Aluminum Foil Coffins (Baked Potato Survey)

jcb

always emerging from hibernation
We know Julie's family and the Echols' clan preferred the aluminum foil coffin baked potatoes. We know what Kevin's mom thought.

How do you prefer your baked potato?

I got away from the aluminum foil coffin years ago (unless I'm cooking baked potatoes in a camp fire - which is the absolute best way to cook a potato, in my opinion) but primarily because I'm too cheap to waste aluminum foil.

I only wrap them in foil if they're going on the grill. Otherwise, they go in the oven without foil or in the microwave if I'm short on time.

I only wrap them in foil if they're going on the grill. Otherwise, they go in the oven without foil or in the microwave if I'm short on time.

That is the only way I put foil on a potato...on the grill or over the campfire.

www.howtobakeapotato.com

(I'm not making this up.)

I side with Kevin (and his mom's) method as posted on that website....with one exception. Do NOT salt the potato before cooking. Save the salt for finishing after it is cooked. Salting before cooking draws moisture to the surface which is the enemy of a crisp skin.

I agree- foil only for a campfire or the grill. That's how my mama raised me. My ex (and his family for that matter) cook taters in the aluminum foil coffin. Perhaps this explains why we are no longer together. :rolleyes1

Directly in the oven on the racks. Alton Brown "style" with vegetable oil and salt rubbed over the entire skin. Delicious stuff right there :)

I like mine rubbed in oil and placed naked on the rack, I wrap Dh's in foil (no accounting for taste).

In the oven on a rack , then in a warmer

I do like the Potat-Oh microwave ones though

I generally wash the spud, pat dry, then sprinkle with coarse salt. Then I wrap in a piece of parchment, and then a piece of foil. Bake in a 400 degree oven.

I get really nice skins on them (and I'm someone that eats the whole potato) and they are never soggy or have hard spots.

I am late to the party but will answer anyway -

I clean them, put olive oil on the skin and just bake them plain like that in the oven.

Sometimes I will skip the olive oil and just microwave them until almost done and then put some olive oil on them before putting them in the oven to finish - this is if I'm low on baking time.

When cooking outdoors on the grill, I'll put olive oil on them and then wrap them in foil and put them on the grill or into the edge of the fire pit if we are camping which isn't often anymore.

Yum - I think I'll buy some at the grocery store tomorrow. Love a good baked potato. :)

I used to use foil, but I don't now...just wash them, poke them and put in the oven.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter