And just like that, we have become "cruisers"

Because I don't compare to other cruise lines but to the cost of hotel plus food of other Disney vacations.
This last one was $2400 for 4 of us in an inside room on the Wonder 4-day (much less than booking just 4 nights in a DLR hotel) and I plan to keep an eye out for special offers for any future bookings.
Also, other than MDR complaints from a few here, which opinions generally aren't shared, DCL isn't suffering from the issues many other cruise lines are. I'm hearing a lot of grief over raised service costs with decreased service, and more nickel and diming for the same or worse product overall on those other lines. When we sailed 3 months ago our experience didn't seem cut back at all.

We're going on Norwegian for the first time in May and since we booked I've discovered from another board that they have stopped evening room service, raised the service fees, taken certain liquor brands off of the basic package list, started charging an extra fee for higher end food options, etc. I'm still looking forward to going, but I've really noticed a difference between what is included on DCL vs NCL with all of the changes.

We're going on Norwegian for the first time in May and since we booked I've discovered from another board that they have stopped evening room service, raised the service fees, taken certain liquor brands off of the basic package list, started charging an extra fee for higher end food options, etc. I'm still looking forward to going, but I've really noticed a difference between what is included on DCL vs NCL with all of the changes.
We too are sailing NCL in May to Alaska. Even with all of these new changes, we still saved over $4000 sailing NCL vs DCL to Alaska. Even if certain liquors were taken off of the regular drink pkg, DCL has NO drink package. You are saving right there. Watch, other cruise lines will follow.

We're going on NCL for the first time in April. The specialty dining to me is just gimmick to pay extra for food when there's plenty of included options on board. That's one place where DCL delivers: you never are left with the feeling that your fare didn't include a full experience. We aren't much for booze anyway, the only difference is I don't have to plan on lugging my bottles of wine onboard. The night service does bother me though, since we'll be 4 in the room. I'm not trying to bang my head on the pulldowns but we'll see. I'll report back after and let y'all know how it compares overall.

Tried RC Oasis in 2019 when kids were 13 and 19. Kept comparing RC boat to Disney and thought Disney was better.

I just want to reference if anyone is ever going to "compare" you need to put in the same amount of money to the other cruise line trip or even close to the same amount.

On Royal if you book a Balcony and Disney a Verandah the Disney room will be slightly larger but with all the extra money you can get things like a drink package (or Starbucks), unlimited Dining, and other little things.

At this stage in my life, I have no problem paying more for quality. I have worked my back side off and earned the right to pay more. Disney Delivers.

Then I suggest if you want to stay on a mainstream line take a look at:
NCL Haven
MSC Yacht Club
Celebrity Retreat

These offerings will provide both quality and exclusivity you can't find on a Disney ship partly because Disney ships are immaculate but old designs.

As an example we just got off NCL Haven on the Epic 2ish weeks ago with an itinerary of Aruba, Curacao, Bonaire, St Lucia, St Kitts. Had a 2br (for 4 was around $7500) and were just 2 doors down from the Haven exclusive pool area, just down the hall was an exclusive Haven dining room (Lobster every night, real filet mignon or prime rib, and Ahi Tuna that is just seared as an app, ect), plus right around the corner from a Haven exclusive outdoor bar/grill to sit out with drinks, or possibly you want to hit the private gym/sauna/steam room?

The thing is when you start talking about wanting quality and willing to pay more for Disney you can't compare skimping by on other lines in balcony room because at that point you are saving a bunch on another line. Nothing wrong with pocketing the savings but then its not comparable to Disney. Although I guess flip Disney can't be compared to the examples I gave above.

The specialty dining to me is just gimmick to pay extra for food when there's plenty of included options on board. That's one place where DCL delivers: you never are left with the feeling that your fare didn't include a full experience.

Well Disney includes it by charging a ton more.

Here is the reality though the food typically in specialty dining on other lines is going to be superior to whats included on Disney. There is nothing wrong with Disney MDR food but when you order a steak its that very generic steak. When you go to something like Chops on Royal and order a steak you are ordering a very specific type of cut its going be like a real steakhouse essentially.

Another example you hit up an actual sushi place on other lines. With Disney you essentially have an Ahi Tuna Tower with chopped tuna as really the only option all week on your cruise.

But how do you deal with the elephant in the room, Disney cruises cost more than some of the other major cruise lines.

It all depends on what you want out of your cruise/vacation. We've looked at other cruise lines but when we compare what we expect to have (food quality/variety, shows, service, room size/amenities, no smoking inside, design, activities, atmosphere, etc.) inevitably we come up with 1-3 cruise lines we'd be happy to try out but they aren't any less expensive because of what we expect to have. I could cruise for less money but that's ultimately not going to get me the experience I want.

If you don't care about anything specifically but just want to be on a cruise ship for the least amount of money, then price is a major factor in the final decision. If you start with the experience you want, price is still a factor, but a lower cost cruise isn't necessarily going to be what you want. If I spent less money but didn't get the experience I wanted, I'd feel like I wasted that money.

Here is the reality though the food typically in specialty dining on other lines is going to be superior to whats included on Disney. There is nothing wrong with Disney MDR food but when you order a steak its that very generic steak. When you go to something like Chops on Royal and order a steak you are ordering a very specific type of cut its going be like a real steakhouse essentially.

Another example you hit up an actual sushi place on other lines. With Disney you essentially have an Ahi Tuna Tower with chopped tuna as really the only option all week on your cruise.
Yes the specialty dining may have nice choices but I don't want to have to pay to have a "nicer" meal. A fairer comparison might be Palo to the upcharge restaurants on the other lines. I've never felt the need to book Palo. The MDR on Disney is elegant enough for my casual self, and I never felt like I missed some part of the cruising experience by not booking Palo. And yes DCL may have higher upfront costs or even total costs, but for a first time cruiser who may not know all the ins and outs it's more of a total package than the other lines (for the experience I'm looking for and love). I hate the feeling of being asked for more $ when I've already spent a significant amount in the first place. For an informed or experienced cruiser you can add it to your overall budget, but not everyone is going to have the luxury of happily paying for unexpected costs. For me it's not about the actual dollars, but the feeling of value I'm left with afterwards.

…Will they actually leave the upper berth down all day? I don’t need my room cleaned /tidied twice a day, but I like the spaciousness having the top bunk put away.
On CCL they left it down. It definitely added another reason why that line is just not for us.

Quite honestly, I think that Virgin Voyages has the best thing going in terms of food offerings. Everything is included in terms of restaurants on board, so there is no "upcharge" fatigue that you get on a line like RCCL. I also like that they include gratuities in your fare, so there's no tipping on the ship (even on buying drinks, etc.), it's already been taken care of. Only thing, though, is that Virgin is 18+.

Otherwise, we actually find we get the most value out of Princess. While not the splashiest entry in the seas, we always have a good solid cruise and don't really feel the need to upcharge anything. Also, their "Princess Plus", where they include the drinks package, gratuities, and wi-fi for $60 per person/per day is much better than what I can get on other lines.

Outside of that, dare I say that we really love the new Carnival ships! We thought that Mardi Gras had some of the best "Comfort" food at sea. Way more options included than something like Oasis...

Quite honestly, I think that Virgin Voyages has the best thing going in terms of food offerings. Everything is included in terms of restaurants on board, so there is no "upcharge" fatigue that you get on a line like RCCL. I also like that they include gratuities in your fare, so there's no tipping on the ship (even on buying drinks, etc.), it's already been taken care of. Only thing, though, is that Virgin is 18+.

Otherwise, we actually find we get the most value out of Princess. While not the splashiest entry in the seas, we always have a good solid cruise and don't really feel the need to upcharge anything. Also, their "Princess Plus", where they include the drinks package, gratuities, and wi-fi for $60 per person/per day is much better than what I can get on other lines.

Outside of that, dare I say that we really love the new Carnival ships! We thought that Mardi Gras had some of the best "Comfort" food at sea. Way more options included than something like Oasis...
Which Carnival ships? I would like to try the ones that have the least partiers …LOL

Which Carnival ships? I would like to try the ones that have the least partiers …LOL
Well, if you want no partiers, then you need to be on something like Holland America :) (Full Disclosure: I think HAL cruises are pretty nice!)

That said, specifically the 2 new ships right now, Mardi Gras and Celebration. We felt (we went on Mardi Gras) that it was a huge step forward for Carnival on that ship.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter