Amount of time to allow at MCO

MudBud

Mouseketeer
Disney’s Magical Express takes you to the airport 4 hours before your international flight. If you’re not using DME, would you still go 4 hours early?

If you are flying on AC, I would arrive 3h before the flight. Canada is not considered an international flight in MCO, but the AC counter is a total mess. They frequently check-in three flights at a time. I suggest using the check-in kiosk to print your luggage tags, but even the bad-drop line is crazy long. WJ is less problematic.

Getting through security can be brutal too.
We have been there where the line up went quickly and then we have been there on occasion where it took a very long time to get through.
I always make sure to build in extra time

I fly Southwest and usually arrive 2 hours before. Never had an issue.

It also depends on the time of year. I don't think I'd go there less than 2 yours before a flight but we flew from there 2 weeks ago and I think it took maybe 10-15 minutes to go through security. That said, we flew from there a few Christmases ago and I believe it took me over 2 hours to get through security (no special treatment, didn't get pulled aside, there was just tons of volume). My wife (who had gone ahead with our kids while I returned the rentals) had to ask the attendant to hold the door as I was still in security when they were called final boarding.

Depending on the time of day and year I wouldn't risk being any later than that 4 hours. We tend to take the last WestJet flight at 9:30-ish and the flight crew are also the check-in/luggage drop off counter staff at that time of day. They weren't at the counter when we arrived last trip and by the time they did get there the line was VERY long because there are 2 flights at almost the same time. The security line wasn't too bad but there were some people who came charging up to the gate shortly after they started boarding. I would rather stand at the front of that luggage line and then wait on the other side of security instead of at the end of it and fretting that we'd miss the plane.

***ETA .. our plane left a good 40 minutes early because the staff knew everyone had checked in for the flight and there was no need to wait around. They did need to do the "final boarding" call several times because some people had obviously decided to wander around the terminal instead of heading right to the gate. So if you don't have checked luggage & check-in for your flight online before arriving at the airport, do NOT wait too long to head to the gate!!!

Ya we’re flying WestJet and going Nov 11-21. I know it’s better to be safe than sorry so we’ll get there 3 1/2 before our flight.

I've had both pretty easy and really tough experiences at MCO. The worst line I ever saw was when we happened to be going through security at the same time as multiple busloads of cruise passengers that had just come in.

You just never know, so I think you are right to allow extra time. At least it's not a bad airport to hang out in once you are through and relaxed. - It's fun to people-watch see everyone arriving all excited for their vacations.

Ya we’re flying WestJet and going Nov 11-21. I know it’s better to be safe than sorry so we’ll get there 3 1/2 before our flight.
That's really too much time. If there is nothing else you would rather be doing then go ahead and hang out at the airport.....there are loads of shops before security that are fun to browse. I've been flying in and out of MCO several times a year for the last 15+ years. Minimum time is 2 hours but 2.5 is good. If you are returning a car it's a bit of a walk from the garage so plan 15 minutes to return the car and walk in to the check in counter, then 20-30 minutes to check in, 20-40 minutes for security and be at your gate at least 30 minutes before departure. We usually aim to be at the airport 2.5 hours ahead and almost always have time eat something and then still sit waiting at the gate for a good 30 minutes before boarding starts.

Disney’s Magical Express takes you to the airport 4 hours before your international flight. If you’re not using DME, would you still go 4 hours early?

I'd happily head over at 3 hours rather than 4 if it were up to me. We always have hours to spare.

We try to be in the car rental garage 2 hours before our flight, we fly Westjet. Usually Christmas and March break. We go to security right away. It can be busy but never had a problem.

I will agree with the above posters that it is better to have extra time and be rushed.

HOWEVER... Magical Express has dropped me off so early that the Air Canada ticket / checked bag counter wasn’t even open yet. (Clarification, early to my flight and not early in the morning. Air Canada crew only arrived at something like noon for a 2pm flight)

Being early, I was quick when they finally arrived and there was quite a line behind me.

So, start with the 4-hours and then whittle time off if you don’t have checked bags, already have an electronic boarding pass, and/or have a Nexus /TSA Pre security clearance. Each check mark above could potentially save you 20-minutes each.

For 9 25 pm WJ flight, I put down 7 pm for rental car return

After hotel checkout, will spend the afternoon at Disney Springs and Raglan Road dinner.... as per usual

it picks you up from your resort 4 hours before,not has you there 4 hrs before.This allows time to get there and possibly make other stops along the way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter