Amtrak Seattle-Vancouver “service has been canceled”

HuskyGal

DIS Veteran
I was looking at the Amtrak app to upgrade our coach seats to business class and noticed our reservation now says “service has been canceled.” No email from Amtrak. I reached out to Amtrak, waiting to hear back from them. I noticed the route only offers buses now. Ugh. FYI check your reservation.
Editing to add their response:
Hello, We are showing that the service has been canceled. We are not showing a reason for the cancellation. Please feel free to contact one of our reservation agents who will be able to go over options for rescheduling with you. You may reach them by calling 1.800.USA.RAIL (872.7245). We apologize for the inconvenince.
ETA on 3/20:
“We apologize we don't have an estimated date as to when service will be rescheduled. We would recommend calling one of our reservation agents who will be able to issue a refund for this reservation. You may reach them by calling 1.800.USA.RAIL (872.7245). We apologize for the inconvenience.”

Last edited:
I was looking at the Amtrak app to upgrade our coach seats to business class and noticed our reservation now says “service has been canceled.” No email from Amtrak. I reached out to Amtrak, waiting to hear back from them. I noticed the route only offers buses now. Ugh. FYI check your reservation.
Editing to add their response:
Hello, We are showing that the service has been canceled. We are not showing a reason for the cancellation. Please feel free to contact one of our reservation agents who will be able to go over options for rescheduling with you. You may reach them by calling 1.800.USA.RAIL (872.7245). We apologize for the inconvenience.
Bummer. That reminds me of when JetBlue cancelled our flights two weeks before the trip last summer, also permanently cancelling the entire route.

Yep. I used the chat feature and got a refund for our Cascade tickets from Seattle to Vancouver. We were hoping to take it in July but the rep didn't have any idea if it would be operational by then, so we canceled and were refunded in a few days. There is the option for the bus still.

The Amtrak Cascades FB page posted on Feb 7 that people may see trains going north of Seattle as the start re-certification steps to get service back later in the spring. There have not been further updates bur there is hope for rail service for the Alaska cruise season.

Yep. I used the chat feature and got a refund for our Cascade tickets from Seattle to Vancouver. We were hoping to take it in July but the rep didn't have any idea if it would be operational by then, so we canceled and were refunded in a few days. There is the option for the bus still.
I checked flights on Alaska airlines and the prices are somewhat decent if you don’t want to drive.

The Amtrak Cascades FB page posted on Feb 7 that people may see trains going north of Seattle as the start re-certification steps to get service back later in the spring. There have not been further updates bur there is hope for rail service for the Alaska cruise season.
That would be nice but it’s not looking like it.

It's especially disappointing since Canada just removed the testing requirements for entry and the US doesn't require testing when entering via rail. Such a bummer!

It's especially disappointing since Canada just removed the testing requirements for entry and the US doesn't require testing when entering via rail. Such a bummer!
I’m hoping they restart the train. If not, we’ll switch to the bus ride.

There have been references on the Amtrak Cascades FB and twitter account that service is being tested north of Seattle, and although they will not give a date when asked by individuals asking about our specific scenario of going from Seattle to Vancouver for cruises, the response has been that they hope for a date "in late spring." Hey, today is the start of spring.

Until we see an actual date nothing is certain and one must make plans, but there is at least a small chance that we will see the train return for some of summer -- in my case we have until July so I am trying to be optimistic, as doing the train previously was a nice experience.

There have been references on the Amtrak Cascades FB and twitter account that service is being tested north of Seattle, and although they will not give a date when asked by individuals asking about our specific scenario of going from Seattle to Vancouver for cruises, the response has been that they hope for a date "in late spring." Hey, today is the start of spring.

Until we see an actual date nothing is certain and one must make plans, but there is at least a small chance that we will see the train return for some of summer -- in my case we have until July so I am trying to be optimistic, as doing the train previously was a nice experience.
Ah ok. Thanks for the info! I think I’ll wait for a bit to change to the bus itinerary. Thanks again.
ETA: response from Amtrak on 3/20:
We apologize we don't have an estimated date as to when service will be rescheduled. We would recommend calling one of our reservation agents who will be able to issue a refund for this reservation. You may reach them by calling 1.800.USA.RAIL (872.7245). We apologize for the inconvenience.

sorry, hijacking this thread. Looks like train is resuming, but running 10-2:15pm. Is that not enough time? Is Amtrak too unreliable? Our backup plan is our relative in Seattle will drive us.

sorry, hijacking this thread. Looks like train is resuming, but running 10-2:15pm. Is that not enough time? Is Amtrak too unreliable? Our backup plan is our relative in Seattle will drive us.
I just searched for early July when we'd need it, and it is still not running then. Boo.

What dates are you referring to? We were booked on July 10th and it was canceled months ago so we decided to hold out but my lack of patience (shocker) finally won and we just booked air in/out of Vancouver. Would like to go out of Seattle so still hoping!

Look closely at the itinerary, they are offering bus service but not train service. So when you go to book a “train” it actually shows a bus route.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter