Amazing August - W.I.S.H. Goals

Flossbolna

Sea days are just so relaxing!
The summer is coming to an end and we will make it count!

This is your monthly W.I.S.H. Goals thread. W.I.S.H. stand for "We are Inspired to Stay Healthy!". So, pick a healthy goal for the month and join us!

We will have a schedule of questions/topics and I hope we will get some discussions on those. But otherwise, feel free with anything that is on your mind and which you want to share and/or get some input on.

This will be the weekly schedule:

Motivation Monday
Topic Tuesday
Woo Hoo Wednesday
Topic Thursday
Free-for-All Friday

So, grab a seat, join in and tell us about yourself, your goal and your Woohoo - it's a Wednesday today and we don't want to miss out on the positive energy of everyone sharing one thing from today or this week that they can celebrate!

I am looking forward to chatting with all of you this month!

Magdalene

Hello everyone!!

My name is Magdalene and I am going to be your host this month! I have been taking part in these wish threads for years now and you would think I was at my goal by now. Unfortunately I am up again with my weight and especially the last month was really bad as I did eat badly while on vacation. Today was slightly better... I still need to track my food though. My goal this month is to get consistent with food tracking again. My goal is it to track all my food for the month. I know that this is the most important step for me in order to lose weight. I am not giving myself a weightless goal as I tend to not lose very much... Currently I just need to start rebuilding my habit again!

A bit more about me for those who don't know me yet: I am 46, living in Nuremberg in Germany (and I am German) with an American husband, who splits his time between Germany and the US (currently he is away). No kids, no pets, so I should have plenty of time to focus on healthy living. I love to run, but only run short distances (like 3 miles) on a regular basis. I am signed up for a 10k at the beginning of October, so I need to get started on training for that though. Currently it is just sooo unbearably hot here in Germany that running is quite out of the question. Well, I could run at 5am or so, but that doesn't work as I am trying to be at work at 6:30 am at the moment to use the coolish morning hours to get my work done. No air conditioning anywhere besides some stores.

My Woohoo for today is

1) I started the thread!
2) I ate fairly sensibly!
3) I felt much less tired today than the previous days and feel like I am getting adjusted to the heat!

Thanks for hosting @Flossbolna

Goal for the month - create 3500 calories deficit each week. Eat less meat and have more meat free days. Check my weight more regularly

Whoohoo - I am back to cooking and eating healthier for just over a week and feel better. My breakfast lunch and snack for tomorrow are already packed. My husband is home this week - meaning I can go to yoga class in the evening instead of doing it home

Thanks @Flossbolna for hosting August!

Goals for the month:

10,000 steps at least 4 days a week.
Lose 5 pounds
Complete the on-line Soul Restoration course, which is the curriculum for the retreat I'm going to in November.

Woohoo... the hot temps have broken and we're back to the ever lovely mid-70's, with a chance of slight shower tomorrow. At my NAET appointment yesterday we also talked about the puffiness I have in my neck, and came up with a couple ideas of other things I can do to address it. It's short work week, due to having Friday off... hoping to get some good step in walking on the beach.

It's very hot in Ireland this summer too. I don't usually see autumn colours grass here! I was glad to see some rain and my tiny garden having some green again

Day one went ok. I am trying not to dwell on how I get here, again, but to look forward with the healthiest life I can honestly enjoy in mind. I have breakfast lunch and snack packed. I will take walk on my lunch break and will go to yoga class after dinner.

Calorie deficit goal for the month - 15 500. Day 1 -542.

14958 to go :)

Topic Thursday:

images

The above picture shows how our weather here in Germany feels at the moment. Weather is something that can have a big influence on our lives, positively and negatively. What are your best tips on how to use weather to help you with your healthy living and how to not let adverse weather take you down - whether it is heat, cold, rain, snow, sunshine?

Last edited:
Woohoo... the hot temps have broken and we're back to the ever lovely mid-70's, with a chance of slight shower tomorrow.

I am so envious!! We desperately need rain here. Yesterday I carried five buckets of water out to the tree on the street in front of my house. This tree is vital for keeping my appartment liveable in this heat as it provides shade when the afternoon sun would be really hitting my walls. I have decided that I need to do my part to keep it alive!

Calorie deficit goal for the month - 15 500. Day 1 -542.

Well done! I was thinking this morning that I should do that, too, and post my daily deficit on here as that will make me accountable to actually track what I eat!

So, here it goes:
August 1: -586

Quotes from dr Yoni book

"If you can't happily eat any less you are not going to eat any less
If you can't happily exercise anymore you are not going to exercise anymore
If you don't like the life you are living, you are not going to keep living that way
Your best weight is whatever weight you reach living the healthiest life you actually enjoy

The more weight you would like to permanently lose the more of your life you will have to permanently change

Your best, not the best there is. ...

your best changes day by day and hour by hour and minute by minute and not only includes but embraces imperfection. It's this recognition that your best is dynamic that will help you to get back on the horse when you inevitably get thrown off. And it's this recognition that will afford you your ability to not just live your life but to love it. You are here on this planet once and you owe it to yourself to ensure that you like the life while you are here.

Yes there will be effort involved. But if there is regular suffering you are doing something wrong. You are aiming for the healthiest life you can enjoy, not the healthiest life you can tolerate."

Last edited:
Topic Thursday:

What are your best tips on how to use weather to help you with your healthy living and how to not let adverse weather take you down - whether it is heat, cold, rain, snow, sunshine?

Think about options.
Rain - good rain gear, good indoor gym, shopping malls for a walk. Summer spf
Winter hearty soups. Summer tasty produce

Whatever the weather try to spend at least 20 minutes outside. Keeps my mood better.

TOPIC THURSDAY - WEATHER BEST TIPS

Whatever the weather is, don't use it as an excuse - embrace it! As @HappyGrape has said, think about the options different weather brings with it. I've been pretty wilty with our recent hot temps, but I did make a point to do extra walking inside, like making a couple extra loops in the grocery store. And I agree, getting out of doors time every day is really important and healthful.

We do have the promised drizzle this morning, and I actually had to throw on a jacket for the first time, heck, probably since I got back from Alaska end of June. It's very refreshing... even my cat Whitehall was feeling perky and playful this morning.

I'm living on the edge today... in this week's NAET session we did the second half of eggs, so this morning I'm doing a test and got an egg and sausage sandwich for breakfast. Best 460 calories I ever ate. Now let's jut hope it doesn't make my ankles and feet swell up.

I'll be off-line tomorrow, so here's my end of week goal check-in:

Lose -5 pounds: I was down -1 this morning, so that's one for the month.
10,000 steps: didn't do that yesterday.
Complete Soul Restoration course: will start this weekend

I am so envious!! We desperately need rain here. Yesterday I carried five buckets of water out to the tree on the street in front of my house. This tree is vital for keeping my appartment liveable in this heat as it provides shade when the afternoon sun would be really hitting my walls. I have decided that I need to do my part to keep it alive!
Yay for taking care of the tree! About four years ago our city planted trees in my neighborhood, as part of a conservation effort... nine were planted on my block and six of them died last year because the city took the water bags off and stopped taking care of them. The three that are left are in front on my sister's (old) house, my house and my neighbor's - because we took up the watering of them. I actually put a water bag back on, and have to say my tree is the biggest and happiest of them all - which makes me very proud and happy.

I'm in for the month!

Wahoo...I'm back at work? Not sure if I should really wahoo that one! Except I absolutely love my job and it's nice to be back to a routine. And another wahoo, according to my fitness pal I've logged my food for a year now! You'd think I'd be skinnier. :rotfl:So in honor of that and the brilliant idea of posting deficits (or non-deficits) yesterday -304 today -97.

QOTD: I agree with the other posters, clothing is so important. Here in the Pacific Northwest it rains, a lot! For years, before my current job, my walking group walked no matter the weather, we just put on warm clothes, or rain gear, or tank tops! It's actually a question I've been asking myself because I've upped my step count goal. There's no trouble reaching it while the sun is out and the weather is warm. I'm going to have to work much harder when it's cold and dark! I'm ready to do that, though. The latest phit and phat podcast I listened to she talked about just doing something. Which goes back to a topic from last month...the next step/hard thing. So there's that step goal and I'm going to add lunges, too. Not like a million or anything. Just some!

QOTD:

While I often find it easier to overcome adverse weather when I am motivated, I often struggle with using good weather as a motivator when I am not motivated. Which then makes me feel bad about not making use of the good weather and therefore less motivated.

For this weekend I have decided that I will keep getting up early at 5am, but instead of going to work, I will go out for a run one morning. The other day I have decided to go to the pool - not just to cool off, but to actually swim! I am debating going to the fancy pool complex that is indoor and outdoor. They have a special price when it is hot as most people don't think about it having also the outdoor part. It is very relaxing there and I think it would be nice to combine a bit of a treat with some exercise. It might also be a little less crowded there than at the outdoor pool. We will see...

Yay for taking care of the tree! About four years ago our city planted trees in my neighborhood, as part of a conservation effort... nine were planted on my block and six of them died last year because the city took the water bags off and stopped taking care of them. The three that are left are in front on my sister's (old) house, my house and my neighbor's - because we took up the watering of them. I actually put a water bag back on, and have to say my tree is the biggest and happiest of them all - which makes me very proud and happy.

Yesterday when I was watering the tree, my upstairs neighbor saw me and she was thrilled as she had thought about doing it herself. She told me that there ought to be a hose in the house and we found it and attached it and with that we were able to give the tree a lot of water. We also watered two more trees nearby! I really hope that this will make a difference! I just wish more people would be willing to do something. I just see all those trees that are already starting to get brown leafs. It is so sad! And who knows when we will get rain. Currently they say at the earliest at the end of next week, but that is still unlikely. Farms are truly suffering here!

there are not many outdoor pools around, I wish we had some

day 2 - 120. I was very hungry last night. Total - 662.

I am tired today. On the plus side there were two days I went over last week and I have been under this week.

Re free Friday - how many times a day you eat? Do you think it's better to have few bigger meals or more regular meals or snacks.

It's Free-For-All Friday!

Share something with us that is of interest for you, whether it is about healthy living, Disney or anything else.

Happy Weekend!

My thing to share is that I finally, more than a year after our return, have started the trip report from our trip to Shanghai and Japan last summer. In case anyone is interested to have a look, you can find it here:

An Enganging and Magical Asian Adventure

August 1: -586
August 2: -699
total: -1285

Looks like I am on a good track!

@HappyGrape That's an interesting question! I am trying to get back into the intermittent fasting thing. With that I seem to have three or four meals: lunch, afternoon snack and dinner. Depending on timing, there might be a second snack (morning if lunch is late or evening if dinner is early). Less meals, but closer together, seems to work better for me than lots of smaller meals more spread out. The reason being that I don't like small portions.

After lurking on the last two months threads, I would love to participate on this one.
I’m retired from working in a HS library now for two years-and managed to gain about 15lbs over my WW goal weight.
I went back to meetings about 4 weeks ago and am about 7lbs away from my goal, but will continue to lose another 5lbs- where I am actually comfortable.

@sjrec :welcome:

@Flossbolna I love your trip report! I had to show the photos to DS and DH. Now we all want to travel to Asia!

@HappyGrape I liked the article. It made a lot of sense and just reinforces things we all know.

I eat three meals a day plus a couple snacks. I usually have a morning snack (almonds) and may or may not have a snack before/after dinner.

I am having a wonderful morning. I slept in (well, 7 AM is sleeping in for me!), made a pot of tea, and have been surfing the net in my jammies. :cloud9: DH and I are talking about picking blueberries but there's a market today and we may just take the lazy way and buy some! I've used up all the bags of frozen fruit I was putting on my oatmeal. I think blueberries sound delicious. Our couple bushes are new and little and we've already picked them clean. I think it's time to get dressed and moving!

Have a great weekend!

Oh, I almost forgot calories: Thursday -97 Friday -715

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!