• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Am I in for disappointments all week?

Mrsjvb

DIS Veteran
I have been reading up on this Free dining thing, as well as the DDP. We have Ressies at SoG, so cannot take advantage of either program. as for making reservations 180 days out.. Not possible, we didn't know until 3 weeks ago that his leave was approved, and we have NO clue as to how each day will play out for us, as I am handicapped, and I may not be up to doing a specific park on a certain day.

We had hoped to get there Sunday afternoon( the 16th), check in, and decide on a couple of TS restaurants once we got there and had a look-see. the 19th is our anniversary, and we absolutely want TS in DTD that night before our Cirq show.

Now, every time we have done DisneyLand(again always in September) we never had issues getting TS reservations for later that same day, or upon arrival and we decide Day one is CA and Day 2 is DL: or however.

We have DDP in the past, and found it not always to be what we wanted, especially using up the snacks. Frankly, I;d rather play it by Mouse ear.

Am I going to have huge difficulties getting ANY TS reservations anywhere? let alone in restaurants we'd prefer to eat? do we need to prepare our selves for a let down, or are there tricks, such as eating very late or very early to help alleviate the possibility of being shut out?

I absolutely WILL NOT be happy if we can't get into a nice enough restaurant for our anniversary. DH has never been to WDW, and it's been over 20 years for me, so I have no clue as to what food offerings are available where,let alone what we might be in the mood for on a particular day. Should i stick to the resorts, even if that means eating at SoG for breakfast and dinner every day?

If I were you, I would sit down and look at the TS to see what you may want for your anniversary. I know it's hard to say for sure what you may want to eat, but if you do that, at least you won't be disappointed if there are no ADR's available. There are several sites online that list the menus from the different TS at WDW.

Good luck! :)

Pick a few restaurants you would like to dine at for your anniversary and call asap to see if you can get in at least one of them before the show. The DDP has made it difficult to wing it at meals if you want to do mostly TS. Even the resort restaurants get booked up. Since you're staying at SOG, you could try to get ADRs for Kona at Poly. Even if you don't know what parks you'll be visiting or how you'll be feeling, Poly isn't too far to travel. Also, Mangino's at SOG is excellent. You can make a reservation the same day you want to dine, so there's no need to plan way ahead. Check out the menus on www.allearsnet.com to help in your plans.

We are here now and have gotten in several spots by walking up

Sci Fi
Crystal Palace
ESPN (they don't take reservations anyway though)

And heading out to find a spot tonight as well.

Liz

I have always found that the resort restaurants are fairly easy to get into and offer, IMO and generally speaking, a superior dining experience to those in the park. There are some however- O'hana and Chef Mickey's come to mind-that fill up pretty fast. But I've had good luck with last minute tables at Artist's Point, Jiko, Flying Fish, and Yachtsman's Steakhouse to name a few.

been on hold twenty minutes. thank goodness for unlimited LD! But boy does the sound quality suck on the Muzak :eek:

If all else fails we will try a resort instead of DT. we are doing the 9 pm show so we wouldn't be too terribly pressed for time.

SUCCESS!!! Huzzzah! :cool1: If nothing else, our anniversary is covered.

is it next Sunday yet?!

SUCCESS!!! Huzzzah! :cool1: If nothing else, our anniversary is covered.

is it next Sunday yet?!

I wish! We arrive on the 16th too! SOG is so nice! It is not real Disneyfied, but that can be good too. The recent remodel has really helped.

Good to hear you got your anniversary ADR :thumbsup2 .
You can always do Beaches and Cream and ESPN (they don't take ADRs- only do walk ups).

Sometimes you can call WDWDine the same day you want to dine and get it, whereas if you just walk up you may be told 'no walk-ups'. It's certainly worth a try.

I have seen that just the opposite too though -- where guests are told nothing is available. And at the restaurant I happen to be less than 20 minutes later the restaurant were taking walk ups. :confused3
It really is luck of the draw.
Best to always get what ADR you can, even if it is a few hours in advance. Some places you probably just won't be able to get in. Some no issues at all. You will just need to be flexible on time and location. And you may end up spending extra time between last minute tracking and running around. You may not get your first, second or even third choice, or desired time. But you will get something.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter