Am I missing something? help a first timer out

Psymonds

Mouseketeer
  • Going with family, in June, staying 5 nights.
  • Have a luau reservation because that's my wife's priority. we are going on to Kauai with her family and they don't want to go there, so she wants to go here.
  • Have a reservation for the kids for some Auntie's activities.
  • I have sunscreen a swimsuit and a towel, maybe some other clothes packed too.
I heard about a bay nearby with turtles. Can anyone elaborate?

Are we forgetting something now that we'll regret when we get there?

We've done most of the Oahu attractions but our kids haven't. We didn't really anticipate taking more than 1 or 2 trips.

I guess I should say, we are most interested in the kids experiencing whatever is unique about Aulani because we will spend additional time on Kauai, so we can lounge by the pool or beach there if we do other things at Aulani.

also, if we booked a 2BR island garden view we don't really know what type of room we'll get? seems like the most prevalent type of room, could be low, could be high, could be just about anywhere...

people talk about requesting rooms, are there desirable qualities? (low? high?)

The cove with the turtles that everyone talks about is next door to Aulani. This thread gives great instructions for exactly how to get to it. It's a short walk from the main Aulani entrance. https://www.disboards.com/threads/c...dited-now-with-directions-and-photos.3501609/

I'm not sure if you're looking for Aulani-specific ideas, or Oahu in general? I think you mean Aulani... so I'll answer for that. If your kids care about Disney characters, you might want to make character dining reservations. That's definitely something you can't do on Kauai! For adults, the spa is amazing. Otherwise, there isn't much else you need to do in advance to prepare. Ama'Ama is generally well-regarded, and my crew liked the Makahiki buffet a lot for dinner, but not everyone loves it (I suspect it has to do with how much your family can destroy an AYCE buffet!). If you want to eat at either place, you should make advance reservations. In terms of stuff you shouldn't miss while you're there - we really loved Uncle's fireside story-telling, and watching a movie on the lawn was relaxing and a great way to cap off a busy day. My kids liked using the lazy river the most at dusk/dark when everything is all lit up, and because it cools down - hardly anyone is around. (We were there Memorial Day weekend into June last year.) The beach equipment that you can borrow was a bit of a mess - not enough to go around. If your kids liked building sandcastles, one hint is to check out the beach at dusk and gather stuff up for the following day! People don't return everything, or they still have it checked out when the shop closes for the day. Oh, and do the menehune hunt, which is cute and unique!

Thanks! I think mostly Aulani specific ideas. I have done Oahu before and we have family on the island.

we do have character dining reservations.

we will hit up the ideas you have listed.

for rainbow reef, is that a good place for working with my 6 year old on snorkeling? she's not a fan of waves.

For your room question, this thread will give you everything you need:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/aulani-villas-views-updated-04-25-2017.2907389/

Highly recommend the Menehune trail; our kids had a blast with that. For the snorkeling--rainbow reef is a very good way to start, the water is clear, and lots of sealife. However, I wouldn't be afraid to take them also in the lagoons--very calm there as well, and in my book more fun as you stumble across new fish and animals. I would however, go to the lagoon in front of the condos next to the Marriott Beach Club; much less crowded there and more fish from our experience.

Which luau are you doing?

that's good about the lagoons! out 8 year old will like that. on kauai he's trying to get ready for a reef with small waves, so he'll like the deeper more in depth area to practice.

thanks for the view thread!.

we are doing the luau at Aulani. My wife picked it so I'm not sure it's up for discussion ;).

Thanks! I think mostly Aulani specific ideas. I have done Oahu before and we have family on the island.

we do have character dining reservations.

we will hit up the ideas you have listed.

for rainbow reef, is that a good place for working with my 6 year old on snorkeling? she's not a fan of waves.
We were glad we did rainbow reef. My daughter loved it. I took the kids while DH was in the gym, so he went back with her another time. My son - disaster. Thank goodness we tried in a controlled situation like that. We had our own masks at home for them to practice on, but I guess he never used it in the same way you do when you're actually trying to look at wildlife. Turns out he just could not properly keep the snorkel in his mouth. He's 8 now and got partial braces early for a couple of reasons (and will have a regular full set eventually as well) and I think he literally could not hold his mouth shut around it b/c of his overbite. After a very frustrating 30min of trying, he gave up. So it's definitely a good practice place for "real" snorkeling in open water. Be forewarned it is COLD in there!!

A couple other things came to me. One was b/c you mentioned Rainbow Reef. One other thing both my kids enjoyed a lot was feeding the koi; the CM who cares for them also cares for the fish in Rainbow Reef, and we really enjoyed talking with her. We came on the tail end of it, but she kept giving the kids a bit more, and they essentially had the fish all to themselves while we chatted b/c everyone else had left. And if you have an artsy child - sign up for the animation class!! They learn to draw a character and then paint an animation cell. DD, DH and I did one while DS spaced out on video games elsewhere in the room, and DD loved it so much she did it again another day with DH. The lead CM will draw different characters, and there are a few cell options so you don't do the same thing twice. I can't believe I forgot to mention that, as it is in the top 3 favorite things DD did there.

Where is the animation?

I've heard about photo classes, is that for older kids?

Where is the animation?

Animation (and ukulele classes) are in the Pau Hana room. If you get your activity schedule after dinner for the following day, you will see what activities need pre-registration. You then have to show up at Pau Hana in the morning to sign up and guarantee a spot. I showed up 15min or so before it opened on the days we wanted an activity. I've heard people talking about crazy lines for some activities but we didn't experience that. There were usually a few people ahead of me, and a few behind, but not enough to constitute a crowd. Must depend on the time of year, but I signed up for activities on 3 separate days and that was always the way it was for me. There is no way to sign up in advance of the day the activity occurs for these free things. The Pau Hana room is a good thing to mention, b/c that's where you check out the tablets for the menehune trail as well, and you can check out board games too. One time we even showed up there to return a game and found the CMs with bags of orchids... some mistake with an extra shipment for the leis meant they had way more than they needed, so they were just handing out bags of orchids to anyone who wanted them! They gave us threaded plastic needles to use to make our own leis. It was kind of crazy, I almost felt bad taking this whole bag of flowers but she said they would otherwise get tossed, and they did keep in the fridge for a number of days at least!

I don't remember photography classes, but to be honest, no one in my family is a photographer so no one would have wanted to take it anyway. If it's something you pay for, maybe you can book it on the phone now?

nice. (I would have expected happy hour in the pau hana room!) we will check it out.

so far I've got:
  • luau
  • snorkeling at paradise cove/rainbow reef/shore in front
  • animation in pau hana room
  • auntie's beach house
  • check schedule for activities.
  • evening lazy river
  • talk to CM's who care for fish
  • character breakfast/ meet and greets
  • fireside storytelling
  • movie on lawn.

I think we can manage most of that.

• play and relax

ok,

Three more questions:

1. Are there any crushed penny machines at Aulani? DS8 collects them, need to know whether to haul pounds of coinage across the ocean for him.

2. Is there somewhere I can find the pricing for various experiences? like the premium aunties' experiences?

3. If I have a reservation for Makahiki on a menuhene mischief night, at the appropriate time, is that the same as having a reservation for the show or do I need to call somewhere separate for that?

1. Are there any crushed penny machines at Aulani? DS8 collects them, need to know whether to haul pounds of coinage across the ocean for him.
My friend who is there now always watches for machines for me. On her last trip, she brought me pennies from the Dole plantation. This trip she said she saw machines at Pearl Harbor and Kualoa Ranch. I was thinking she brought a quarter from Aulani, but I think I'm remembering the Lilo quarter from the Poly instead.

I found a list online (presscoins.com I think) of all the machines in Hawaii, but you know how often those things get moved or taken out of service. YMMV. I'm taking a small tube of coins just in case, and I will report back any that I find.

I found a list online (presscoins.com I think) of all the machines in Hawaii, but you know how often those things get moved or taken out of service. YMMV. I'm taking a small tube of coins just in case, and I will report back any that I find.

I may take this approach, but may make DS put it in his carry-on...

We just got back from Aulani during our first ever trip to Hawaii and we did the Paradise Cove luau (which we both thought was excellent) since for both of us, having a luau inside and without the fire aspect just didn't seem like a luau. And I don't think the pricing was discounted either. The last I heard was that the move back outdoors was mid-June, though that may have changed, so you may end up outdoors. But if you are definitley set on a Disney luau and don't mind possibly being inside, then go for it!

DD, 15, took a photo class. You did have to pay extra for it and it was booked through the photo pass desk. I don't think it is restricted to kids, there could be adults in the class. The day she went, she was the only one in the class and loved it. DW tagged along because DD was only teen and they did not mind, but DW did not do any photography.

ok,

confirmed via Email that there are no crushed penny machines.

DD, 15, took a photo class. You did have to pay extra for it and it was booked through the photo pass desk. I don't think it is restricted to kids, there could be adults in the class. The day she went, she was the only one in the class and loved it. DW tagged along because DD was only teen and they did not mind, but DW did not do any photography.
I'll check it out when we get there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter