Amazon Driver Damaged Property

SC Minnie

I'm no quitter - Are we there yet?
Anyone ever have to filed a claim with Amazon due to their driver damaging your property? How are they to deal with? This driver may have been a contracted driver since she wasn't driving a marked Amazon van.

The story-- as I was driving down my street friday afternoon coming home I saw a van pulling out of my driveway (not backing out but pulling out as if they had backed in). I didn't think anything of it because I was expecting an Amazon delivery. The driver stopped on the street just off by driveway blocking the mailbox. I had to motion for her to move because I needed to check the mail. She pulled up a few feet (not much) and got out of her van. She walked to my car and said she wasn't sure she was at the right house and handed me a package asking if it was mine. ???? I thought it was strange but whatever. We've never had an issue with Amazon finding out house. She then asked me what the house number was next door and their name. It was all weird.

I got my mail from the mailbox and hit the garage door opener. When I pulled up to the house my garage door was off the tracks on hanging horizontal about 4 feet off the ground. The only thing holding it on was the track up top and the cables that draw it up and down. I had no idea what happened. I called a garage door repair guy and he came out early Sat morning.

When he got the door back on the tracks and closed we looked at it. There were scuff marks about bumper high, an obvious indentation in the door (from the inside you can see it's bowed inward), and on top of the door frame that is a gash/indentation that wasn't there before.

DH had left for work at 2pm and everything was fine. I came home around 5:15. The package shows delivered at 5:13. There is no photo of the package on the porch like the normally do because she handed it to me in the street.

Anyone have to deal with this before? I've gotten the quote to replace the garage door and am getting the quote for the repair of the siding around the door frame. I've taken pictures and will be sending all to Amazon to go with the claim I filed Saturday.

Do I have to wait until they respond to the claim to replace the door? We can't use the garage as it is now.

You can replace the door, just keep all receipts and take photos.

I can't speak for Amazon, but I know for sure that many FedEx, UPS, etc...delivery drivers are not directly FedEx employees. They are contractors who have exclusive contracts with a company like Amazon or FedEx. They have their own insurance coverage, exclusive from anything dealing with the company they are doing work for. There will be policy specific circumstances that dictate whether the contractor handles the claim or the company they are working for (Amazon, for example).

Having said all of that, I suspect you may have a difficult time getting this paid. Unless the driver admits to hitting your door, you may not have enough proof of loss to establish clear liability. It's definitely worth a shot and I'd turn the claim in, but don't necessarily expect the outcome you're hoping for.

Let me know if you have any questions. Sorry to hear about the damage.

unfortunately we don't. The first question I asked Amazon is if their vans had cameras. The chances of them admitting fault are slim but I have to try.

OP, do you have outside security cameras? I think that is the only way you have a chance of having your garage door paid for by Amazon.

Find out who owns the van. Decent chance it isn't Amazon. As I mentioned, it very well could be an independent contractor. They may or may not have a camera in the van. However, even if they do, it likely didn't "lock" the event in as the impact wasn't hard enough too.

Anyone ever have to filed a claim with Amazon due to their driver damaging your property? How are they to deal with? This driver may have been a contracted driver since she wasn't driving a marked Amazon van.

The story-- as I was driving down my street friday afternoon coming home I saw a van pulling out of my driveway (not backing out but pulling out as if they had backed in). I didn't think anything of it because I was expecting an Amazon delivery. The driver stopped on the street just off by driveway blocking the mailbox. I had to motion for her to move because I needed to check the mail. She pulled up a few feet (not much) and got out of her van. She walked to my car and said she wasn't sure she was at the right house and handed me a package asking if it was mine. ???? I thought it was strange but whatever. We've never had an issue with Amazon finding out house. She then asked me what the house number was next door and their name. It was all weird.

I got my mail from the mailbox and hit the garage door opener. When I pulled up to the house my garage door was off the tracks on hanging horizontal about 4 feet off the ground. The only thing holding it on was the track up top and the cables that draw it up and down. I had no idea what happened. I called a garage door repair guy and he came out early Sat morning.

When he got the door back on the tracks and closed we looked at it. There were scuff marks about bumper high, an obvious indentation in the door (from the inside you can see it's bowed inward), and on top of the door frame that is a gash/indentation that wasn't there before.

DH had left for work at 2pm and everything was fine. I came home around 5:15. The package shows delivered at 5:13. There is no photo of the package on the porch like the normally do because she handed it to me in the street.

Anyone have to deal with this before? I've gotten the quote to replace the garage door and am getting the quote for the repair of the siding around the door frame. I've taken pictures and will be sending all to Amazon to go with the claim I filed Saturday.

Do I have to wait until they respond to the claim to replace the door? We can't use the garage as it is now.
I don't see anyway you have proof (unless you have some kind of camera) that it was Amazon that damaged your garage door. Unless the driver says "yes, I did hit the garage door", I think you're going to be SOL.

unfortunately we don't. The first question I asked Amazon is if their vans had cameras. The chances of them admitting fault are slim but I have to try.
Even if they did, the camera would probably be front facing, which wouldn't help you.

Do any of your neighbors have cameras that might show vehicles on the street or even at the end of your driveway?

Even if they did, the camera would probably be front facing, which wouldn't help you.
Our camera is above our garage door and while it wouldn't show the actual impact, you would see the vehicle coming up to the garage and hear the impact.

I sent a bunch of pictures and an estimate for the door replacement. I just received an email from Amazon that 'upon review of the documents submitted it has been determined that $1316.32 is warranted for damages sustained.'

I hadn't gotten the estimate to replace the vinyl around the door but I am OK with this settlement. I am surprised they came got back to me so quick.

So to anyone else-- it never hurts to try!

I sent a bunch of pictures and an estimate for the door replacement. I just received an email from Amazon that 'upon review of the documents submitted it has been determined that $1316.32 is warranted for damages sustained.'

I hadn't gotten the estimate to replace the vinyl around the door but I am OK with this settlement. I am surprised they came got back to me so quick.

Great news!

Outstanding. Perhaps the driver fessed up (they and the franchise may have good reason to). Regardless, glad it worked out well.

Outstanding. Perhaps the driver fessed up (they and the franchise may have good reason to). Regardless, glad it worked out well.

I'm thinking she may have fessed up too since I saw her pulling out of the driveway and the way the whole handling of the package was with her. She had to see the way the door was when it opened and was just hanging there. Anyway, we're probably going to be out a couple of hundred to replace the vinyl trim for the part I hadn't gotten an estimate on yet but I'm satisfied.

Me too! I have a feeling the driver admitted to hitting the door and that's why they were able to settle so quickly. We're still going to be out a little money but the biggest chunk is going to be paid for so I'm happy. I was not expecting a positive resolution.
I’m sure and I’m sure they don’t want to lose a customer over a smallish claim. Glad it worked out.

We've had a few issues with Amazon delivery drivers (no damage to our property, but seemingly deliberate damage to the packages and orders), and Amazon customer service has been surprisingly concerned and responsive when I've sent in complaints. So I'm not too surprised that they were quick to get back to you on this. Glad everything worked out for you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter