Am I crazy to to think about going back to school to become a nurse?

Hi there, I want to invite you to check out this website:www.allnurses.com

There is a wealth of information available there, including a forum specifically for student nurses. I have been a member there for many years :thumbsup2

I'm very interested in becoming a nurse. I really have no need for a career other than I am feeling the need to find some self fulfillment in my life. I'm very fortunate in that my dh provides a good income for our family of 5 and I'm able to stay home. But this is something I've though of for quite some time and now that my youngest will be in school in 2 years I think it may be time to take that leap.

I'm 33 and haven't been in school for 15 years! :scared1: I know I would have to start at the very beginning. Just how hard are the nursing classes? Would I be able to take the classes and still be there for my kids? Or would this completely consume me until I was done with the program?

We have a fabulous nursing school in my city and I could earn my assoc. there.

Advice?

NOPE not crazy. I just read an artical that Nurses are in need bad!!

I'm very interested in becoming a nurse. I really have no need for a career other than I am feeling the need to find some self fulfillment in my life. I'm very fortunate in that my dh provides a good income for our family of 5 and I'm able to stay home. But this is something I've though of for quite some time and now that my youngest will be in school in 2 years I think it may be time to take that leap.

I'm 33 and haven't been in school for 15 years! :scared1: I know I would have to start at the very beginning. Just how hard are the nursing classes? Would I be able to take the classes and still be there for my kids? Or would this completely consume me until I was done with the program?

My friend went to school to be a nurse a couple years agoo after being an aide for 20 years- she said she was actually surprised at her class-most of the people were older, in fact one of the people was 60 and just going to school for nursing! My daughter is always teasing her that she is to old to still be in school (she is 45) but she just likes to bust her chops.

Advice?

I don't personally agree with working while going to school if you don't have to. School is taxing enough and then you still come home and have to be mommy until bedtime. I received PLENTY of clinical experience through my college. Plus the CNA part is great your first few semesters, but it doesn't really carry you through. That's just my opinion though.

Best of luck to you in whatever you decide!

Right now my friend is doing her hospital training (whatever they call going in and working the day for no pay)- and then staying for her 8 hour shift of work so she is in the hospital she works at for about 16 hours a day! She has no small kids at home though so all she has to listen to is her husband whining that she is never home LOL.

My dh is behind it 100% because he sees that I sense this void in my life. And he knows how much I enjoy taking care of others. I think I would enjoy anything from newborns to geriatrics. I'm a former preschool teacher ( for 9 years) and just love little ones. But I also helped take care of my grandmother until she passed at the age of 102. Those are times I will always cherish.

I know my dh will be on board helping with the kids... but my house... oh my poor beautiful house. :lmao:

And luckily I won't have to work while in the program so that will help some.

You've mentioned several times you wouldn't be working for the money but some type of inner fulfillment, maybe some type of volunteer position would fit into your schedule & needs better. :idea:

If you're worried about too many hours being away from your kids, since you are so great with the elderly, how about some type of volunteer position at nursing homes or senior centers? Especially with your teaching background, you might be able to develop your own programs for working with them. They are some of these most neglected people on the planet. :hug:

I thank all of you for your wonderful insight and advice. I've decided I'm going to look into it further and go from there.

Thanks again. :goodvibes

I think its great. I know this is so cliche but it really is never too late to go back to school. I am 35 and have had the same thought until recently. It really has nothing to do with going back to school though, I passed out at one of my dd's ENT appointments, and the doc said "I sure hope you weren't planning on being a nurse". Of course I was too emabarrassed to say I have always wanted to be but now that dream is shattered :lmao:

You get one chance at this life, you should do whatever you need to to make it a happy one. Good Luck! :thumbsup2

I am 35 and am finishing up nursing school this year with 2 kids (they are 5 and 7 now).

I started by taking night classes to get my prerequisites done before applying to school. One thing I would suggest is to do some research about programs...the program I am enrolled in has a very good reputation at all the hospitals in the area and we are snatched up before we graduate. It's a competitive acceptance, which means if you have a 4.0 and score great on your entrance exam you are in - no waiting list. You can wait for years, but if you don't have the grades, you won't get in. It makes it nice because everyone in class is driven to succeed and not there just taking up space.

It's tough with little kids, but not impossible. Make sure you find a support system before getting into a program...you will need it. There is no days off - sick kid? You can't call into a clinical - someone will have to watch your child. One of the reasons I took my time with my prereqs is so that my kids would be in school full time when I started the full time nursing program. It has worked out great.

If you decide to do it, find some money. You'd be shocked at the amount of grants and scholarships out there for nontraditional students. For example, I spent one week this summer applying, writing papers for, and researching all the grants I could. I ended up getting my classes and books fully paid for, and being given more than $6,000 back in cash because of all the grants that I qualified for. It helps that there is such a shortage of nurses. The money is there...they just need to find a qualified student to give it to.

Hi there, I want to invite you to check out this website:www.allnurses.com

There is a wealth of information available there, including a forum specifically for student nurses. I have been a member there for many years :thumbsup2
Great site.....I have been a RN for 16 years, mostly in cardiac and ICU and I love what I do. Of course some days are frustrating, some days are tougher than others, but overall it's what I love to do.

You can also see locations where new grads are having difficulty getting jobs and where some hospitals are cutting back period and having hiring freezes.......

Many areas have great needs....others are saturated.

Doing a job you love is a blessing. If nursing interests you, do it. If you can't find the time to attend traditional classes, I'm pretty sure you can get a fully accredited nursing degree totally online at excelsior.edu.

My DH is going back to school for nursing. After this Spring Semester, he will have all the prerequisits done and will have a general associates degree. He is almost 39 and the only thing I am worried about for him is the long waiting lists to get accepted into a Nursing Program. He doesn't have a 4.0 GPA, but it is 3.5. Any suggestions I can give to him? I did write down Cool-Beans suggestion about getting a book on pharmacology.

I thank all of you for your wonderful insight and advice. I've decided I'm going to look into it further and go from there.

Yeahhh!!! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

I started nursing school in October of last year. I will just turn 44 when I graduate and it feels great to be in school. There is one gal older than me in my class, but older students are in the nursing programs. I am so excited to pursuing this dream.

I think its great. I am just finishing up a few core reqs and I am applying for the nursing program in the spring.
I know you said your youngest will be in school in 2 years. I would see what classes you can take online. I was able to do most of my classes online- Psych 102 & 210, Eng 101, MTH, SOC 110, but every school has different requirements.
That way you can get most of the classes out of the way and you will be on your pay to the program faster.

I went back at the age of 32 and my kids were 3, 8 & 9 at the time. I earned my AD over three years, taking a few classes in the evening during the summer to speed things up. I was lucky that my best friend and neighbor was home with her son during the day, so she watched my youngest while the older two were in school when I had classes. You definitely have to be organized and determined, but you can do it. I also worked part-time as a hair stylist while I was going to school for nursing, in the evenings and Saturdays, when my husband was home. I think getting my RN was the best move I ever made.

Jenny, 33 is young!! If you really want to be a nurse and have the support of your family, I say go for it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Of course some of the courses will be difficult, but nothing worthwhile comes easily.

The satisfaction you'll have at the end of your journey will be well worth the effort.

FWIW, one of my very good friends went back to school at 47 to become a nurse. She graduated about a year ago and is so happy with her decision. It's never too late to pursue your goals.

Please let me know what you decide, I am almost in the exact same boat as you. I am older and my kids are a little older. I have always wanted to be a nurse, but life got in the way, I am terrible at making decisions for myself, so whatever you decide is good with me. lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter