that, just off to one side of our table, and completely filling DW's field of vision, are two huge stacks of plastic crates full of bar glasses, waiting to be unloaded onto shelves in the bar area. The entertainment is all off in the main room, but we still try to make the most of things, and go through to join in.

Florida2008112.jpg

The kids do at least enjoy the food.

Florida2008110.jpg

Florida2008111.jpg

It's very tasty, but it seems awfully rushed,and we're pretty much told that it's time to move onto our dessert whether we wanted to or not. We ask the server if we can speak to the manager, and a guy comes to see what's up. He is as dismissive as our server has been, though he grudgingly gives us 20% off of our bill. It comes to $80.06, and I do something I have never done in America before, and hope never to do so again. I leave exactly the right money, with no tip, and we leave feeling very deflated. I know that an awful lot of people on here love 'Ohana, and I am quite sure that, with a different server and a table in the main room, we would have had a FAR better experience, but today is a total let-down.

We go over to Disney Quest, and take our frustrations out on the Pirates of the Carribean simulator and some rollercoasters that we designed ourselves. We also go on the Alladin "ride", with kind of virtual reality helmets to wear, but this is a little too surreal for my liking! As it's just along the way, we nip into the Virgin Megastore for some last-minute cheap CDs before it's time to head back to the villa and make sure we're all packed ready for DTD check-in in the morning :cry:

Sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience of Ohana's especially when you had been looking forward to it so much. :(

I've heard nothing but good things about Ohana's so was very surprised to read your report. Maybe they were having an off day but it shouldn't have been allowed to spoil your visit. Such a shame.

Love Boma to. We were lucky enough to stay at AKL for Xmas and New Year 06 and chose Boma for our meal on Xmas day. It made for an alternative Christmas dinner:thumbsup2.

That's bad news about 'Ohana, Matt.

I have to say that I think 'Ohana was much better a few years ago, it seems to have gone downhill a little.
At least you enjoyed Boma again.

Kev

Such a shame that you didn't enjoy Ohana's. I've only heard good things about this place however I think you are probably right...if you were in the main room with another server then you may have had a better experience.

What a shame about O'Hana's. We love it there, but we've only had breakfast before

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter