Amazed at ease in llast minute PS

erinch

Parsing the same ee cummings poem for 20 years
We are here in FL, staying at the Vistana for a couple of weeks, with Fun in the Sun passes. We are doing what we've never done before at WDW, which is being spontaneous. We've got enough time that we can wander to a park for a few hours, and not have to do it all in a time schedule.

I've always scheduled my PS's months out, and remember the mad dash at Epcot to the kiosks to try to get a dinner reservation.

So have been astounded to pick up the phone and make same day reservations-- so far for the Crystal Palace for lunch, Prime Time Cafe for lunch and San Angel for Dinner--all within 2-3 hours of my call. We wanted Japan at 6 and would have had to wait till 8, but other than that reservations have been wide open--in the last week of july.

Congrats! I'm so happy to hear this. We'll be going down in Sept; and this is our first trip with almost no PS's! I was planning on making them when we get there. Yea! One less thing for me to worry about.:D :D :D

On our last trip we called just a night or two before we wanted to go to Chef Mickey's for breakfast and got our preferred time no problem (granted, there were only 2 of us and this was the week after TG, so not too many crowds). I'll admit, that was much easier than trying to schedule PS's months in advance like I'm doing this time! Oh well! :p

This was my point exactly in the thread I started about not getting PSs. Unless there is an absolute must-eat place on your list, you have a large group, or have a very strict timetable for when you want to eat, I don't think advance PSs are usually necessary, especially during the off-season.

Steve

I have generally been very lucky making same-day PS from my room at WDW. However, last year there were a few "musts' on our list so I called about three weeks out and had no problem getting Cindy's, California Grill and 'Ohana for dinner. I think I had to adjust my day for Cindy's, but that was it. It does help to go in the fall!

Size of the party, that is.

This year, when we planned our July trip, my wife made oodles of PS reservations. But once we got down there, she had to cancel most of them, because she is undergoing surgery next month and is on a restricted diet. (The thought of eating mostly veggies or fish while seated next to someone wolfing down a burger or steak was too much to comprehend...so we ended up fixing a buncha meals in our room, the BC Villas...)

Anywho: we did eat out a few times, and ended up making ressies just a few hours before, and had NO problem. But it was just the two of us, and we ate early, usually at 5 or 5:30. Which, I suspect, may make a difference.

As I posted earlier, this year I have made almost no ps's. We are traveling in a group of 4 in mid September. I don't think we'll have any real problems.

Last trip was a different story. We were part of a group of 9 and we had ps's for at least one meal a day. It was more of a pain than I had thought it would be. The people in our group didn't want counter service for every meal; but also didn't like having to rush to make ps's when we were involved in something else. I told them next trip I'm only making ps's for my own family! ;)

this applies to Character Breakfasts too!! I have been dragging my feet, and at one point, just plain forgot about making PS's at our desired character breakfast, 1900 Park Fare. Tonight I was reading a thread where someone called and they were booked up for the day she wanted and that was 26 days after the day we want. :( :( :(

I'm calling first thing tomorrow morning!! I hope, I hope , I hope I'm not too late! With all the research and planning I've been doing for months how could I forget this! I'm so mad at myself!!!:mad:

We made a p.s. for lunch in the castle the same day. called 10 am had the p.s. for 2 or 2:30pm can't remember exact time. maybe since it was close to the 3pm parade There were several tables empty. this was 2 1/2 weeks ago. Brunos chicken was YUMMY!

and relieved:rolleyes:

Just called and had no problem getting 9:30 PS for 1900 Park Fare on 10/3!!!!! Exactly what we wanted.

Well, this eases my mind somewhat! Since the ps system is changing Monday, I have been worried about trying to get my dd & dniece (both 2) into the CRT princess breakfast! Also, I did read yesterday that they only save a small % of their ressies for ps's.

When we went last year, we changed our ps's almost daily, due to the needs of our 7 month old dd. And, we had no problem! Now, let's just cross our fingers that I can get CRT ressies! ;)

The night before we left, I wandered down to the Cape May Cafe to see about squeezing in for the character breakfast the next morning.

No problem. We wanted 7:30, got 7:40, and were seated by 7:45.

It was a pretty good breakfast. Not as good as the GF and 1900 Park Fare -- still, hands down, our fave! -- but the food was plentiful and filling and the characters fun. I only counted four: Chip, Dale, & Goofy worked the room, and Minnie held forth at the entry way.

Also: were I dreaming, or did they actually have Krispy Kreme donuts in the buffet??!! :Pinkbounc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter