Amazon Prime...worth it?

lemondog

<font color=darkorchid>My twins fight over who too
We are getting our oldest DD a Kindle Fire for Christmas. She is more willing to read on a tablet than a book, and she definitely needs motivation to read. We also like the parental control features vs. the iPad, especially the part where we can limit how much she "plays" on it yet still maintain unlimited reading time.

To get to my question, I see that with Amazon Prime there are over 180,000 books you can "rent" for free, like a library. Have you found there to be a decent selection of juvenile/young adult titles to choose from. Our local library DOES offer ebooks to check out and in fact I check them out all the time to the Kindle app on my iPad. Would this be redundant??? Also, I do order from Amazon from time to time so the free expedited shipping would be nice. Just wondering if you think Amazon Prime is a worthwhile expenditure? Any other benefits I should know about? Thanks.

I have Amazon Prime and for me it is totally worth it. I shop Amazon frequently so the savings on shipping is the reason. I don't know if I'd spend the money on Prime if it was just for borrowing books or streaming videos. It would really depend on how often I do that. I have a Kindle, and rarely borrow books from Amazon, I either download free ones, or borrow from my local library.

I have Amazon Prime and for me it is totally worth it. I shop Amazon frequently so the savings on shipping is the reason. I don't know if I'd spend the money on Prime if it was just for borrowing books or streaming videos. It would really depend on how often I do that. I have a Kindle, and rarely borrow books from Amazon, I either download free ones, or borrow from my local library.

That last part got my attention how does the last part of your statement work and how expensive is it I read a lot

That last part got my attention how does the last part of your statement work and how expensive is it I read a lot

Amazon has a ton of free books to download so every couple days I just check the top 100. I also subscribe to Pixel Of Ink (on FB) because publishers will release a book for free for a limited time and they keep you updated.
I can borrow ebooks from my local library, but the most popular usually have a waitlist. I honestly don't know how much I spend on books, but if I take how many I have read compared to how many I've paid real money for its a very small amount.

lemondog said:
We are getting our oldest DD a Kindle Fire for Christmas. She is more willing to read on a tablet than a book, and she definitely needs motivation to read. We also like the parental control features vs. the iPad, especially the part where we can limit how much she "plays" on it yet still maintain unlimited reading time.

To get to my question, I see that with Amazon Prime there are over 180,000 books you can "rent" for free, like a library. Have you found there to be a decent selection of juvenile/young adult titles to choose from. Our local library DOES offer ebooks to check out and in fact I check them out all the time to the Kindle app on my iPad. Would this be redundant??? Also, I do order from Amazon from time to time so the free expedited shipping would be nice. Just wondering if you think Amazon Prime is a worthwhile expenditure? Any other benefits I should know about? Thanks.

I have Prime and it is worth it to me.

I have an Amazon visa and I do a lot of shopping through the site. I use it for the lending library and streaming videos as well!

Amazon has a ton of free books to download so every couple days I just check the top 100. I also subscribe to Pixel Of Ink (on FB) because publishers will release a book for free for a limited time and they keep you updated.
I can borrow ebooks from my local library, but the most popular usually have a waitlist. I honestly don't know how much I spend on books, but if I take how many I have read compared to how many I've paid real money for its a very small amount.

Thank you

I order a lot off Amazon and Prime is totally worth it for me. I haven't used the instant video a whole bunch, though.

As a 4 year subscriber , its a big yes. One large box, or one last minute gift will likely covet half the cost.

The first year i got it my first shipping cost would have been 24 dollars!!!

I just ordered the Kindle Paperwhite last night and decided to sign up for Prime...I order a lot from Amazon so hoping the savings on shipping will be worth it.

Would like to try the streaming stuff but have not tried it yet.

MJ

It depends on how much you buy though. Now that amazon charges tax in California, i dont think its worth it anymore. it might be easier/better if you find like 4 ppl and share an account.

Not so sure about the books part, but I'd highly recommend Amazon Prime. It comes in handy, especially when the whole family can use it to buy things online with free 2-day shipping.

Also I should mention that amazon prime members can get video games the day they come out in the mail if they pre-order them.

We have Prime and love it. It make shopping so much easier. We also order many things that you cant just run to the store and buy. For example I bought my husband two books for Christmas that I never would have found here in town (or it would have taken a lot of searching). We pretty much only use it for the free two day shipping.
We always cost compare in stores as well. I have the Amazon app on my phone so I can just scan a bar code and see if Amazon has it and what they are selling it for.

If you are buying kindle prime "just" for the lending library - just be aware that there is a limit of 1 book per month.

We have "prime" but use it primarily for the shipping benefits.

DD has a kindle ( but since she is in college - she hasn't read anything "fun") so we haven't used the lending library. I've heard the the lending library books will only download to kindles. I do my e-reading on an ipad.

We have Prime and love it. It make shopping so much easier. We also order many things that you cant just run to the store and buy. For example I bought my husband two books for Christmas that I never would have found here in town (or it would have taken a lot of searching). We pretty much only use it for the free two day shipping.
We always cost compare in stores as well. I have the Amazon app on my phone so I can just scan a bar code and see if Amazon has it and what they are selling it for
That sounds like something I would use. Where would I find the app at on Amazon? I'm new to all of this kind of stuff. Never had internet on my phone in the past as I never felt the need for it. The plan I have now does have internet.

That sounds like something I would use. Where would I find the app at on Amazon? I'm new to all of this kind of stuff. Never had internet on my phone in the past as I never felt the need for it. The plan I have now does have internet.

i use the app a ton of times... purchase it asap if you got all ur info stored... what phone do u have? should be in App Store or Google Play Store.

We haven't decided yet. We tried it to compare the instant streaming with Netflix, along with the 2 day shipping. So far, we still like Netflix better, but we might keep it just for the shipping.

I love Prime! I use it for free books and free two-day shipping. I don't drive anymore and do a lot of shopping on line. I just ordered 30 AA batteries for my "window candles" and it was $7.00 total.....and it has been shipped and will arrive Wednesday! It isn't quite like going out and getting it instantly. However, the prices are good and the convenience is awesome!

It really just depends on how much shopping you do at Amazon. I had it as a student (special rate) and it was fabulous for textbooks and other purchases.

I'd like to get Prime again but haven't been making many online purchases via Amazon recently.

I love Amazon Prime and have had it since it started. It ends up being about $6-7 month. I do a lot of amazon shopping and it really does pay for itself. I also use movie streaming and the library for my kindle fire.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter