American Girl Doll

I loved American Girl dolls when I was young. I really loved the books and everything about it, still a history buff to this day. I had a Samantha doll which has now been given to my daughter last Christmas, she was almost 4. She loved her Samantha doll but the doll sat around alot. In the last few months she has started to get into it more, she loves change her clothes and "do" her hair and go to the AG store! We have also read some of the Samantha books. I hope that as she gets older we can incorporate the stories and history into her homeschooling!

We bought DD (17 mos) a girl-of-the-year for the year she was born. She won't get this doll until she's a lot older though (she'll probably get my old AG dolls first, and even those I'm thinking waiting until she's at least 6 or so, for Kanani and any other new dolls probably at least another year after that?).

I debate the Bitty Babies (maybe a year from now?), but I can't justify the cost for the amount of abuse it would take from a toddler/Pre-schooler. Is there a Target/similar version of Bitty? I'd rather save the AG money for the 18" dolls:thumbsup2 (maybe I just need to check out Goodwill though - sounds like some of you have had some great finds!)

My daughter started expressing interest right before she turned six, so we got her an Our Generation. Previously she had had NO use for dolls. She loved it to death--to the point that her hair turned into a matted snarly mess and I had to rewig it.

She started saving her money and bought her first AG doll at age 7. Then my sister gave her her old Kirsten doll (when they were still made by Pleasant Company!) and my dad gave her my mom's Molly doll. She's nearly 9 and has THREE--I've not bought any of them. :)

My 6yo son really wants a boy doll, but I have had no luck finding one that's not ugly. I may just get an Our Generation and cut its hair for him.

DD3 got her Bitty Twin for her second birthday. We went to the store in LA and she picked her out herself. (You can buy just one of the twins at the stores, and I knew she would want a baby with hair but didn't want to buy two.) she loved her then and loves her now, too. She has asked for a big doll, but I told her it is a few more years until she can have one of those.

I have an original Kirsten doll and almost all her collection. I thought I'd pass it on to my daughter but didn't figure on having two! :) So when my two are 5&7-ish, they can choose their own big doll and share Kirsten and her stuff.

Ooooo you guys give me hope!! My DD is 8 almost 9 (in Jan) and she has NEVER played with Dolls, hardly even Barbies. But this year she told Gma she wanted one so she is getting one this year from her. I would never spend that much on a doll for a kid whose never shown interest, let Gma spend her money on that kind of thing :lmao: I REALLY hope she plays with her doll. My DD can be so girly but so NOT at the same time. She was never really into Disney Princesses either, at least never when we were at a Disney park LOL. Minnie seems to be her girl. Maybe 9 is the magic number for really playing with dolls? I'll be keeping my fingers crossed :laughing:

When DD was 4, we went to the Pirate and Princess Party at WDW. When I asked her what princess she wanted to dress up as (she had a ton of dresses handed down from her older cousin) she looked at me in shock and said, "I want to be a pirate!" So, much for the pretty photo of my princess by Cinderella's coach.;)

Anyway, she never wanted an American Girl Doll until just before her 8th birthday, so I took her to the AG doll store near us on her birthday (with $ from her uncle) and she picked out Kit. (because they both have blue eyes and freckles) She's been hooked ever since. We've read every book there is about Kit, now have Ruthie, the bed etc.... I've also been able to get her clothes from Dollie & Me (sadly this will be the last year for that as they only go up to size 12) so that she Kit and Ruthie can dress up together. For her 9th birthday, we had a small party at the American Girl doll store. She will be 10 next month and for her special birthday meal she has asked to go back to AG. So, you never know. :goodvibes

SmallWorld71 said:
When DD was 4, we went to the Pirate and Princess Party at WDW. When I asked her what princess she wanted to dress up as (she had a ton of dresses handed down from her older cousin) she looked at me in shock and said, "I want to be a pirate!" So, much for the pretty photo of my princess by Cinderella's coach.;)

My DD3 was a pirate for Halloween this year using all the stuff we got from her Pirates makeover at Disneyland. :)

She's all girl with her love of dresses and dolls and princesses, but she throws in pirates and cars and robots, just for balance. ;)

What would the value be of a used doll in good physical condition but with a haircut ( not bad )? Around $50?

Depends on whether it is a retired doll or not.

If it is a retired doll people would probably be willing to pay close to the original price (if not more) and just get the head replaced. If it is a current doll they probably would want to pay less than $50 since I think it costs around $45 to get a head replaced at the AG hospital (plus shipping if you don't live by one). Since it is just the hair they may just re-wig it though which is probably cheaper.

Ours were maybe 2 and 4 when they got a Bitty Baby for Christmas from their uncle. Then they got ones from Santa when they were 6, DD #3 just picked hers out last week for her 6th birthday at the store in Kansas City, she chose Caroline (looks just like her!)

My girls just got them for Christmas at ages 4 and 6 from my mom. I had 4 American Girl dolls (Felicity, Molly, Kirsten, and Samantha), and they are at my mom's house. My daughters play with them nearly every time we go over there. We have always kept them put up in the boxes when they are not being played with. I do not have my girls keep their own in the boxes, but they have been taught how to care for their dolls.

my now 14 year got her 1st two (the best friends Elizabeth adn Felicity)when she was 7 years old then at 8 at the girl of the year.... my 5 year old DD got her 1st Bitty baby at 2 years old next year she'll get her 1st big girl doll lol

My DD got hers when she was 9. She had asked for one for her 7th and 8th birthday. At 7 i said NO WAY was I spending that much for a doll. My girls are very rough with their toys. So when she was asking again when at 8, I got her the Toys R Us brand and told her if she could take good care of her, and not lose her for one year She could have one for her next birthday. And she DID! That doll's hair is still in perfect condition!
So as it neared her 9th birthday, I let her know that if she wanted an American Girl for her birthday then that was ALL she was getting for her birthday, because of the price. We were going to go to the Store so she could pick her up, but her birthday is very close to the end of the year and she wanted the girl of the year, so we ordered it ahead of time to ensure that she got her.
She loves kanani! Her hair gets a little funky every now and again, but I have to spend a few hours getting it under control again.

My daughter was 2 when she got her AG Bitty Baby. My daughter will be 5 in a month and that doll is still attached to her hip. She loves it. Every time we get a catalog, she goes through it and picks out everything she wants. I do have another Bitty Baby put away for her that looks more like a toddler but my concern is her destroying the hair so she won't get it for at least 6 months. Maybe not until she's 6.

I know the dolls are expensive but this is the only doll my daughter has that she won't put down.

I got Rosa her first on her 1st birthday BUT she isn't allowed to play with it. I plan to get her one for each of her birthday's but till she can take care of them she can't play with them. She loves babies and I let her play with her for a little bit when she wants but when she is done Josephina goes back in her box and up on the shelf.

Thanks for replies. I ended up getting my 9 year old who has never played with dolls but asked for one for Christmas this year, Marie Grace for Christmas. I bough her when the Today Show had the code for 2 of the dolls being half off. Good thing to bc she has opened the box brushed her hair and put her back in the box once. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter