American Housewife

momz

DIS Veteran
i just started watching this show. I'm a few episodes in. My original thoughts are that its funny and relatable, even though I'm not a stay at home mom, there are plenty of situations in the show that are experienced by all moms regardless.

But, the further I get into the series, the more disgusted I am with the fat shaming and the racist and homophobe stereotypes. I think the show could be just as funny without these aspects.

I'll watch again, but I'm not sure where the producers are headed with this.

What do you think?

Never heard of it. A quick Google search makes it sound like "we're a non-perfect family living in a perfect town", which doesn't sound very creative.

But, the further I get into the series, the more disgusted I am with the fat shaming and the racist and homophobe stereotypes.

Plus the gender-normative stereotype of there being a "housewife". The very premise of the show is a stereotype. Then again, I've noticed that to be true of most sitcoms lately.

My husband and I actually enjoy the show (I totally didn't think he would though) but I get where you are coming from. Sometimes it's just a bit much ya know? Then again Family Guy...that's on a whole other level of being a bit much.

I have seen some of this show.
While I am not a huge, huge, fan... I see no problem at all with stereotypes.
In fact, almost every successful character in these shows could be called a stereotype.
Look at characters like the mother in The Goldbergs... OMG, that show is very successful because of Wendy's totally over the top portayal of the steriotype of the very over-involved, home-maker, mother-bear. I love it!

I do not see this in any negative and/or stereotypical way. I think way to many people are just looking, every day, for a reason to be offended.
And, in fact. am just so very tired of all the PC stuff these days. One can't say anything at all without the PC card being played. It is a very effective and insidious form of bullying and assault on our freedom of speech. So much so, that I have decided to back up and put that sentence in bold.

In fact, the whole thing about this show is how the main character is 'true to who she really is'. The voice-overs are all about what she is really thinking in her head. And the whole premise is how she defies the pressures to hold her tongue, conform to that communities stereotype, and sometimes openly says the very non-PC thngs (in that community).

The so-called fat shaming are a part of the very first episodes, as necessary to set up the scenario. In fact, the OP is VERY comfortable in her own skin, and openly proud of it. She was proud of it when she opened her big mouth, and as a result, the local coffee shop started carrying actual half-and-half instead of fat-free, sugar-free, soy milk product, for their coffee.

Last edited:

I do like this show, I think it's pretty funny. The hardest part of watching this show is not seeing the husband and wife as the characters they have previously played on other shows.

I agree with @Wishing on a star, the whole PC thing goes too far sometimes. It's fine to disagree but if you don't like the content than don't watch it. There are plenty of shows on TV right now that I bypass because I think that they are a load of crap, "reality" TV being the worst offenders. Sometimes I feel like the networks should pay us to watch TV instead of us paying monster cable bills.

OMG!!! I agree about the so-called 'scripted' reality TV. But, I look at it solely as entertainment. Sometimes it is like watching a train wreck... Sometimes you can't look away. And, sometimes it's pretty fun!

We love American Housewife. I always loved Katy Mixon as Molly's sister in Mike and Molly, and I always thought she should have her own show. She is hilarious! The stereotypes don't bother me. Sometimes it's fun to laugh at uncomfortable topics. It's definitely played as a caricature of a "normal" family. The husband is as crazy as the wife!

I watch and enjoy the show, but they really need to hide Katy's pregnancy better.

We enjoy it. I mean so much of it is fake/unrealistic but it's just supposed to be comic relief. It's okay. Type of show that you watch for a few years then totally forget it ever existed.

I love Katy Mixon! Loved her character on Mike & Molly!

Unfortunately, American Housewife doesn't always fire on all cylinders. Sometimes it's so hilarious I have to pause it so I can catch my breath. Other times it's just boring. And the oldest son really irks me; the Money-Obsessed Adolescent bit has been done to death by better shows (Alex P. Keaton, anyone?), and it's a hackneyed trope at this point.

I have watched a few, then someone forgot about it. I really liked the ones I watched, she is hilarious! And I think she and her husband were perfectly cast.

I actually like the son! I think it was because this kid was so perfectly cast!
And, of course, gotta REALLY love Anna-Kat! Even though the girl and her character are just not true to what they are supposed to be. (did you guys watch last night)

I keep halfway forgetting the oldest (everyday kid next door) daughter even exists.

I usually enjoy this one. Like The Middle, I see it as one of those shows that takes a grain of something you can really relate to and exaggerates it for laughs.

the local coffee shop started carrying actual half-and-half instead of fat-free, sugar-free, soy milk product, for their coffee.

I loved when they did that!

I like this show a lot. I think Anna-Kat is adorable. I first started watching because I live in an area where most of the women are in a contest to see who can eat the least and I love the shows take on that. When I take food to meetings I was at first a little insulted that no one seemed to eat my food. Then I noticed that once the first person took food everyone else tried to make sure they took less. At book club I served chicken salad sandwiches cut in half. The first woman cut the sandwich in half and took one-fourth. Everyone else followed then they started making a point of scraping the chicken salad off the bread because of the horrors of actually consuming bread. I quickly learned not to bother with food, just take wine and a few slices of cheese.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter