Amtrak discount a deal?

ioneblair

Mouseketeer
I just used the discount from Orlando visitor's card to check out prices for Amtrak from Philly to Orlando and got a price of $543.20 roundtrip for 5 (2 adults/3 children) the difference was about $106 from the reg price.....

I'm worried I won't get a good airfare for mid-October when we are going and so maybe we'll go on the train.....as far as going by land, it's no problem for us.....I/we've done a LOT of land traveling via bus and train, even cross country.....couple of years ago we went roundtrip from Philly to Oregon.....(another good price I think back then, $379 roundtrip for 3....2 adults/1 child)

so how is this price? a deal? or what? anybody experienced with Amtrak to think I may be able to do better later?

I haven't booked yet - planning on doing so later this week - but have a price of $349.00 (AAA Rate) for myself and my boyfriend leaving out of Trenton NJ - one stop before yours. We are going down the end of May for my birthday. I think you price sounds good. We have done the train a few times before. We did the Autotrain about 7 years ago with his son who was 9 at the time and we all enjoyed it, except my boyfriend had trouble sleeping coming home. The last time we took the train was in November of last year. A few days before we left we got a phone call from Amtrak to see if we wanted to upgrade to a room for an extra $75.00. We did and it was worth it because we had gotten a really good rate - about $200.00 with a 10% internet deal from Amtrak. This included two dinners and two breakfasts. How did you get the discount rate from the Orlando Visitors Card. I sent away a postcard for this card but have not gotten it yet. Maybe you could PM me and let me know.
Thanks,
Linda

thanks for this feedback.....the train schedule we would be taking leaves about 5pm and gets into Orlando around 12:30pm next day and we'd go to a park this same day....and it's reassuring that you say you all enjoyed it cause the youngest will be 8.....I could give you the code but they say you still need to have the card when you pick up the tickets.....I just got the packet today....forgot when I signed up for it....you can call the Visitor's bureau (407-363-5872) to ask when you can expect your card.....or check on yours......you should surely get it soon, I don't think it was that long ago I signed up for it....maybe couple of weeks.....(I forget a lot sorry)

Thanks for answering me so quickly. I called the number you gave me and they are closed for the day. I'll try again tomorrow. I'm going to wait to get my package before booking my tickets. We would probably be on the same train - our train leaves Trenton at 4 something and gets to Orlando at 12:30. As far as the train goes, we just purchased a laptop computer so we will be bringing this to watch movies. Food is alittle expense so we usually go to Subway and bring some sandwiches for the trip for dinner. By the time you take off, get settled and eat it will be time to sleep. FYI - when we went last November, they have TV's on the train but they do not work. When we took the Autotrain there was a TV in the lounge car that showed Disney movies. I would definately suggest a portable DVD player or laptop. Also, when we went down October 2002 going home I was starting to get a cold so I bought Tylenol Nighttime and it really knocked me out - this was ok because it was just me and my boyfriend - I guess it would not be a good idea if you need to keep you eyes on your kids.
Linda

I'm going to pm you the code and you can check and even save the rate without booking just so you will see what your rates will be.....:)

the kids had homework LOL to do last train trip and then a TV that did ok sometimes and of course the ever present CD players, books and games.....and 2/3 of that trip was on the Superliner each way!!! a great ride so a lot of time was spent in the observation car with the windows so large they take up part of the roof LOL plus they played movies each way......this will be different but I know we'll be fine.....we leave mid-October (15th)

HAVE A GREAT TRIP! :)

Thanks so much. I'll check things out. Since you are going in October, are you going to MNSSHP. We did this in 2002 and had a great time. My boyfriend and I dressed up as Woody and Jessie from Toy Story. It was great walking around the MK all dressed up and checking out everyone's costumes.

Hope you have a great time.
Linda

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter