• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

???? am I a snob????

cavecricket

Disney Bride -to- Wife / DIsney Mom to be! July 4t
ok .... i was a true believer in "value" such as the All Stars Or POP or even Fort Wilderness Camping.......however, I stayed at AKL ( never stayed even moderate) and now i refuse to stay anywhere else. Im curious if this happens to many people who "convert" seriously I would rather have 4 part-time jobs to afford AKL then go back to "value" it was a wonderful time. My bf always complained because i would get up at 5am get ready drag his carcass out of bed and rush into the parks (as im sure many do) for years this was my itinerary, which drove him crazy. but when we satyed at AKL i was alot more "relaxed" and hung out by the pool or just kinda hung around, he was thrilled!!! anyway, to me its worth it. my mother jokingly called me a snob because i refuse to go value again.

um - look at my signature. (And we are staying at AKL AGAIN in 2 weeks! But staying 2 night at FW)

AKL does that to you! (Did you stay concierge? oh my god...DH totally spoils me with it!)

and no - you are not a snob...there is a resort out there for everyone. Personally, DH and I would rather stay off-site then at a Value Resort...that's our own opinion...we dont' need to justify that to anyone.

I was HAPPY at moderates...then he had to splurge on our Honeymoon...heheheh

My DH calls us "Disney Hotel Snobs." We refuse to stay at anything BUT deluxes now. Our favorite is WL, but we're trying the CR on our upcoming trip. We've stayed at GF, Polynesian and AKL, but also at Caribbean Beach and Coronado. We like the mods, hate the values and LOVE the deluxes! So, yes, we are hotel snobs!!!

Anytime at WDW is better no matter where you stay - than non Disney.....

do what makes you happy!!!

We have tried all of the Deluxes and love them all...but are truly AKL snobs! My wife refuses to stay anywhere else anymore. She received her degree in Biology, & applied to work at the Animal Kingdom (unfortunately her speciality was marine turtles...oh, well) so she loves giving me the rundown on all of the wildlife as we stand on our balcony...everytime. Over and over!! Just kidding!
I think though that people can be All Star snobs as well. I've never stayed at one, but many of the people on these boards are hard core with their devotion to the All Stars.

Well, if your a snob, than I am to ::yes::

We've never stayed at a value resort, only moderates and this last time we splurged on a Deluxe.

In talking about planning another trip, my dh said he would be willing to stay value if it meant the trip would be MUCH cheaper and would for sure enable us to go.
I just can't bring myself to do that........he called me spoiled !

I really would consider a moderate again, especially CSR, if it meant the difference between going and not going.
But my heart is now with WL . I just loved all the transportation options and convienences.
Now I'm afraid to even try AKL.We truly had planned on trying it, but............

I am a snob for concierge now too... there is just no going back :)

I would never stay AKL without it.

DVC made a snob out of us - once we stayed in our "Home away from home", there was NEVER going back to a "hotel room", ever again - I love my kitchen for late night snacks and easy breakfasts, I love the spaciousness, I love the washer/dryer so I wash it all the night before we leave and come home with suitcases that are full of CLEAN clothes, making my homecoming less stressful, I LOVE it all.

:)

I am proud to say that I am Disney Hotel Snob. I tried a moderate (CBR) and absolutely hated it. The entire time I wish I was at any of the deluxes. The pics I've seen of the values hold absolutely no appeal. Two years ago I wa lucky to go to a conference in Orlando, it was at the ROsen Centre. It was about $200.00 a night, what a waste of money. If I ever get to go to another conference in Orlando (hopefully in May), I am going to ask my boss if I can pick the hotel.

TooBoyz4us said:
...But my heart is now with WL . I just loved all the transportation options and convienences.
Now I'm afraid to even try AKL.We truly had planned on trying it, but............
If your are afraid to try AKL bcs it might steal your heart away form yuour current favorite, then be afraid, be very afraid. ;)

For us it's gotta be either one of the DVC resorts (we own at BWV, and really enjoy it there) or someplace really cool like AKL (plus I've always wanted to try the Poly). DS (7) & I are monster AKL fans after a week-long stay there in 2003, while DW likes the convenience of the BW location but agrees AKL is cool and DD (now 5) thinks the best Disney resort is the one where she has just stayed. We'll be moving from 2 rooms at AKL to a 2BR at BWV in April, so we will be able to compare back to back.

I don't think we've gotten to complete "snob" level, as we'd stay at some of the Mods (POFQ and CSR, perhaps), but then since we're DVC owners now, we don't need to make that choice since.

We used to stay at only deluxe properties (since they sleep 5 plus a baby it was worth it to us). We stayed at Poly, Swan, AKL, WL (not all of us, though), andCR. Then we stayed at CSR and liked it for the most part, excpet the walk to the main building. Then last Feb I stayed at Pop and liked that. In September my husband and I stayed at CBR and again at WL and wished we'd stayed at CBR since we ended up next to a very noisy last at WL, but that could happen anywhere. Last month I stayed a few nights at POR and a couple at Pop (with an offsite timeshare for a week in the middle). In a few weeks I'll be at Pop for a couple nights and then POFQ for 3 nights.

What I've decided is that any of the properties are wonderful as long as you go into it expecting what the resort is. IE, don't expect a deluxe resort when staying at a moderate or value. They are all wonderful in different ways!

T&B

We have yet to stay at a deluxe resort, but on our last trip we moved up to moderate for the first time. About 5 min. after we checked in and walked into the room, my husband said "We're never staying at All-Star again!" :D

Personally, I didn't mind the All-Stars as far as a hotel. The main difference to me was the peace! At All-Stars we always heard kids and families running down the halls, talking, yelling, whatever. This trip we were at French Quarter...not a peep!! I imagine once we step up to a deluxe, we will want to stay there as well!!

Yep, I heard it is called RAD (resort anxiety disorder). I officially have it. Always have stayed at moderates. Well this past December I stayed at Value for the first time. Personally I would never pay rack rate to stay there. Just me though. While nothing wrong with them, I will do everything I can to stay somewhere else on property unless it means I can't go to Disney at all.

I won't stay off site though to avoid it, just can't bring myself to do that :)

I like the value resorts (at least AsSports and Movies). I liked the themeing and the food court. The rooms were ok for the time I was there. I've never stayed a week with 4 people in them either, so I never felt crowded.

However, I've also stayed at the Poly (loved it) and WL (it was okay. Just not my fave).

If it meant going or not going, I'd stay at a value in a heartbeat. Don't think I'll ever stay off-site again (unless maybe it was free).

Terri

Our first 2 trips were at CBR, we loved it except the 2nd trip was in Trinidad South which was too far for us to walk to Olde Port Royale.

Our next trip was at All-Star Music - we said "Why do a moderate? This is great!" We had a preferred room.

We then did All-Star Movies - it was ok, liked the Music layout slightly better.

Then came WL - I was sick during that trip - but my DS13 and niece loved it, we could see Wishes from the balcony every night, the boats came regularly - we were in heaven.....

BUT THEN.......

My wife and I took a trip for 2 to the AKL this past Columbus day weekend - we had a Savannah view room... She now says she doesn't know if she can go anywhere else - we both loved it. Our only complaint was that the hallways were very cold when walking to our room.

We may return to WL this december.... but I have heard mention of AKL again....

I guess we are AKL snobs now.

I have stayed in many different levels of hotels over the years everything from Mom & Pop establishments to 5 stars. At Disney, I have only stayed at the ASMu and POP. I loved them both. Not to say that I wouldn't mind staying at AKL, because I would like to wake up and see wild critters on the savannah outside my window. However, I go to Disney for the parks and the resort attractions, not the hotel. We enjoyed visiting the monorail hotels last year and seeing a few other places in the process of a pin pursuit. It was nice, but I just can't see spending the extra money on a room.....it's just supposed to be a clean, safe, air-conditioned/heated, bug free place to hold our stuff while we play. The hotel that I would most like to stay in is the Poly. I loved the feel of the resort, but I didn't like it for 4 times the price of the room that I had at POP. The more money that I save on the room, means that I have more money for other Disney experiences, pins, and other goodies.

I'll just stay in the values. For the record, I don't consider it being a snob to want to stay in the deluxe hotels, it just means that you most likely have different priorities and budgets. Maggie

Oh no, I was afraid of this. I was just talking to my boys last night about our trip this past August and the one we're planning for '07. Next time we'd like to stay longer, maybe 10 days or more but that may mean staying at, dare I say it? Value or moderate. Please don't get the wrong impression, there's nothing wrong with staying at either. But we got so spoiled at the BC. We're not wealthy by any means, and I had to really budget for our vacation. Being our first trip, I wanted to go all out and we did. Now the boys want to return to the BC. Decisions, decisions.... :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter