Alumni/Current participants...is it still magical?

Bounce_Tigger

Your super-awesome safari guide for the next two w
Disney is such a magical place for me and I love being there. I applied for the Fall08 CP (my interview is TOMORROW!) and I'm worried that if I work there it will lose the magic and just become "a job" I've talked to a lot of people that love the program, but I guess I'm worried that I will dread Disney things halfway through!
Do you spend a lot of time in the parks of your off days? Thats one of the perks I'm most excited about, but will I really want to hang around Disney on my off days?
Thanks! Hopefully I'll see some of you in the fall!

Disney is such a magical place for me and I love being there. I applied for the Fall08 CP (my interview is TOMORROW!) and I'm worried that if I work there it will lose the magic and just become "a job" I've talked to a lot of people that love the program, but I guess I'm worried that I will dread Disney things halfway through!
Do you spend a lot of time in the parks of your off days? Thats one of the perks I'm most excited about, but will I really want to hang around Disney on my off days?

I guess I will take first crack at this one.... I did my program Fall 2005 and since then I LOVE everything Disney. I had the best time in the world and as far as losing the magic, some people say they do for me I never did. My roommate was friends with pluto and I would see her backstage taking off the costume and as soon as she put it back on I was like "Theres Pluto!" I think it all depends on the person really. Although the one time the magic was ruined "Tigger" was coming to meet up with someone I worked with (backstage) and he asked where she was. That ruined it for me but that was the one and only time and the rest of my program we all had a big lauhg about it.

As far as the parks go, I went to all four of them tons of times and never got sick of them. I didn't have a car down there so I didn't have too much choice as to where I could go. The good thing about visiting the parks is that you have months to explore them so you are not in a rush to see everything in just a few days. Again everyone is different but this is just how my experience went.

To me Work as work. I never been to disney before i did my program. I did love playing in the parks and all that. I plan on going back this Fall for another program.

~~Edit~~ i was in Custodial

I had a less than magical role as a custodian. Don't get me wrong--I had great guest interaction and got to walk around a lot, but still, I was in the restrooms a lot too and sometimes it was hard to whistle while I worked.

I, too, wondered if the parks would the be the same for me, but the magic did NOT die. It was like I was operating in two modes. When I was there to work, I was there to work and create magic and all that. When I was there to play, I was a guest again and the parks retained all of the magic that they had beforehand.

And I also know I love Disney so much now, after being a custodian, because I want to go back! If that doesn't test someone's love, I don't know what else will!

What roles did you put down on your role checklist? If you emphasize to your recruiter certain areas of interest they will often try to put you there. I recommend attractions.
Attractions is my top pick. I also said Character attendant, VP, main Ops and Hosp (which I know I won't get)
The interviewer only asked me Attraction questions and she asked ALOT of questions about how comfortable I am in front of large groups, with long spiels and driving big vehicles (to which I replied "um, like a bus?" And she said "no, no, like, in AK - the Safari.")
That leads me to believe that I'll be placed in attractions, but I'd be happy with pretty much anything!

Attractions is my top pick. I also said Character attendant, VP, main Ops and Hosp (which I know I won't get)
The interviewer only asked me Attraction questions and she asked ALOT of questions about how comfortable I am in front of large groups, with long spiels and driving big vehicles (to which I replied "um, like a bus?" And she said "no, no, like, in AK - the Safari.")
That leads me to believe that I'll be placed in attractions, but I'd be happy with pretty much anything!

Good sign! My interviewer only asked me questions about Monorails and I was accepted into Transportation.

The magic could never die for me. I have done the CP 3 times, and will be doing my 4th CP this summer. My roles were merchandise, character attendant, and custodial (and am doing QSFB this summer). I am graduating next May, and will be going back again (although, with DL now offering housing, I may consider that).

Yes, I spent a LOT of spare time in the parks. It was so much fun!

the magic is still there, after my CP ive gone back several times, i actually just got back 2 days ago from spring break and every time i get goosebumps....

The magic still lives.

There's a lot of truth in the argument that work is work and play is play. While working, my experiences could have a large varying range of enjoyment and 'pixie-dust', but when I was playing in the parks, that feeling of 'suspension of disbelief' still stood at the forefront, and even to this day I can't wait to be back at a Disney theme park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter